• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wikileaks informant sturt reveals Schlenk's Projected Oct 2020 Salary Cap Spreadsheet

sturt

• Premium Member
On 4/6/2020 at 11:47 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Gordon Hayward as a FA Target for the Hawks!

Star-studded?? That's a very liberal use of that word.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hardwoodhoudini.com/2020/04/04/boston-celtics-3-free-agent-hayward/amp/4/

I think I would be on board with Heyward.  He is a upper tier player imo.  

• Premium Member

Almost certainly not going to obtain Heyward via free agency.

But, that's not to say it's a foregone conclusion that BOS wouldn't trade him. In fact, there were rumors of that just before the deadline, and there continues to be some talk among C's bloggers that, though there seems to be a general preference to keep him, it would make some sense financially, and certainly so if there was some adequate return in the form of a legit center.

Why might Schlenk be interested? Heyward will be 30 at the start of the next season, and though he's begun to return to some semblance of his pre-major-injury self, it wouldn't seem likely he will re-establish himself as an ASG participant for the first time since the only time he did (2017). Plus, he's had some nagging smaller injuries that have kept him benched on occasion. On the plus side, he's a plus-asset at both ends of the floor when he's been on the floor, and he would be a legitimate veteran starter for the one year ATL would be guaranteed to have him. They would, then, have his Bird rights as well if they wanted to re-invest in him in 2021, though it's questionable how valuable the Bird rights would actually turn out to be since it's highly doubtful Schlenk would put a contract offer on the table for anything close to the max money or years anyhow.

Bottom line? Wouldn't rule it out, but Ainge would probably want more than Schlenk would be willing to give up.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, sturt said:

2020-04-10_2059.png

You had the same attitude with Chris Kirschner of The Athletic because he poopooed your guy around the draft. (Bol Bol I think it was)

I'm sure if he listed Brandom Ingram as a FA target you'd be on onboard.:cute:

(FTR - I do agree on his last 2 topic titles, needing shooting and backup PF, just not his selections of the players, well except Joe Harris).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You had the same attitude with Chris Kirschner of The Athletic

Yes.

Why is that?

Well, one theory would be to say...

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

because he poopooed your guy around the draft. (Bol Bol I think it was)

And it is true he did, and it is true that Bol was one of 5 players on my radar at the time.

And if you would judge me by that shallow of a standard, then, same shoe on your foot, would be to say you loved Kirschner because his assertions about Bol (or whoever) mirrored your own.

Do I think you form opinions about writers based on what they say about player A, B or C?

I don't. I don't think you're that shallow... yes, even though, as far as I recall, his assertions about Bol and others mirrored your own.

But "you be you," and take that attitude toward me... all good.

Another theory would be to say that anytime someone is a new beat writer, there is reason for healthy skepticism that they probably do not walk into the job having sources that are particularly well-developed... or even just coherent thoughts about the team that are particularly well-informed.

What a silly, wild, convoluted theory that is, huh?

Kirschner, over time, has been able to prove himself. I haven't done the deep dive analysis, and I would hope that I would never be so bored that I would ever feel moved to do one, but my general impression now is that, though he hasn't gotten everything right, he has proven himself to be one of the better Hawks reporters that we've had... and, aside, probably affirming The Athletic concept that commission-based jobs for writers has some merit after all.

Circling back to the point here...

Pout and throw shade at me saying so, but yes, I have more confidence in practically anything any of us writes here than what would this first-job-out-of-college writer from Indiana with no previous known ties to the Atlanta Hawks.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, sturt said:

Yes.

Why is that?

Well, one theory would be to say...

And it is true he did, and it is true that Bol was one of 5 players on my radar at the time.

And if you would judge me by that shallow of a standard, then, same shoe on your foot, would be to say you loved Kirschner because his assertions about Bol (or whoever) mirrored your own.

Do I think you form opinions about writers based on what they say about player A, B or C?

I don't. I don't think you're that shallow... yes, even though, as far as I recall, his assertions about Bol and others mirrored your own.

