• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Collins to be traded?

noble

Was rolling through some news and came across this gem. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898018-realistic-offseason-trades-nba-fanbases-wouldnt-see-coming

Apparently it comes from an article from the Athletic that the Hawks don't want to give Collins a big contract.

What say you?

Edited by noble

43 minutes ago, noble said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898018-realistic-offseason-trades-nba-fanbases-wouldnt-see-coming

Apparently it comes from an article from the Athletic that the Hawks don't want to give Collins a big contract.

What say you?

Not happening.  The article they are referencing was Chris speculating, nothing was confirmed from management. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

That trade would be an epic fail ... I don’t want more draft picks and hoping guys with potential will actually be good players.  JC has proven he can contribute in a big way ... either resign or look for deals that will improve the team

It is like they think the Hawks will be rebuilding for the next 10 years the way they write.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Hawks are going to open up the purse strings to keep JC. Teams don't let young stars walk, and you never get equal value in a trade. 

Would you give him the max?

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, noble said:

What say you?

Bad trade and even worse premise: "The Hawks are still in the asset-accumulation phase of their rebuild".....and even if we are, we are 'accumulating' worse assets than we are trading away.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, terrell said:

Would you give him the max?

Yes, unless a trade makes sense and I haven't see ANY trade that makes sense for what the goal is next season.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think a better question is . . why wouldn't you give him the max?

Here is Kirschner and Veceni's latest take:

If you’re general manager Travis Schlenk, what would you do with Collins? After evaluating him, would you feel at ease if you gave him significant money?

Vecenie: I’d feel pretty good about giving Collins a lot of money for four years. I don’t know if it’ll be exactly a max deal or something slightly less than that. But Collins should be in the nine-figure range with this contract. Again, as I said in my previous story on the Hawks, “Collins is 22 and he’s coming off of a season in which he averaged 21.6 points and 10.1 rebounds on an obscene 65.9 true-shooting percentage. Similar to Young, his productivity has been genuinely special for his age. The list of players to have done what Collins did this year isn’t exactly long. It’s Collins and Charles Barkley. Heck, even reduce that down to 21 points and 10 rebounds on a 60 true-shooting percentage and you get Barkley and Collins with Kareem, Shaq, Karl-Anthony Towns, Moses Malone, Anthony Davis, Giannis, Dwight Howard, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Artis Gilmore and Wilt Chamberlain. That’s pretty outrageous for someone this young.”

It’s hard to come up with comparables for Collins because he has been so productive. Domantas Sabonis made the All-Star Game this year as an offense-first big man. He got four years, $77 million, but he wasn’t as productive as Collins has been entering his extension window. And, honestly, I think Sabonis took a bit of a discount. Aaron Gordon is more combo forward than big, but he got four years, $76 million on a lesser cap number. Again, his track record of production wasn’t quite as strong. Andre Drummond got a five-year max back in 2016 as an offense-first big man. DeMarcus Cousins signed a four-year max extension back in 2013 with Sacramento.

I think Collins is likely looking at the max or slightly less than the max when he signs this next deal. He has every right to at least ask for the max and it not be ridiculous, in my opinion. Now, I don’t know that the Hawks will agree to lock him in at that number, and maybe the discount to lock in life-changing money for him and his family is something like four years for somewhere in the range of $105 to $110 million as opposed to four years, $129 million. That represents a nice solid discount for Atlanta on a yearly basis, while also letting Collins hit free agency again at 27 years old for another big payday.

https://theathletic.com/1903662/2020/07/02/future-of-the-hawks-2-0-john-collins-and-projecting-atlantas-supporting-cast?source=user-shared-article

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I had avoided looking at that trade but went ahead and gave them a click since we are discussing it here.

:barf:

It was even worse than I expected.  Not only do I not like the trade if it was just Collins but we throw in Huerter too?!?  

Go Away Gtfo GIF

For a bag of popcorn and some socks

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AHF said:

I had avoided looking at that trade but went ahead and gave them a click since we are discussing it here.

:barf:

It was even worse than I expected.  Not only do I not like the trade if it was just Collins but we throw in Huerter too?!?  

Go Away Gtfo GIF

Yeah that trade was awful...lol

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not a chance in hell

How about 4 yr 100 mill?

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not a chance in hell

Gotta pay somebody, homes.  If not, be happy being a fly-over state.

Plus let's not pretend like his max is some prohibitive sum.  And let's also acknowledge that he'll likely be had for less than max.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Gotta pay somebody, homes.  If not, be happy being a fly-over state.

Plus let's not pretend like his max is some prohibitive sum.  And let's also acknowledge that he'll likely be had for less than max.

Pay Shawn Kemp 1991 ok. Just pay the man. He’s a double double machine. He’s quick twitch, always in peak shape (ok he tried to cheat but hopefully he learned which I think he did due to his military background. He’s entering his prime. This is where he starts hitting all star ⭐️ game. 

Supes, I want Trez but JC is our man. He’s the man. We groomed him now it’s time to pay 💰 dividends.

We can’t groom and trade or let go. That’s not us anymore. Not when we run into a quality guy like JC.

• Like 3