• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud was never that good of a coach

NBASupes

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Worst thing about watching this series is the amount of talent Milwaukee has is insane... Giannis is tough to build around but they put the best guys possible in what should be a very competitive lineup, but good god going down 50 is something else.  

Stop that.

Let's be honest about Giannis....

From a basketball skill perspective... He's not so great.   He needs to work on his game for real.

• His main skill is dunking or finger rolling. 
  • He can't shoot from three.
  • He has no midrange game.
  • He can't hit free throws.
  • Miami proved last year that if you build a wall, he is useless. 
  • This year, Harden has goaded him to prove that he's more than a dunker and now in the playoffs, he's trying to prove Harden wrong. 
  • He's a very good defender. 

Honestly,  when you look at Giannis and Ben Simmons, there are some similarities.  Simmons is a much better ball handler though.   The thing about the Bucks is that they are of the belief that if you put enough shooters around Giannis, teams will be forced to go out and guard them and that gives open lanes for Giannis.  That works some times... but if the shots are not falling.... Then there's no urgency to get out there.... and what Milwaukee lacks is that player who will takeover and make himself the target.

If you paired Giannis with Steph Curry or Dame Lillard, that may work for him.  However,  Giannis is what he is... a guaranteed 2 up close. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Stop that.

Let's be honest about Giannis....

From a basketball skill perspective... He's not so great.   He needs to work on his game for real.

• His main skill is dunking or finger rolling. 
  • He can't shoot from three.
  • He has no midrange game.
  • He can't hit free throws.
  • Miami proved last year that if you build a wall, he is useless. 
  • This year, Harden has goaded him to prove that he's more than a dunker and now in the playoffs, he's trying to prove Harden wrong. 
  • He's a very good defender. 

Honestly,  when you look at Giannis and Ben Simmons, there are some similarities.  Simmons is a much better ball handler though.   The thing about the Bucks is that they are of the belief that if you put enough shooters around Giannis, teams will be forced to go out and guard them and that gives open lanes for Giannis.  That works some times... but if the shots are not falling.... Then there's no urgency to get out there.... and what Milwaukee lacks is that player who will takeover and make himself the target.

If you paired Giannis with Steph Curry or Dame Lillard, that may work for him.  However,  Giannis is what he is... a guaranteed 2 up close. 

Stop what?  I pretty much agree with you on Giannis -- I've said having a #1 option that cannot shoot is just a disaster recipe in the post season... we see that every year.  I just think the Bucks have put about as good of a roster around him as you can hope for, and this is the result... I feel for Bucks fans, empathize with them... small market team that can't get over the hump, with Bud at the helm no less.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Both Ben and Giannis are miscast as primary lead ball handlers they should be operating from the post.

When you take the ball out of Ben's hands, he loses a lot of his draw.   He's an effective passer.  It will be hard for him to see himself as the Joker or Arvydas.  i.e. a Big who can post up and pass.   Especially when he can face up fairly well.   Both he and Giannis have been told that their best moves is driving from the elbow.   There's some truth to that... which is why I can't see either of them being a back to the basket post up guy. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Stop what?  I pretty much agree with you on Giannis -- I've said having a #1 option that cannot shoot is just a disaster recipe in the post season... we see that every year.  I just think the Bucks have put about as good of a roster around him as you can hope for, and this is the result... I feel for Bucks fans, empathize with them... small market team that can't get over the hump, with Bud at the helm no less.

I think that if you had a higher percentage/alpha scorer ala Dame or Steph... it could work.   If the lineup was Dame, Middleton, Giannis... then everything that Giannis brings to the table would be amplified because teams couldn't shade off of Dame.  But the requirement is that Giannis would have to improve his passing and his midrange shooting. 

This is why I'm not so gungho about trading the farm for him.   I don't know if he has it in him to improve.  He may be like Josh Smith and just want to do what he wants to do. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

When you take the ball out of Ben's hands, he loses a lot of his draw.   He's an effective passer.  It will be hard for him to see himself as the Joker or Arvydas.  i.e. a Big who can post up and pass.   Especially when he can face up fairly well.   Both he and Giannis have been told that their best moves is driving from the elbow.   There's some truth to that... which is why I can't see either of them being a back to the basket post up guy. 

I guess what I'm saying is that so far in their respective careers little has been done to really expand other aspects of their games.

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

I think that if you had a higher percentage/alpha scorer ala Dame or Steph... it could work.   If the lineup was Dame, Middleton, Giannis... then everything that Giannis brings to the table would be amplified because teams couldn't shade off of Dame.  But the requirement is that Giannis would have to improve his passing and his midrange shooting. 

This is why I'm not so gungho about trading the farm for him.   I don't know if he has it in him to improve.  He may be like Josh Smith and just want to do what he wants to do. 

Yeah, but if you need Steph Curry on your team to make it work, that's a problem lol... literally everyone in the league is way better with Curry's spacing.  Same goes for Dame and even Trae.  Giannis has to develop a respectable midrange jumper and a post game similar to Embiid if he wants to take it to the next level

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 6/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, but if you need Steph Curry on your team to make it work, that's a problem lol... literally everyone in the league is way better with Curry's spacing.  Same goes for Dame and even Trae.  Giannis has to develop a respectable midrange jumper and a post game similar to Embiid if he wants to take it to the next level

Even if Giannis never goes to the next level, he is still a hugely impactful player.  He would be ideally paired with someone like Trae who can score and playmake to unleash his super strengths on offense and cover up some of his liabilities.

I think in terms of the impact and limitations of Giannis, Shaq may be the better comparison:

Career Playoffs:

Shaq

image.png

Giannis

image.png

• Like 1

• Moderators

The title of this thread is funny to me.   I get hating Bud but the guy has been to the ecf 3 times in 8 years as a coach and has a 40-35 playoff record.   Maybe he's not great, maybe his abilities in the playoffs are suspect but the idea that he's 'not that good of a coach' is kind of silly. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 6/8/2021 at 2:22 PM, JeffS17 said:

No.... The stop that is saying that Bud is not a good coach.

Bud is a good coach.   You don't make it to the conference finals that he has made it to by Luck.   I won't underestimate his coaching pedigree.  I just hope that Nate proves to be a better coach.