• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

On 7/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, Wretch said:

Thanks dude. 

Like I said, I don't really have an opinion on the masks.  I don't know how much it helps...but I do I think we should take care of each other and be mindful of how easily it spreads.  I think masking up is a good thing, but at the same time...the politics is so draining.

People just don't care about each other's health and that sucks.

So true. I had an suv for sale, and told the guy who wanted to look at it to brink a mask if he wanted to test drive, and he text me a few min later, "Im not wearing no f'n mask, I'll look elsewhere"... smdh..Like I give a .... I'm not some desperate car salesman. lol.. My dad is a diabetic and a cancer survivor. No way Im taking any chances...IDIOT!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, terrell said:

So true. I had an suv for sale, and told the guy who wanted to look at it to brink a mask if he wanted to test drive, and he text me a few min later, "Im not wearing no f'n mask, I'll look elsewhere"... smdh..Like I give a .... I'm not some desperate car salesman. lol.. My dad is a diabetic and a cancer survivor. No way Im taking any chances...IDIOT!!!!! 

Good man.  Some people are so wrapped up in their political identity that they ignore the mainstream science and focus on the misinformation out there to arrive at an emotional view that it is all a bunch of hooey while others know the score but just don't care about the health of their fellow Americans.  In neither case do you need to do anything that would expose your dad to that person and the risks they bring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suggest a full read of the following article. It makes many of the same claims I made about mask wearing affecting people's behaviors. Not saying pro or con, just saying it worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583925/The-land-no-face-masks-Hollands-scientists-say-theres-no-solid-evidence-coverings-work.html

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I suggest a full read of the following article. It makes many of the same claims I made about mask wearing affecting people's behaviors. Not saying pro or con, just saying it worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583925/The-land-no-face-masks-Hollands-scientists-say-theres-no-solid-evidence-coverings-work.html

Remarkable lack of data from that article.  Not a single study cited.  Given that the source is the Daily Mail, however, this is not particularly out of character.   Lots of strange assumptions like the bit about how outbreaks following family gatherings couldn't have been prevented by wearing masks since people wouldn't wear them at family functions.  Bit of boot strapping there and they must not be aware that lots of families are taking deliberate steps to social distance and wear masks when they can't.  

There is a good discussion to have around how to get people to properly wear and use masks but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be learning from this one.  Certainly saw nothing in there indicating that requiring mask usage in public buildings leads to less safety.

Example of hard hitting Daily Mail scientific reporting:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2159692/Womans-mouth-falls-pregnant-squid-biting-sea-creature-scientists-claim.html

image.png

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Remarkable lack of data from that article.  Not a single study cited.  Given that the source is the Daily Mail, however, this is not particularly out of character.   Lots of strange assumptions like the bit about how outbreaks following family gatherings couldn't have been prevented by wearing masks since people wouldn't wear them at family functions.  Bit of boot strapping there and they must not be aware that lots of families are taking deliberate steps to social distance and wear masks when they can't.  

There is a good discussion to have around how to get people to properly wear and use masks but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be learning from this one.  Certainly saw nothing in there indicating that requiring mask usage in public buildings leads to less safety.

Example of hard hitting Daily Mail scientific reporting:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2159692/Womans-mouth-falls-pregnant-squid-biting-sea-creature-scientists-claim.html

image.png

So person wears mask, its fairly self evident that if nothing changes its safer.  But what the Dutch are pointing out is that the very act of putting on a mask changes peoples' behaviors from more important precautions...like hand washing, keeping your distance and not engaging in risky behaviors.  

Its the condom and pill argument. People put on a condom and say, sex is safe now and then engage in other risky behaviors they might not. Or girls taking the pill and having unprotected sex forgetting that there are other dangers from unprotected sex with strangers. I think the takeaway here is how these situations are never just cut and dry. Every behavior changes perceptions and other behaviors. I found it interesting in how it exposes the human condition. 

Mask wearing is only a very small part of the equation and should not change your other behaviors because of a false sense of confidence.  The part about what's going on in the Netherlands is true though.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, thecampster said:

So person wears mask, its fairly self evident that if nothing changes its safer.  But what the Dutch are pointing out is that the very act of putting on a mask changes peoples' behaviors from more important precautions...like hand washing, keeping your distance and not engaging in risky behaviors.  

Its the condom and pill argument. People put on a condom and say, sex is safe now and then engage in other risky behaviors they might not. Or girls taking the pill and having unprotected sex forgetting that there are other dangers from unprotected sex with strangers. I think the takeaway here is how these situations are never just cut and dry. Every behavior changes perceptions and other behaviors. I found it interesting in how it exposes the human condition. 

