• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young: Sprained Ankle (Reportedly back for SA gm TUE)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Helped that we played a very lean part of our schedule. Crazy to think we've played just once in the last six nights.

Very true. This could have been a lot worse. I'm still concerned about having to rely so much on one player to compete. I know the Rooks will take some time to get up to speed, but I really hope this team doesn't become Trae and "the others". Collins, Bembry, and Parker had their moments over the past few games and I hope that continues after Trae gets back. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Very true. This could have been a lot worse. I'm still concerned about having to rely so much on one player to compete. I know the Rooks will take some time to get up to speed, but I really hope this team doesn't become Trae and "the others". Collins, Bembry, and Parker had their moments over the past few games and I hope that continues after Trae gets back. 

I think the plan this year was that it was going to have to be Trae and "the others". This team won 29 games last year and all we've added are rookies. This team as construncted will have to rely on Trae to play at a superstar level to make the playoffs. Hunter was always supposed to be a glue type guy, not a go to scorer, and Cam was a lottery ticket that we knew would take several years to cash in even if it was a winner. There was some talk of Collins expanding his game, but I think it's pretty evident that he is just too lean to create for himself inside and to much of a "big" to beat shorter players off the dribble in the perimeter, so he is never going to be the guy that can carry a team without the help of other players setting him up.

Our roster is still in the developmental stage and so far the only player that has "it", is Trae. Eventually we will need to add another guy like that if we want to compete at the highest levels, but right now we are going to go as far as Trae's shoulder's can carry us and absolutely no farther than that. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Our roster is still in the developmental stage and so far the only player that has "it", is Trae. Eventually we will need to add another guy like that if we want to compete at the highest levels, but right now we are going to go as far as Trae's shoulder's can carry us and absolutely no farther than that. 

Good analysis.  Given the current makeup of the roster, I wonder if that 'other' guy will be a center.  IMO, That seems to be the only position currently where there isn't a clear cut building block on the roster.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you are looking at another potential MVP caliber player, it could be someone at any position on the roster.  I do think it is likely we see a significant trade, FA additional at center and/or our first round pick on a center this offseason (if no in-season trade).

Agreed on a trade. I think we will stand pat with no major moves this February deadline but during draft and summer it might be on.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AHF said:

If you are looking at another potential MVP caliber player, it could be someone at any position on the roster.  I do think it is likely we see a significant trade, FA additional at center and/or our first round pick on a center this offseason (if no in-season trade).

I agree. We are not built and our young players are far from their peak. I really like what I have seen so far from Hunter, Reddish, and Bruno defensively. Our team is so long now, it is like opponents are having to deal with a octopus.

• Premium Member

I'm torn between getting back into the Lottery versus hovering at .500 and sneaking into the Playoffs. We do need another piece, preferably at Center, but I'm not sure this team is bad enough to get that piece in the Draft (Wiseman). Maybe it would be better if the Hawks snuck into the Playoffs? If they make some noise, they may draw the attention of potential future free agents. My point is, I know the Hawks need another "alpha", but I'm not sure the best way to acquire that alpha at this point.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

59 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I'm torn between getting back into the Lottery versus hovering at .500 and sneaking into the Playoffs. We do need another piece, preferably at Center, but I'm not sure this team is bad enough to get that piece in the Draft (Wiseman). Maybe it would be better if the Hawks snuck into the Playoffs? If they make some noise, they may draw the attention of potential future free agents. My point is, I know the Hawks need another "alpha", but I'm not sure the best way to acquire that alpha at this point.

I think it's gonna have to happen through free agency or trade. Besides we already have the youngest core in the whole league, so ideally we bring in an established vet All-Star to pair with Trae. With that in mind I think making the playoffs is 100% the right move right now. I was all for "tanking" or rebuilding the last couple of years but now is the time to create some buzz and hopefully attract the attention of some disgruntled All-Stars who are looking to jump ship into a potential contender. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hawkman said:

Maybe it would be better if the Hawks snuck into the Playoffs? If they make some noise, they may draw the attention of potential future free agents.

I like the idea of this. Oh man, the amount of confidence a playoff berth would give our young (pun intended) group, it would be huge.

• Like 3