• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Wretch said:

My wife's a NP and she brought Covid-19 home to the whole family...and man, it sucks.  I can attest to what Aron Baynes said in the tweet @JayBirdHawk shared.  It put my on my ass for 10 days.  I was in bed for about 7 days...just staring at the walls - no energy and a fever routinely spiking above 103.  I didn't lose my sense of taste, but things tasted weird.  Tap water tasted AWFUL and anything sweet tasted 100x sweeter.  My chest felt tight and I was coughing up blood or something (we didn't get it cultured).  Oh, and I caught like...pre-pneumonia or something to that effect in one lung. 😬

My wife had flu-like symptoms for about 4 days and lost her sense of taste.  My daughter had flu-like symptoms for 2 days (which really pissed me off, lol).  My twin boys had no symptoms and my youngest had a fever and runny nose for about 3 days.  No hospitalization for me, but my wife did rush me to the ER in the middle of the night.  She was scared because my breathing was irregular and my O2 sat (oxygen) was low (85-92ish).

Not going to get into the politics of all this, but there's a lot of misrepresentation in the media regarding the virus and what it's actually doing. What's really bothering me is that there's a lot of good information being suppressed.  This is a crazy time to be alive as the world is changing right in front of us.

Has any other Squawkers besides me caught it? 

Wow.  that's scary as hell.  I'm glad you and the family are recovering.   Any advice for people who get it?  any medicines you took that helped or didn't?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Wretch said:

My wife's a NP and she brought Covid-19 home to the whole family...and man, it sucks.  I can attest to what Aron Baynes said in the tweet @JayBirdHawk shared.  It put my on my ass for 10 days.  I was in bed for about 7 days...just staring at the walls - no energy and a fever routinely spiking above 103.  I didn't lose my sense of taste, but things tasted weird.  Tap water tasted AWFUL and anything sweet tasted 100x sweeter.  My chest felt tight and I was coughing up blood or something (we didn't get it cultured).  Oh, and I caught like...pre-pneumonia or something to that effect in one lung. 😬

My wife had flu-like symptoms for about 4 days and lost her sense of taste.  My daughter had flu-like symptoms for 2 days (which really pissed me off, lol).  My twin boys had no symptoms and my youngest had a fever and runny nose for about 3 days.  No hospitalization for me, but my wife did rush me to the ER in the middle of the night.  She was scared because my breathing was irregular and my O2 sat (oxygen) was low (85-92ish).

Not going to get into the politics of all this, but there's a lot of misrepresentation in the media regarding the virus and what it's actually doing. What's really bothering me is that there's a lot of good information being suppressed.  This is a crazy time to be alive as the world is changing right in front of us.

Maybe you should share that story with Lou Williams after he went to a strip club for wing while on an excused absence from the bubble to attend a funeral

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Also, the symptoms and their severity are ALL over the place...  Some people have none, some people are on their death beds, and some are like me...suffering from breathing problems, fever, and loss of appetite for 2 weeks.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

- I don't really have an opinion on masks - it helps slow the spread, but it won't stop you from getting it.  My wife wears basically a hazmat suit and she caught it.

Really glad to hear you guys recovered ok Wretch!

I will note that the latest research strongly supports the notion that wearing a mask reduces the chances of you getting it and reduces the severity of the symptoms.  If you are around people who are positive, there may be no 100% failsafe but anything that reduces the chances of spreading and reduces the symptoms is a very good thing.  Masks reduce the odds you will spread to others and protect you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/health/coronavirus-mask-protection.html

But now, as cases continue to rise across the country, experts are pointing to an array of evidence suggesting that masks also protect the people wearing them, lessening the severity of symptoms, or in some instances, staving off infection entirely.

Different kinds of masks “block virus to a different degree, but they all block the virus from getting in,” said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Francisco. If any virus particles do breach these barriers, she said, the disease might still be milder.

Dr. Gandhi and her colleagues make this argument in a new paper slated to be published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine. Drawing from animal experiments and observations of various events during the pandemic, they contend that people wearing face coverings will take in fewer coronavirus particles, making it easier for their immune systems to bring any interlopers to heel.

Dr. Tsion Firew, an emergency physician at Columbia University who wasn’t involved in the work, cautioned that the links between masking and milder disease haven’t yet been proved as cause and effect. Even so, the new paper “reiterates what we say about masks,” she said. “It’s not just a selfless act.”