Mask wearing is only a very small part of the equation and should not change your other behaviors because of a false sense of confidence.  The part about what's going on in the Netherlands is true though.

Show me the data that people who wear masks wash their hands less, etc.  I'm not opposed to the notion but there wasn't a single piece of data in there and the numbers from countries that wear masks look pretty darn good compared to where we sit with our mask insurgency.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, High5 said:

That's such a ridiculous argument. It's like saying people shouldn't wear seatbelts or else they'll start driving like they're in a Fast and Furious movie. 

It also might be used to argue against any mitigating behavior.  If people disinfect surfaces or wash their hands, etc. maybe they are more lax about wearing masks or social distancing, etc. and therefore people shouldn't wash their hands or we shouldn't take steps to purify the air or surfaces, etc. 

We've got no data on any of these things but the psychological argument is the same.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Show me the data that people who wear masks wash their hands less, etc.  I'm not opposed to the notion but there wasn't a single piece of data in there and the numbers from countries that wear masks look pretty darn good compared to where we sit with our mask insurgency.

Oh for Pete's sake man. I'm not getting baited by you on this. Its not worth arguing over.  Was just an interesting article on the Dutch and I shared it. Why does everything have to be a gotcha game of who is smarter?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Oh for Pete's sake man. I'm not getting baited by you on this. Its not worth arguing over.  Was just an interesting article on the Dutch and I shared it. Why does everything have to be a gotcha game of who is smarter?

The article is advocating people not take efforts that objectively make others safer.  The n an article is from a very suspect source and it compounds this issue when it shares zero data to back up its claim.  

People have died in this country because other didn't take reasonable steps to mitigate the spread of this illness.

It isn't intended to be an attack on you at all.  I know you well enough from this site that you don't post things in bad faith trying to push misinformation or bad sources.  I also know that you are scrupulous on ensuring social distancing which is a huge step toward protecting yourself and your family as well as others in the community.

I apologize if I come off emotional on this but it does make me emotional.  I nearly lost a family member last week so this hits home.  I know if I shrugged my shoulders and decided not to wear a mask or social distance or wash my hands, etc. so that it ended up being my failure to follow this type of basic step that killed someone else I'm not sure I could live with myself. 

And this has absolutely happened to people.  And it doesn't need to happen nearly so often if people take basic steps to protect their fellow Americans. 

• Moderators

Here's an article on masks that is pretty compelling.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/face-masks-really-do-matter-the-scientific-evidence-is-growing-11595083298

But the point of the article about the Dutch to me is that distancing is extremely important.   I think the ridiculous hub bub about masks has overshadowed the fact that as a country we also suck at distancing.  

This country has come together to overcome tougher obstacles.  This pandemic sucks but we can do this.   Hopefully we will turn a corner collectively soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

On the School reopening front:

An Indiana school reopened for students. There was a positive COVID-19 test on day one.

INDIANAPOLIS – A junior high school in Greenfield, Indiana, received news on the first day of class that a student tested positive for the coronavirus, according to an email sent to families Thursday evening. 

Parents weigh in

At the end of the school day Friday, the families of the middle school students waited in their cars to pick students up.

Some expressed frustration with the family of the student who tested positive for COVID-19, saying it was irresponsible for the student to go to school without waiting for results of the test.

“I think it’s kind of selfish of the parents of the student," said Samantha Kiefer, whose daughter is in eighth grade at the school, "sending their kids to school or kid to school knowing that they may or may not have it."

So they are waiting on the test and still sent the child to school? The idiocy and thoughtlessness of some people. Just WOW.

Locally here in GA:

More than 200 employees have been barred from work in Georgia’s largest school district.

And around the country:

A high school in Indiana had to shift to online learning after just two days. And students in Mississippi were forced to quarantine after classmates tested positive for the coronavirus during the first week of classes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/school-closing-coronavirus.amp.html

• Moderators

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So they are waiting on the test and still sent the child to school? The idiocy and thoughtlessness of some people. Just WOW.

Maybe they should run for Congress.  That is exactly what Rand Paul did and he still continues to run his mouth like he is an expert on the coronavirus.  He went to work, went to the gym, went to group lunches, etc. all while his results were waiting.

People can be so selfish and stupid.  It is really disheartening.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Enough WHITE! Not talking about you just love Derrick White’s message of:

ENOUGH

White

Man.  Mods can we do something about this guy?   I shouldn't have to put up with this i'm a white male.....basically.

(this is a joke btw)