But "you be you," and take that attitude toward me... all good.

Another theory would be to say that anytime someone is a new beat writer, there is reason for healthy skepticism that they probably do not walk into the job having sources that are particularly well-developed... or even just coherent thoughts about the team that are particularly well-informed.

What a silly, wild, convoluted theory that is, huh?

Kirschner, over time, has been able to prove himself. I haven't done the deep dive analysis, and I would hope that I would never be so bored that I would ever feel moved to do one, but my general impression now is that, though he hasn't gotten everything right, he has proven himself to be one of the better Hawks reporters that we've had... and, aside, probably affirming The Athletic concept that commission-based jobs for writers has some merit after all.

Circling back to the point here...

Pout and throw shade at me saying so, but yes, I have more confidence in practically anything any of us writes here than what would this first-job-out-of-college writer from Indiana with no previous known ties to the Atlanta Hawks.

I'll say what AHF says: attack the post not the poster.

So, I'm ok if you want to attack the content of his article but I don't see the need to get all up in arms because it's his 'first job out of college' and again just like you did before pretty much being dismissive because of age and experience......

Kirschner strikes me as a young reporter who has no doubt in the world that every one of his sources are always informed and always more than happy to share with him precisely what is true...

And this one:

someone feels so trusting of a kid reporter with about 3 months on the job to have such deep insider intel. (And Kirschner is a NY kid with no ties to Atlanta)

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'll say what AHF says: attack the post not the poster.

Let me know when ol Ben becomes a Hawksquawk poster, and I'll be the first... in fact, I may have actually been the first way back when... to utter those words, and in this case, as it pertains to him.

Calling attention to and openly contemplating what the credibility should be of someone who is a paid blogger or reporter is never inappropriate. I don't know how one would argue to the contrary.

Intelligent, discerning people always consider the source.

And don't reduce this down to some kind of generalized prejudice please. It's about his inexperience and likely lack of any serious (yet) understanding of the topic. Yes, indeed it is because I myself was once new out of college that I have a pretty decent frame of reference for how lacking a person might be.

I really don't get why you find it so important to defend someone's writing (ie, this isn't even what we would call "reporting") to the degree that you do. It's as-if SI.com and The Athletic hired relatives of yours or something, it really is.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, sturt said:

Almost certainly not going to obtain Heyward via free agency.

But, that's not to say it's a foregone conclusion that BOS wouldn't trade him. In fact, there were rumors of that just before the deadline, and there continues to be some talk among C's bloggers that, though their seems to be a general preference to keep him, it would make some sense financially, and certainly so if there was some adequate return in the form of a legit center.

..........Bottom line? Wouldn't rule it out, but Ainge would probably want more than Schlenk would be willing to give up.

So, continuing down this vein... what I failed to consider previously is that BOS does have some incentive to reduce their salary load for 2020-21, as they're projected currently to exceed the tax threshold by a few million. It doesn't actually make much sense, given their exceptional wing depth, for Ainge to not make serious attempts to move Heyward. There may very well have been some legs to the trade deadline rumors that he was.

So, so.... wondering out loud to what degree this might be intriguing to both Ainge and Schlenk.

To BOS: 1 or 2 years of Dedmon @ $13m + OKC 2022 1st Rd Pick (#15-#30)

To ATL: Heyward

• Premium Member

What that would theoretically look like...

2020-04-11_2147.png

And yes, because the net would render something like $6m extra to spend, and because Heyward effectively checks off the "veteran presence" box, that's indeed Christian Wood you're seeing showing up as a free agent signing instead of our old pal Sap. Would be, in actuality, the bigger long-term benefit, as a consequence.

The other newcomer to the salary spreadsheet is young Ivan Rabb.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I think I would be on board with Heyward.  He is a upper tier player imo.  

From the Celts blogger linked above:

"...Hayward would be the kind of star-studded addition that could complete Atlanta’s lineup. A core of Young-Hayward-Collins-Capela figures to contend for the playoffs. With Atlanta having another top pick in the 2020 draft and recent draftees Kevin Huerter, DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish supplementing the group, the Hawks would be a deep team with a mix of youth and veterans.

