• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

Okay, found a very good and somewhat positive read that explains a great deal about why this virus is affecting some but not all.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/reasons-for-covid-19-optimism-on-t-cells-and-herd-immunity.html

Short answer - T-Cells (calling @KB21 for his pro opinion) remember how they responded to other Coronavirus family viruses and it gives them an advantage in attacking a new type. So people whose bodies have experience fighting similar viruses (like the common cold) have short cuts in response.

I'm wondering if this will help in crafting a long term response/policy.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, thecampster said:

Okay, found a very good and somewhat positive read that explains a great deal about why this virus is affecting some but not all.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/reasons-for-covid-19-optimism-on-t-cells-and-herd-immunity.html

Short answer - T-Cells (calling @KB21 for his pro opinion) remember how they responded to other Coronavirus family viruses and it gives them an advantage in attacking a new type. So people whose bodies have experience fighting similar viruses (like the common cold) have short cuts in response.

I'm wondering if this will help in crafting a long term response/policy.

Makes sense.  Likely the reason why kids are not getting severe symptoms or even getting the virus as often.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

NBA bubble has been a rousing success. A lot of naysayers on the squawk better get some salt for that crow. 

What do you mean? You were the one complaining about the NBA having special testing capacity that "normal" people would not.  The rest were saying that it was up to the player to decide if they wanted to play.  Not for us to  be upset about if they decided not to play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

What do you mean? You were the one complaining about the NBA having special testing capacity that "normal" people would not.  The rest were saying that it was up to the player to decide if they wanted to play.  Not for us to  be upset about if they decided not to play.

I don't think sports needs protocols that go above and beyond every other industry. I still feel that way. But I strongly supported the return of the NBA, and said the product would be compelling. Many here said it would be bad basketball and/or that positive Covid tests would inevitably shut it down.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I don't think sports needs protocols that go above and beyond every other industry. I still feel that way. But I strongly supported the return of the NBA, and said the product would be compelling. Many here said it would be bad basketball and/or that positive Covid tests would inevitably shut it down.

I think it is obvious that it is not a continuation of the season which is what I said.  It is a separate event since all the continuity of the season was broken.  Phoenix, TJ Warren, etc. are performing nothing like in a real season in games with stakes.

Doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.  The NCAA tournament is super entertaining but it isn't an extension of or proxy for the NBA season anymore than the bubble has been.  

I'm very interested to see whether we see something more normalized during the playoffs or if this is a one-off side event for the NBA.  Definitely welcome entertainment but I would almost prefer at this point if they just posted standings for the bubble alone and ran a bubble tournament instead of appending the regular season to the point of its break to the bubble games and pretending like that is all continuous.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So the league is now allowing family and friends to enter the bubble, but still no room for us, unbelievable.

That was always in the initial plan, after the 1st round of the playoffs I think it was. Max 3 family members per player.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So the league is now allowing family and friends to enter the bubble, but still no room for us, unbelievable.

If you're so happy about the way things are going, why are you upset that no fans are allowed? Fans won't stay in the bubble and increase the risk of COVID breaking out there.  If there's an outbreak, the NBA will probably shut it down.   Did you go to games before?  I did go to a few games, but to be honest my viewing experience was always better on TV.  The pumped in crowd noise makes the viewing experience just fine for me.

These games have been pretty good quality too. 

Edited by marco102

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If you're so happy about the way things are going, why are you upset that no fans are allowed? Fans won't stay in the bubble and increase the risk of COVID breaking out there.  If there's an outbreak, the NBA will probably shut it down.   Did you go to games before?  I did go to a few games, but to be honest my viewing experience was always better on TV.  The pumped in crowd noise makes the viewing experience just fine for me.

These games have been pretty good quality too. 

I'm not upset about no fans. I'm upset about no Hawks. Especially when you got teams like the Wizards who didn't give a crap allowed entrance in the bubble. The league did all these  gymnastics to get Zion in the bubble and he barely played. We could have been the Easter Conference version of the Suns. I feel like we were ready to gel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm not upset about no fans. I'm upset about no Hawks. Especially when you got teams like the Wizards who didn't give a crap allowed entrance in the bubble. The league did all these  gymnastics to get Zion in the bubble and he barely played. We could have been the Easter Conference version of the Suns. I feel like we were ready to gel.

My bad. misinterpreted "us".

• Like 1

• Premium Member

40 family members test positive for coronavirus after West Virginia funeral

Polly Williams, of Kermit, West Virginia, said the virus has spread rapidly through her family because a COVID-19-stricken relative flew from Arizona for the services without disclosing the extent of her illness, the Daily Mail reported.

“She never said one word about fearing her illness was something serious,” Williams went on, adding, “Her condition worsened over the next couple of days and she supposedly had to seek medical attention but still never told us anything.”

The family learned only on the morning of Brige’s wake that the relative’s husband and son, who both stayed back in Arizona, had tested positive for the coronavirus several days earlier.

“By the day of the wake, a young child in our family that had been in the home where my relative was staying, was the first among us to be positive. And so it began,” Williams said.

Illnesses have varied among Williams’ family, with some falling severely ill and others experiencing mild cases. A two-year-old girl in the family had to be rushed to the hospital last week after catching the virus and suffering a high fever.“She’s just two years old,” Brewer said. “She doesn’t understand why she’s sick. And with so many in our family ill, we don’t even know who will be able to take care of her.”Williams told the Citizen she’s infuriated that her relative fly into town while sick, risking the lives of fellow travelers and family members.

“I understand that my relative lost a close family member. I get that. My heart breaks for her,” Williams said. “But to get on a plane while you’re ill and travel to another state, knowing full well you could infect everyone you are around is, in my opinion, selfish and unforgivable. The very least she could have done was to wear masks and gloves and warn all of us to stay away, that she was ill.”

This is INSANITY!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/11/40-family-members-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-funeral/amp/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1