• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud was never that good of a coach

NBASupes

6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Shot selection improves your shooting.  Just like someone was criticizing the Lakers for their shot selection, this definitely applies to the Hawks.  John Collins is the most efficient player on the Hawks but yet he is never featured for example.  You guys think personnel way too much.  And as far as the defense is concerned.  De'andre Hunter was NABC and ACC defensive player of the year in 2019...Now look at him.  Is this a coincidence?  Should be self explanatory.

Personnel definitely matters.  The way that personnel is used ( which is what you're alluding to ), matters as well.

You were highly critical of how the coach uses his players.  I'm probably the 2nd most critical in that department.  I've said that John Collins usage should be higher ( only 23%  . . I think that number should be closer to 27% usage ).  I hate the fact that a guy who used to kill people in the high and low posts in college, can barely get a look in those areas.  Meanwhile, other teammates get to launch up brick after brick.  It's limiting Collins' true impact on the game as a scorer.

As for Deandre, he needs to be at the 3 as much as possible, mainly because he's out of his element trying to guard guys bigger and quicker than he is.  I have no problem playing him spot minutes at the 4, but not full time, just so coach can keep Hunter - Cam - and Huerter on the floor at the same time.  Until those guys prove that they can handle playing together defensively, that's a no-go for me trying to play all of them together for an extended period of time.

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I guess you agree with me on shot selection since you didn't criticize that take.

I agree this team needs continued work on shot selection.  JC is pretty faultless there.  The rest can all improve one way or the other.  Not sure for our loser vets that it was bad shot selection so much as bad vets having bad seasons so I’m focusing that towards our core.  Not unexpected for guards and wings in their first few years in the league.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Personnel definitely matters.  The way that personnel is used ( which is what you're alluding to ), matters as well.

You were highly critical of how the coach uses his players.  I'm probably the 2nd most critical in that department.  I've said that John Collins usage should be higher ( only 23%  . . I think that number should be closer to 27% usage ).  I hate the fact that a guy who used to kill people in the high and low posts in college, can barely get a look in those areas.  Meanwhile, other teammates get to launch up brick after brick.  It's limiting Collins' true impact on the game as a scorer.

As for Deandre, he needs to be at the 3 as much as possible, mainly because he's out of his element trying to guard guys bigger and quicker than he is.  I have no problem playing him spot minutes at the 4, but not full time, just so coach can keep Hunter - Cam - and Huerter on the floor at the same time.  Until those guys prove that they can handle playing together defensively, that's a no-go for me trying to play all of them together for an extended period of time.

Excellent analysis!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree this team needs continued work on shot selection.  JC is pretty faultless there.  The rest can all improve one way or the other.  Not sure for our loser vets that it was bad shot selection so much as bad vets having bad seasons so I’m focusing that towards our core.  Not unexpected for guards and wings in their first few years in the league.

There you go again putting the onus on the payers!  I remember a write up talking about how when Jeff Teague used restraint when taking 3 pointers was criticized by LB.  He ten went on to state that he wanted Teague to at least take 4 3 pointers per game regardless of situation.  Thought that was very strange.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It actually should have been Minny Jimmy, since we would have traded for him from the Wolves and if you seriously think that Jimmy would have resigned with a rebuilding team you're kidding yourself. He wasn't the leader of the young players with the Bulls or Wolves.

You think he would have been happy with the Trae Young of the 2 months of his rookie season? He probably would have been traded midseason.

That's my point about having Jimmy here to absorb some of the responsibility.  Trae was thrown into the swimming pool like an infant, and expected to at least float on his own without any assistance.  Without Collins in the 1st part of his rookie season, he damn near drown.  Luckily for us, Trae did learn how to "swim" by the All-Star break.

Here's what I'll say about Jimmy coming to a rebuilding team.  It's not like he had a lot of options of teams to go to, especially if he wanted a max contract.  Miami was the obvious destination for him as a free agent.  But if you're a franchise like the Hawks, that traditionally does not obtain high quality free agents, you have to take a gamble sometimes.

In my mind, taking a gamble on Jimmy does not change our trajectory one bit, because our future is hinging mainly on Trae and John.  And it's hard to say that a guy like Jimmy will disrupt chemistry, when we have no chemistry to begin with.  So the Hawks would basically have 1 season to try to sell Jimmy that Atlanta is possibly the place for him.  If he believes it, great.  If he doesn't, we keep playing with lotto balls.

When you look at what the Mavericks did, they made a play to get a guy who basically forced his way out of his own team, they also weren't worried about how much the organization or the fans may have hated that player.  Once that player made a stance that he wanted to leave his current team, the Mavs pounced on that and obtained a borderline All-Star ( Porzingis ) who was hurt, and a 6th man type scorer ( Hardaway Jr ).  This immediately provided their young superstar with quality young starters that he can play with.

I'm over the part where we tanked, because we have the superstar type of player we can build around.  And we have another borderline All-Star player to compliment him. Now we need legit vet talent that are either on their level to create our "big 3", or multiple quality vets to round out the team.  Hopefully Capela is the first piece of that puzzle.  But we need at least 3 more pieces.

6 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t know how Houston has thrived since slotting Tucker at the 5, I can barely watch them.  All I know is it’s/ he’s amazing.  If it were as simple as post him  up/ dominate the glass they would be far from 1-0 in the semis.  Everyone (including me) thought it was moronic and would lead to disaster when D’Antoni implemented it months ago.  

And trust me North, had Jimmy come here it would’ve been his shortest stint with a team by far.  All the things he values most, we have none of.

To me, it's simple.  PJ is their brick wall to their defense.  The way you knock down a brick wall, is that you take a wrecking ball to it.

PJ is their defender at center, and their main corner 3 shooter.  If you get PJ in foul trouble, you disrupt 2 major elements of their attack.

I swear to God that I'm making PJ defend in the post for the entire 1st quarter.  The Rockets are either going to have send help to him, or I'm going to have the post guy go at him on every possession, to try to foul him out of the game.  Forget McGee, maybe the guy to throw at him is Dwight.  He still has a decent post game and he can draw fouls.  Plus he's expendable.  Then you make him defend AD in the post.  Then maybe Lebron in the post.

If they send help, it's up to the Lakers "shooters" to knock down wide open shots.  But PJ is the guy I'm attacking, every chance I get.

2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

It's not just Tucker for the Rockets. Their whole team is stout defending the post, and they help and rotate very well. Only thing McGee and Dwight are good for in this series are lobs and rebounding. It will be interesting to how the Rockets would've fared against the Blazers or the Nuggets in the playoffs.

They don't make a concerted effort to attack PJ.  They do it once or twice, then give up.  If he's the reason why they can get away with playing small ball, then he's the guy you must get out of the game.

PJ hasn't fouled out of a single game all year.  That's amazing to me.