• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Thanks for this.  The idea that older children don't transmit the virus to adults easily isn't backed up by any comprehensive study that i've seen.   

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_5.html

If you look at the data starting in July the 18-49 year old age group became the single largest group requiring hospitalization and 18-65 more than doubles hospitalizations of 65+.    Hospitalizations of kids is still very small but since almost all staff and parents will be in that 18-65 (if not -49) age group the risk to them is high. 

The median age of cases has dropped dramatically.

As far as we have to go back sometime.  There's a chance of a vaccine but there's also the chance of improved treatments.  We've already seen that.   But there is the possiblity to reduce cases and risk of school in the way other countries have done.  Given that a large part of the population seems bent on not doing anything leaders recommend that maybe far fetched here but you never know.   

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

The Trump administration is seeking to phase out funding for coronavirus testing and contact tracing, as well as funds for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes of Health in a forthcoming GOP coronavirus relief package, according to two sources familiar with ongoing negotiations between the White House and Senate Republicans.

The Washington Post first reported these negotiations, which according to two officials are not going over well with Republicans.

Senate Republicans are proposing some $25 billion in grants to states for testing and contact tracing, as well as about $10 billion for the CDC and $15 billion for the NIH, the sources said.

A senior White House official told ABC News, "the President is fully committed to a robust aid package that addresses real needs" and said "there have really been no negotiations to date."

The official did not directly dispute that the administration is seeking to zero out funding for contact tracing and testing, arguing that health experts even say it will never work, but said it's early in the negotiating process and talks will start in earnest Monday.

"There have really been no negotiations to date. There have been a couple of conversations about current funding needs and reserves from the previous legislative packages," the official said. "The President is fully committed to a robust aid package that addresses real needs. There remains 14.7 billion dollars in NIH and CDC from the previous cares act allocations and discussions will start in earnest on Monday."

This news comes days after public health officials and lawmakers sounded alarms over a new program that directs hospitals to report COVID-19 data directly to the Department of Health and Human Services instead of to the CDC.

While the White House says the new requirement, which started Wednesday, will help make coronavirus data collection from hospitals more centralized and efficient, some fear HHS control and using a system run by a private contractor instead of existing CDC data collection channels could politicize findings and cut experts out of the loop.

The White House on Friday also blocked CDC Director Robert Redfield from testifying before Congress next week on how to reopen schools safely.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

On behalf of my family in Georgia, I'm outraged by this kind of game playing:

https://amberschmidtkephd.substack.com/p/the-sunday-week-in-review-19jul2020

You guys are probably all aware of this but here is Georgia's heat map hiding the increased numbers by changing the definitions of the different colors:

image.png

image.png

Here are the actual % increases over that 14 day period and you won't see this reflected on Kemp's approved maps since they seem to just change the definitions to ensure a stable picture:

image.png

That link above has all kinds of good data for Georgia.

Example:

image.png

• Sad 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Question. Are viruses life forms? Yea or nay?

I know this is a highly debated area, but I tend to view it as a "no" since they are inactive until they get exposed to a cell and can't self-replicate.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

That's great.  Hopefully it stays that way.  If they successfully create a bubble it could be pretty informative.

There will be conspiracy theorists claiming the NBA is lying about test results, or using tests designed to give a negative result, or some other such unfounded claim.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

There will be conspiracy theorists claiming the NBA is lying about test results, or using tests designed to give a negative result, or some other such unfounded claim.

:laugh:...you know it's coming.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I love the part where, after 3 tested positive, they decided to have a team meeting to discuss continuing to play.  They're now up to 14 positives.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say this "meeting" wasn't conducted in-person.  If it was .... I mean, really?

If your go-to move is to cancel games when folks test positive, you shouldn't have re-started in the first place.  It just highlights the fact that you have no plan.

NBA has a chance.  the rest of them look really iffy.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I love the part where, after 3 tested positive, they decided to have a team meeting to discuss continuing to play.  They're now up to 14 positives.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say this "meeting" wasn't conducted in-person.  If it was .... I mean, really?

If your go-to move is to cancel games when folks test positive, you shouldn't have re-started in the first place.  It just highlights the fact that you have no plan.

I suspect it was the sheer number of people that made them hit pause.  If it had been just a player or two, they would have just quarantined those people.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I suspect it was the sheer number of people that made them hit pause.  If it had been just a player or two, they would have just quarantined those people.

I suspect it was because the Marlins played despite being in the midst of an obvious breakout.  I also suspect it was because mlb realized they had no mechanism in place to govern what the team has to do under those circumstances.  And they realize they have no control to tell them what to do anyway.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I suspect it was because the Marlins played despite being in the midst of an obvious breakout.  I also suspect it was because mlb realized they had no mechanism in place to govern what the team has to do under those circumstances.  And they realize they have no control to tell them what to do anyway.

Ur BIL wear a mask 😷? 🤔 

• Premium Member

My wife's a NP and she brought Covid-19 home to the whole family...and man, it sucks.  I can attest to what Aron Baynes said in the tweet @JayBirdHawk shared.  It put my on my ass for 10 days.  I was in bed for about 7 days...just staring at the walls - no energy and a fever routinely spiking above 103.  I didn't lose my sense of taste, but things tasted weird.  Tap water tasted AWFUL and anything sweet tasted 100x sweeter.  My chest felt tight and I was coughing up blood or something (we didn't get it cultured).  Oh, and I caught like...pre-pneumonia or something to that effect in one lung. 😬

My wife had flu-like symptoms for about 4 days and lost her sense of taste.  My daughter had flu-like symptoms for 2 days (which really pissed me off, lol).  My twin boys had no symptoms and my youngest had a fever and runny nose for about 3 days.  No hospitalization for me, but my wife did rush me to the ER in the middle of the night.  She was scared because my breathing was irregular and my O2 sat (oxygen) was low (85-92ish).

Not going to get into the politics of all this, but there's a lot of misrepresentation in the media regarding the virus and what it's actually doing. What's really bothering me is that there's a lot of good information being suppressed.  This is a crazy time to be alive as the world is changing right in front of us.

Has any other Squawkers besides me caught it? 

Edited by Wretch
  • Sad 5