• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

The number of sheriffs who think they can ignore laws and write their own on the topic of masks is very disheartening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-sheriff-orders-deputies-not-171423458.html

Florida sheriff orders deputies not to wear masks, bans civilians in masks from office

Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods insisted there's no conclusive evidence that wearing masks curbs the spread of the virus — despite explicit Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines saying just that.

The "local health department was not consulted" by Sheriff Woods before he issued his anti-mask directive, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Health in Marion County said on Wednesday.

Asked if the state health department opposed Woods' action, the agency rep would only say: "We recommend adherence to the state surgeon general’s health advisory, and the wearing of cloth face coverings/masks when unable to practice social distancing is an important part of that."

#Florida

• Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

The number of sheriffs who think they can ignore laws and write their own on the topic of masks is very disheartening:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-sheriff-orders-deputies-not-171423458.html

#Florida

I'm still seeing this attitude with some folks online and there are two things that really bother me about it

"We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t."

This ^ is just absolutely a lie.  It's not even close to true and shouldn't be a reason used for this at all but couple it with this:

Sheriff Woods' directive carves out a handful of settings where masks would be required, such as at hospitals, nursing homes, courts, schools, jails or a COVID-19 "address alert from dispatch."

So don't wear masks because they don't work but definitely wear them in all these places because why??

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, macdaddy said:

I'm still seeing this attitude with some folks online and there are two things that really bother me about it

This ^ is just absolutely a lie.  It's not even close to true and shouldn't be a reason used for this at all but couple it with this:

So don't wear masks because they don't work but definitely wear them in all these places because why??

I think the original Sheriff's note was because of the fear people in masks would enter the police station to cause mayhem and go without positive ID because of the masks.  Again, total lock down or back off because a partial solution won't stop it, it will only stretch out the effects.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/forced-isolation-may-be-the-only-way-to-stop-resurgence-of-virus/ar-BB17VSNH?ocid=uxbndlbing

and articles like this is why you see all the push back from civil liberties advocates.  "Forced" is a gentle word for parts of society telling the rest what to do and once you grant this power there are always people who will take advantage of it.

I'm in the camp of if a study will prove it will stop this, then a 6 week full quarantine of everyone. But if you can't get full participation, cooperation then there is no point. The biggest problem with quarantine 1 is we identified far too many people as being essential workers. We are caring about all the wrong things right now because they are habitual and wrapped into systems of control.  There is zero reason we should be resuming school this semester....zero.  But if you're going to let even some back into the buildings, you are effectively prolonging this.  I hate the "wear a mask" crowd but they still insist on getting together in public for coffee, meeting up for secret hookups, traveling across town for their organic asparagus. This attitude of "this is important" but "its okay if I cheat on this aspect, its just me" has got to stop. Its all or nothing if you want this thing under control.

Edited by thecampster

• Moderators
5 hours ago, thecampster said:

Again, total lock down or back off because a partial solution won't stop it, it will only stretch out the effects.

My only pushback here is that lots of countries have been very successful with less than a total lock down.  

Italy was out of control but had some discipline and it resulted in what I would consider to be effective reduction:

image.png

Really, the European model shows this in a lot of countries:

Germany:

image.png

France:

image.png

But here, we have f***ing Corona parties, rally against mask wearing because of freedom, and claim that the science is unreliable so why bother social distancing, mask wearing, etc.  Many of our leaders refuse to wear masks, lie about the facts, suggest it will miraculously go away, etc.  In fact, some of us will punch you if you try to make us wear a mask when we visit a business that requires them or when a business tries to social distance customers because that is an affront to my freedomses!!  (Ignore the rights of the business.) 

And we get:

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I don't see anything unique about the US that makes other countries' successes impossible for us.  In fact, arguably we should have it much easier than many of those countries due to our comparatively low population density.  

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 1:31 PM, AHF said:

I don't see anything unique about the US that makes other countries' successes impossible for us.  In fact, arguably we should have it much easier than many of those countries due to our comparatively low population density.  

Honest and independent reporting??? Excessively mobile population??? A resistance to over-policing??? Overuse of shared ventilation and plumbing??? (yes this is a thing).  The US is highly unique in a number of ways, but the biggest issue IMHO - internal conflict!!!  The internal conflict of this past spring and summer has led mass spread in urban communities. From resisting government guidance to the public protests to schools/colleges and kids acting the fool. The "you can't tell me what to do" American attitude of which I might be the worst offender.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Honest and independent reporting??? Excessively mobile population??? A resistance to over-policing??? Overuse of shared ventilation and plumbing??? (yes this is a thing).  The US is highly unique in a number of ways, but the biggest issue IMHO - internal conflict!!!  The internal conflict of this past spring and summer has led mass spread in urban communities. From resisting government guidance to the public protests to schools/colleges and kids acting the fool. The "you can't tell me what to do" American attitude of which I might be the worst offender.