"No team would make a greater leap with the addition of Hayward than the Hawks. As Young progresses as an All-Star to an All-NBA guard (perhaps even an MVP candidate eventually), the Hawks need to make sure they surround him with the proper talent.

"Hayward is the proper talent..."

I agree with both you and Jay on this... the "star-studded addition" description is a bit much given that it's been 2017 since the guy made his first and only All-Star appearance. But I'm really warming to the idea that it could be good strategy if you could add him. He adds some veteran stability to the starting line-up for what I think everyone anticipates will be our transition year from the dark side to the bright playoff lights. It's conceivable but not necessarily probable that, at year's end, Schlenk negotiates a 2-4 year deal with Heyward to become a more permanent fixture on the roster at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, sturt said:

Just as I suspected...

2020-03-31_1451.png

This would be cool. But was wondering with Gobert and Mitchell not getting along and assuming Mitchell gets his way the Jazz might be forced to move Gobert. He's basically the same player as Capella just a bit pricier. 

So would you be opposed to trading Capella for Gobert and snatching up their 1st rd pick.  As it stands #24. 

Edited by timebomb

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, timebomb said:

This would be cool. But was wondering with Gobert and Mitchell not getting along and assuming Mitchell gets his way the Jazz might be forced to move Gobert. He's basically the same player as Capella just a bit pricier. 

So would you be opposed to trading Capella for Gobert and snatching up their 1st rd pick.  As it stands #24. 

Capela's contract is the sticking point... a good sticking point. And I'm all for future 1st round picks, but at this point, I want to do what Ainge has done so effectively, which is to deal for ones that end up benefiting us after we get back to the playoffs.

So, nah, not at all tempted, really.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, timebomb said:

I would think that Utah is looking for more than just Capela for Gobert.

• Premium Member

Hearing now that Schlenk is arguing with himself. (Ainge seems interested, evidently.)

Option A ===>  4 years of Brandon Ingram + 1 year of Paul Millsap

Option B ===>  4 years of Christian Wood + 1 year of Gordon Haywood

Thinking now I'll recommend to him Option B.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Hearing now that Schlenk is arguing with himself. (Ainge seems interested, evidently.)

Option A ===>  4 years of Brandon Ingram + 1 year of Paul Millsap

Option B ===>  4 years of Christian Wood + 1 year of Gordon Haywood

Thinking now I'll recommend to him Option B.

I'd take either of those.  We gotta turn the corner this next season so the veteran(s) we acquire need to make a impact on these kids.  Not some wore out dude on a final tour.  

• Moderators
On 4/11/2020 at 2:45 PM, timebomb said:

Not at all.  Gobert is much better.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors)

VanVleet’s name has been among the most frequent to arise in connection with the Hawks, but his fit in Atlanta may be slightly overstated. 

Part of VanVleet’s appeal is his ability to guard both backcourt positions. Generously listed at six feet tall, the 26-year-old has the strength, quickness, and tenacity to hold his own against bigger guards and speedy ball-handlers alike. He hounds shooters coming around screens and is a smart, disruptive defender away from the primary action. 

Offensively, VanVleet would fit on most any team as a backup point guard or secondary playmaker in the starting lineup. He’s a reliable 3-point shooter with incredibly deep range and has an arsenal of cagey interior finishing moves to compensate for his lack of size. 

DJ Augustine and Garrett Temple (he is more SG)

• Premium Member

FVV is a going to be someone's back up? VF has been frequently connected to the Hawks?

Excuse me????

This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. But levity is a good thing, especially right now

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

VF is a going to be someone's back up? VF has been frequently connected to the Hawks?

Excuse me????

This just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. But levity is a good thing, especially right now

Been agreeing with you a bit too much lately, stu.  Maybe I need to reevaluate some thangs, no?

No idea why FVV would leave TOR to come be a backup.  Makes no sense.  At worst, a team like DET could pay him as much as we would to be a starter.

• Haha 1