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Thanks @Wretch.  This is great info that hopefully most of us won't need.   Early on they were putting patients on their stomachs.  Just curious if you did that.  I hope there are no lasting effects.   Thank god for people like your wife willing to do the work.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Really glad to hear you guys recovered ok Wretch!

I will note that the latest research strongly supports the notion that wearing a mask reduces the chances of you getting it and reduces the severity of the symptoms.  If you are around people who are positive, there may be no 100% failsafe but anything that reduces the chances of spreading and reduces the symptoms is a very good thing.  Masks reduce the odds you will spread to others and protect you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/health/coronavirus-mask-protection.html

Thanks dude. 

Like I said, I don't really have an opinion on the masks.  I don't know how much it helps...but I do I think we should take care of each other and be mindful of how easily it spreads.  I think masking up is a good thing, but at the same time...the politics is so draining.

People just don't care about each other's health and that sucks.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Thanks dude. 

Like I said, I don't really have an opinion on the masks.  I don't know how much it helps...but I do I think we should take care of each other and be mindful of how easily it spreads.  I think masking up is a good thing, but at the same time...the politics is so draining.

People just don't care about each other's health and that sucks.

This, so much of this!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

If you catch it, get immune boosting supplements (airborne, elderberry, vitamin C, etc).  I was on a rotation of these.  For most people, I think the airborne supplement is overkill.
- If you've seen that Caribbean guy with the dreads doing the "corona-virus cure" videos...steaming citrus peels and sea salt, lol.  I did that for breathing treatments.....  Well, I steamed orange and lemon peels with sea salt and ginger root and inhaled the vapors.  I was breathing much better after about 10 minutes - after 30 minutes, my oxygen was above 94.  There's a lot of research on the medicinal value of ginger root.  I drank it as hot tea and steamed it with the sea salt citrus boil.  I'm not a doctor and neither is my wife, but it helped me and she said it can't hurt.  Again, do your own research.

Lol....I can attest to the lemon/citrus peel with seawater boil breathing concoction. Got that as a kid growing up in the Caribbean, i hated it then, trying to get from under the towel while mom yelled...don't move, not yet.  My grandfather always kept a bottle of seawater from the ocean handy.

I'm a big believer in ginger tea (sometimes with a squeeze of fresh lemon and/or a dollop of honey)- the fresh ginger root doesn't last long,  so i peel it, grate it and place in a ziploc bag in freezer. Then I can grab some as needed for tea. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lol....I can attest to the lemon/citrus peel with seawater boil breathing concoction. Got that as a kid growing up in the Caribbean, i hated it then, trying to get from under the towel while mom yelled...don't move, not yet.  My grandfather always kept a bottle of seawater from the ocean handy.

I'm a big believer in ginger tea (sometimes with a squeeze of fresh lemon and/or a dollop of honey)- the fresh ginger root doesn't last long,  so i peel it, grate it and place in a ziploc bag in freezer. Then I can grab some as needed for tea. 

Yeah, I'll never forget that night.  It was really bad...probably my worst night.  I couldn't use my inhaler and my chest was in pain.  I did that sea salt citrus boil for like 10 minutes and my airways just *poof* opened up.  I boiled the stuff and put it in a thermal cup so I didn't have to stand over the stove. lol

I think this is also a big danger with the virus...  People get it and think it's just the flu...and it is most certainly not.  It beat me up bad.  My wife says that if I hadn't been doing the supplements and breathing treatments, it would have gotten out of hand.  She thinks I would have been hospitalized.  My niece (female in her 30's) caught it and had pneumonia in both lungs.  We think that's what happened to her...like, she just let it go on without getting checked.

If you have the symptoms, don't fool around ya'll.  Get checked out, start treatment, and quarantine yourself to keep others from getting it.

Also, lose weight! I'm a big dude and the weight makes it especially hard to breathe...especially when you eat and your stomach fills up and puts pressure on your lungs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Wretch said:

A friend of mine caught it. Him and his wife but they are over it now luckily. They had the same symptoms of fever and loss of appetite like you mentioned. Craziness in the world for real. 

• Moderators

Looks like nationally, we are seeing an unfortunate trend on number of daily deaths as you might expect a few weeks after seeing the upward trend of new cases.

image.png

Stay safe, Squawkers.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 12:43 PM, Wretch said:

I had almost the same experience when I went down late March through early April.  No blood in my sputum but I had to have the docs additionally prescribe an anti-nausea med because the TWO antibiotics for my pneumonia were nuking my stomach causing the coughing fits to quickly turn into dry heaves. 

• Like 1