You've flagged some of the challenges we face but to me is less unique to the US and more a product of lacking a strong, centralized plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 8/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, thecampster said:

I think the original Sheriff's note was because of the fear people in masks would enter the police station to cause mayhem and go without positive ID because of the masks.  Again, total lock down or back off because a partial solution won't stop it, it will only stretch out the effects.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/forced-isolation-may-be-the-only-way-to-stop-resurgence-of-virus/ar-BB17VSNH?ocid=uxbndlbing

and articles like this is why you see all the push back from civil liberties advocates.  "Forced" is a gentle word for parts of society telling the rest what to do and once you grant this power there are always people who will take advantage of it.

I'm in the camp of if a study will prove it will stop this, then a 6 week full quarantine of everyone. But if you can't get full participation, cooperation then there is no point. The biggest problem with quarantine 1 is we identified far too many people as being essential workers. We are caring about all the wrong things right now because they are habitual and wrapped into systems of control.  There is zero reason we should be resuming school this semester....zero.  But if you're going to let even some back into the buildings, you are effectively prolonging this.  I hate the "wear a mask" crowd but they still insist on getting together in public for coffee, meeting up for secret hookups, traveling across town for their organic asparagus. This attitude of "this is important" but "its okay if I cheat on this aspect, its just me" has got to stop. Its all or nothing if you want this thing under control.

I'd be fine with a full 6 week quarantine but it would have to be huge spend by the feds to support it and well we know where that would go.   

Your last point i deal with everyday.   It's human nature i guess but everyone (including myself) thinks that their approach is safe and it's all over the map.  And it's not tied to politics either.  I know plenty of anti trump folks who are getting out there in ways i don't think they should.   I think schools is going to be the big reckoning.  Without serious distancing and protection measures schools won't work. 

And to me (i'll be guilty again of being an armchair scientist) we have to accept that indoor space is problem.   Outdoor crowds are a risk but it's so much lower than being in a crowded indoor space.   We need to start trying to adapt to that reality in real way.   We could have outdoor classrooms, we could have partial days, we could do some things with schools that isn't all or nothing.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'd be fine with a full 6 week quarantine but it would have to be huge spend by the feds to support it and well we know where that would go.   

Your last point i deal with everyday.   It's human nature i guess but everyone (including myself) thinks that their approach is safe and it's all over the map.  And it's not tied to politics either.  I know plenty of anti trump folks who are getting out there in ways i don't think they should.   I think schools is going to be the big reckoning.  Without serious distancing and protection measures schools won't work. 

And to me (i'll be guilty again of being an armchair scientist) we have to accept that indoor space is problem.   Outdoor crowds are a risk but it's so much lower than being in a crowded indoor space.   We need to start trying to adapt to that reality in real way.   We could have outdoor classrooms, we could have partial days, we could do some things with schools that isn't all or nothing.   

See, this is compromise, which I'm all about.  This whole "my way or the highway" approach by all of those politicizing this is crushingly dangerous. Get serious people in a room who are willing to give a tit for tat in order to come up with a solution.  Most of the things I said about this from the beginning were spot on but none of that matters because I missed on the most important aspect. I truly believed people would cooperate and compromise for the greater good. I was dead wrong.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I truly believed people would cooperate and compromise for the greater good. I was dead wrong.

People are craving real leadership and I'm talking all the way around not just taking a shot at the president.   I don't know if we will get it anytime soon but give people something real to believe in and they will follow en masse.  I'm hoping we are seeing a bottoming out in terms of division.   But i may just be fooling myself.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

See, this is compromise, which I'm all about.  This whole "my way or the highway" approach by all of those politicizing this is crushingly dangerous. Get serious people in a room who are willing to give a tit for tat in order to come up with a solution.  Most of the things I said about this from the beginning were spot on but none of that matters because I missed on the most important aspect. I truly believed people would cooperate and compromise for the greater good. I was dead wrong.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

People are craving real leadership and I'm talking all the way around not just taking a shot at the president.   I don't know if we will get it anytime soon but give people something real to believe in and they will follow en masse.  I'm hoping we are seeing a bottoming out in terms of division.   But i may just be fooling myself.

Tone from the top.  When you have people publicly speading misinformation and attacking each other and working at cross purposes even among the highest members of the coronavirus task force and administration, it is hard for that not to permeate the common culture.  This started on day 1 of the crisis and continues through the present.  And it isn't just cracks in the armor, it is a concerted attack consisting of opposition research, attacks in the press, attacks on social media, etc.  And this is among a group of people everyone of whom was appointed by the President.

You need a steady hand on the wheel, a centralized and coordinated plan, and at least a unified public face on the big issues.  We have the opposite of that.

• Thanks 1