Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
On 8/6/2020 at 3:50 PM, AHF said:

Like the school in Georgia that said it couldn't enforce social distancing and mask wearing in the school but was going to monitor kids' social media and suspend people who posted things critical of the school.  Seems to me that if you've got the energy to enforce bans on social media that you can enforce mandates on social distancing and mask wearing at least as easily and only one of those subjects is important to public health.

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. — Just days after a photo of crowded hallways at North Paulding High School went viral, parents were informed Saturday of nine confirmed cases of the coronavirus at the school.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. — Just days after a photo of crowded hallways at North Paulding High School went viral, parents were informed Saturday of nine confirmed cases of the coronavirus at the school.

I don't know about their exact testing protocols, but if everyone at the school was tested, that is actually a really low number. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't know about their exact testing protocols, but if everyone at the school was tested, that is actually a really low number. 

Article doesn't say if school wide testing was done.

Channel 2′s Mike Petchenik learned that according to an open records request verified by Rep. Beth Moore, Paulding County Schools have reported a total of 53 cases of coronavirus within the district since July 1. Twenty-three of those were among students who attend North Paulding High School. Students did not return back to school until Aug. 3.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsbtv.com/news/local/paulding-county/days-after-photos-packed-hallways-go-viral-paulding-school-reports-9-covid-19-cases/X3FEDBYQ3FEA3F3TX5MMQD6E3Y/%3foutputType=amp

Edited:

@bleachkit from the AJC;

“At this time, we know there were six students and three staff members who were in school for at least some time last week who have since reported to us that they have tested positive,” says a letter from North Paulding High School Principal Gabe Carmona to parents Saturday. A spokesman for the Paulding County School District gave a copy of the letter to the AJC.

This sounds more like someone feeling sick snd going to get tested and reporting it to the school and not from any school wide testing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Friend of mine had a grandson that tested positive.   Took grandkid to another doctor and tested negative.  

Nobody has a clue.  You cant shut the schools down because of a positive test.  Positive test doesn't mean something bad is happening.  Local schools end up shutting down a week in the winter for past years because of the flu.  If that covid is as bad as some say you cannot shut everything down because its probably not going away.  Gotta stop the panic and move on with reality.  

14 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Friend of mine had a grandson that tested positive.   Took grandkid to another doctor and tested negative.  

Nobody has a clue.  You cant shut the schools down because of a positive test.  Positive test doesn't mean something bad is happening.  Local schools end up shutting down a week in the winter for past years because of the flu.  If that covid is as bad as some say you cannot shut everything down because its probably not going away.  Gotta stop the panic and move on with reality.  

Yeah I won't be sending my kids to school to test somebody's theory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This would be huge.  Test is a mess in this country.  I found this interesting in this Bill Gates interview.  I'm not aware of any tests like he describes available in GA.

You helped fund a Covid diagnostic testing program in Seattle that got quicker results, and it wasn’t so intrusive. The FDA put it on pause. What happened?

There’s this thing where the health worker jams the deep turbinate, in the back of your nose, which actually hurts and makes you sneeze on the healthy worker. We showed that the quality of the results can be equivalent if you just put a self-test in the tip of your nose with a cotton swab. The FDA made us jump through some hoops to prove that you didn’t need to refrigerate the result, that it could go back in a dry plastic bag, and so on. So the delay there was just normal double checking, maybe overly careful but not based on some political angle. Because of what we have done at FDA, you can buy these cheaper swabs that are available by the billions. So anybody who’s using the deep turbinate now is just out of date. It’s a mistake, because it slows things down.

https://www.wired.com/story/bill-gates-on-covid-most-us-tests-are-completely-garbage/#intcid=recommendations_wired-homepage-right-rail_a4288491-f4fe-4c68-958c-ed576f7b82a8_popular4-1

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Wow.  And that's not the only study i've seen that has said that bandanas aren't good as a mask.   It's a shame the information is so scattered.   People need to see these things.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

Can we move this topic to a different forum? I hate knowing every time I try to escape the news, I end up finding it every where. It's hard to even watch sports. 

There is important information in this thread as noted with the above study on mask types so I would just skip this thread if you aren't interested.  The only other discussion on this board that relates is the scheduling piece.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Wow.  And that's not the only study i've seen that has said that bandanas aren't good as a mask.   It's a shame the information is so scattered.   People need to see these things.

My bigger concern is still the residual residue and people not cleaning, rotating masks.  Reusing without maintenance.