• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

1 hour ago, High5 said:

Even in your own links you have Clippers fans saying he's way behind Siakam in terms of impact, his defense is overrated, his defense can't be overrated because no one thinks that highly of it, he can't guard the long centers, he gives up a lot of easy buckets, he doesn't have the physical tools to ever be a stopper, his rim protection is weak, he's a bad rebounder, and he's not good enough to be a starter. 

You got a few idiots on every site and Siakam while being overrated on defense is miles better on that end than John.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

So let me get this straight.  Next year's cap was projected to be at $113M prior to Covid affecting it.

25% of $113M = $28.25M but that number is probably going to be lower

I'm going to move it down only slightly to $27M for my working assumption.

Barnes will make a little over $22.2M next season.  You think Barnes fair value is $10M.  So that means he is overpaid by $12.2M.

So you think Collins' fair mark value is $27M-$12.2M = $14.8M

Did I get that right?  Because if you think JC's fair value is close to $20M then you would have to agree that Barnes is significantly more overpaid than JC would be on a max deal.

Barnes on a descending contract. 

Siakam max is 31 per. I want no smoke with that right now for any Hawk not named Trae Young 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Barnes on a descending contract. 

Siakam max is 31 per. I want no smoke with that right now for any Hawk not named Trae Young 

I think the cap is dropping in the near term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As we think about our loads of capspace this offseason and how we spend it, please note this is a real possibility for 2021, reduction in cap:

It will be interesting to see if we sign long term big money contracts or more short term high dollar contracts to save capspace for 2021 which may be a lot less than the projections were to start this season.

So with the anticipated big name 2021 FA bonanza that everyone is talking about, judicious spending this offseason is warranted.

I have noted previously however, that despite the big name 2021 class, how many of the big name FAs will actually look to the Hawks.  I know, we at least meed to have some capspace in reserve for this possibility.

The beauty of being in our position is we can cherry pick and the players who want security will be looking at us. If we choose we can easily go 16M for one player and 12 - 14M for one more. That will still leave us a ton of wiggle room for a point guard in this weak class of point guards.

I think 16M easily steals Bertans. The article I posted earlier said the Wizards will have a hard time justifying 15M for him. Grant at 10-12M or Crowder short term at 10-12M should be enough.

I think the Cavs and Hornets will sign Andre Drummond and Montrezl Harrell. The Knicks are a wild card. I don't know if they are dreaming about 2021/22 free agency or if they have finally accepted reality that great players do not view them with high regard. I think Miami is looking at 2020/21 and they will be very careful with what they shell out for Crowder or any free agent.

A shooter, a versatile defender, a point guard or go home Schlenk.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

tenor.gif

I think how they do it is at issue.  My projection for a Collins max contract was based on an assumed smoothing. 

Do you see any scenario where NBA owners will agree to not drop the cap given that it was already projected to drop before the Coronavirus situation came to fruition?

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

You got a few idiots on every site and Siakam while being overrated on defense is miles better on that end than John.

Same ol Supes. Those posters who agree with you are brilliant and the ones who don't are idiots. No proof or anything; just one broad demeaning stroke about people you have never met; much less have any idea what their IQ is.

When you posted this anti Collins rant 3 months ago, if it was someone else's post, would you call them a brilliant basketball mind or a idiot?

20200507_222055.jpg

20200507_222132.jpg

20200507_222220.jpg

20 hours ago, NBASupes said:

How? Can you further explain?

If you see him as just a solid player, you probably don't value him. 

Our biggest need is quality impact players (at least one since Capela trade) defense, and shooting. We critically need all three. 

He helps two of three. Shooting is just going to be something we have to improve internally. The guys available are too one wayish

I don't like his hips or feet on D. He's an OK shot blocker, OK rebounder. I guess I don't see anything that's a plus. I'd take him if the price isn't super high, but I saw someone saying like $20M for the dude. No way on that front. He's an OK player. He's a legitimately great play finisher, but we've already got Collins and Capela. I'd rather aim higher, while also addressing our weaknesses, because we've got big time weaknesses.

1 hour ago, TheFuzz said:

I don't like his hips or feet on D. He's an OK shot blocker, OK rebounder. I guess I don't see anything that's a plus. I'd take him if the price isn't super high, but I saw someone saying like $20M for the dude. No way on that front. He's an OK player. He's a legitimately great play finisher, but we've already got Collins and Capela. I'd rather aim higher, while also addressing our weaknesses, because we've got big time weaknesses.

I completely disagree with everything you said but the rebounding part but thanks for giving me your opinion. I wanted to know if this was something you really believe or you just don't like his game that much for that cost. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I completely disagree with everything you said but the rebounding part but thanks for giving me your opinion. I wanted to know if this was something you really believe or you just don't like his game that much for that cost. 

Does this guy have any variety to his game.  Highlights looks like the same plays over and over...Dunks,lay ups and put backs

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Does this guy have any variety to his game.  Highlights looks like the same plays over and over...Dunks,lay ups and put backs

Lot of people want Bertans or joe Harris as well and they don’t have no where near as much variety as trez.

in fact bertans and Harris both are one dimensional but very very good at the one thing they do. Yet everyone including myself wouldn’t mind them on the team

The ONLY thing Trez can’t do is shoot but I’m sure that will change as he goes on with his career.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, JTB said:

Lot of people want Bertans or joe Harris as well and they don’t have no where near as much variety as trez.

in fact bertans and Harris both are one dimensional but very very good at the one thing they do. Yet everyone including myself wouldn’t mind them on the team

The ONLY thing Trez can’t do is shoot but I’m sure that will change as he goes on with his career.

They have a blind spot to the fact that he can beat people off the dribble and explode. They have a blind spot to his post game. They have a blind spot to his PnR rollman abilities. They have a blind spot to his defense in general. The guy has been average an insane WAR each of the last three seasons, especially on defense. But let's take Bertrans and Harris who are carrying negative defensive ratings and that's not even accounting they will have to pair with Trae Young who clearly isn't a world beater in that area. These guys are oblivious to what we are and what we need to be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Salary Cap concerns on the horizon especially if no fans next season.

After the Rockets / China issue, the cap was already expected to drop from that lost revenue.  There are lots of ways the union and owners can address this but in all scenarios the cap will drop.  Keeping things “artificially high” is high relative to how they would otherwise drop and still will be lower year over year.