• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Bud was never that good of a coach

NBASupes

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Supes has a point.  Giannis is definitely a generational talent.  But when the overwhelmingly best offensive weapon you have is only taking 18 shots, while Marvin and Matthews are taking 14 combined ( going 3 - 14 ), maybe the coach should be designing the offense so that Giannis can get 25 - 30 shots up.  Instead, Bud is coaching this like it's the regular season and not the playoffs.

If he keeps doing that, Milwaukee will be outta here by the end of the weekend.  If I'm the coach, I'm putting Giannis in position to score 40 points a game.  Forget all of those schizophrenic role players.  Let your superstar carry the load until they are ready to contribute.

If Lebron only took 18 shots, we wouldn't blame the coach, we would say he's being too passive.

If MJ took 18 shots, we wouldnt blame Phil, we would ask whats up with Michael.

If Kobe took only 18..... never would have happened, but you get it.

When the Thunder won game 6 we praised CP3, not Billy Donovan, for taking over down the stretch.

The defense of Giannis is also the indicment if you ask me. Those names I mentioned, and many others proved time and time again that when it was winning time, the ball was going to find them some way and they would make plays. That was regardless of X's and O's, because they had the skill to make something out of nothing if the defense blew up the play. And when it was all over the blame was on their shoulders and they carried it, good or bad. If Bud is his excuse for not demanding the rock, or the top defensive assignments as DPOY, then he doesn't have the same gene as those other guys.  We can credit all his wins to coaching, since he only moves as coach says.

Giannis is young. He has time. But he is NOT that guy right now, and I really question if his game will ever allow him to be that guy. Because truthfully, if he is only dominant around the rim, and just okay/good everywhere else, then he needs that perimeter superstar to do all the things I just mentioned. 

He can be dominant, so was Shaq. But Shaq only won 1 MVP for similar reasons. Shaq was the most dominant player during his career, but rarely was he considered the BEST player. And Shaq wasnt a champ without a running mate that could have the ball in their hands late.

Bron was/is still this leagues MVP if you ask me. Giannis and Harden are equal to

24 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

If Lebron only took 18 shots, we wouldn't blame the coach, we would say he's being too passive.

If MJ took 18 shots, we wouldnt blame Phil, we would ask whats up with Michael.

If Kobe took only 18..... never would have happened, but you get it.

When the Thunder won game 6 we praised CP3, not Billy Donovan, for taking over down the stretch.

The defense of Giannis is also the indicment if you ask me. Those names I mentioned, and many others proved time and time again that when it was winning time, the ball was going to find them some way and they would make plays. That was regardless of X's and O's, because they had the skill to make something out of nothing if the defense blew up the play. And when it was all over the blame was on their shoulders and they carried it, good or bad. If Bud is his excuse for not demanding the rock, or the top defensive assignments as DPOY, then he doesn't have the same gene as those other guys.  We can credit all his wins to coaching, since he only moves as coach says.

Giannis is young. He has time. But he is NOT that guy right now, and I really question if his game will ever allow him to be that guy. Because truthfully, if he is only dominant around the rim, and just okay/good everywhere else, then he needs that perimeter superstar to do all the things I just mentioned. 

He can be dominant, so was Shaq. But Shaq only won 1 MVP for similar reasons. Shaq was the most dominant player during his career, but rarely was he considered the BEST player. And Shaq wasnt a champ without a running mate that could have the ball in their hands late.

Bron was/is still this leagues MVP if you ask me. Giannis and Harden are equal to

Shaq didn't play no where near as hard as Giannis or possession by possession as Giannis and his era was more fair to this style of play 

Giannis has the green light to take as many shots as he wants. He just has to work so hard for his points without a reliable jumper once the game slows down and he’s probably further discouraged from being aggressive because of his FT shooting woes. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, High5 said:

Giannis has the green light to take as many shots as he wants. He just has to work so hard for his points without a reliable jumper once the game slows down and he’s probably further discouraged from being aggressive because of his FT shooting woes. 

Facts.

Not having the jumper, and knowing you dont have it, will keep you from being aggressive. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Shaq didn't play no where near as hard as Giannis or possession by possession as Giannis and his era was more fair to this style of play 

There is no way to debate that, and its kind of strawman. My point isnt who played harder, it was comparing their dominance and pointing out that Shaq was never able to do it as THE guy, despite being the most dominating force in the history of basketball as some had put it. 
Giannis, without refined perimeter skills (shooting and playmaking), will not be able to do it as THE guy either. 

And I think that makes him overrated as a soon to be 2 time MVP and current DPOY. I saw neither of those accolades on display when it has mattered most.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

There is no way to debate that, and its kind of strawman. My point isnt who played harder, it was comparing their dominance and pointing out that Shaq was never able to do it as THE guy, despite being the most dominating force in the history of basketball as some had put it. 
Giannis, without refined perimeter skills (shooting and playmaking), will not be able to do it as THE guy either. 

And I think that makes him overrated as a soon to be 2 time MVP and current DPOY. I saw neither of those accolades on display when it has mattered most.

I don't think Giannis is playing badly at all. To stop him from driving, the Heat are commiting help from 2 extra defenders regularly. The best play is to move the ball and Giannis has done that. I think it's a bigger indictment on his team that they can't individually take advantage of the attention Giannis is getting.

Milwaukee shot 7-24 from three outside of Giannis in Game 2 and that's clearly not good enough. Not enough takes, not enough makes. And when the Heat have a lot of slow defenders on the court, they've failed to take advantage of that. You're right that Giannis' weaknesses are getting exploited to an extent, but it's not like there's no counter to the way the Heat are defending him. If the heat are committed to stopping him from driving, everybody else needs to be ready to shoot.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

They have exactly the same roster. Let's quit making excuses for Bud.

I said this two months ago when they started looking at restarting.  It is reality that restarting throws a wrench into the whole process.  It is why I said I don't view these playoffs as an extension of the 2019-20 season.  They are a separate tournament and you should expect more variance in the results ala what we saw from Phoenix.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I disagree.  Shaq deserved more MVPs but didn't win them because of a bias against him as a big man, imo.  It is why Steve Nash and Allen Iverson won MVPs that Shaq deserved because he was better and more impactful than either of them those seasons.  

Probably some voter fatigue the Iverson season since Shaq had just won the year before.   The WS gap is huge.

image.png

Definitely excitement over an exciting point on an exciting team (and likely a demographic issue as well) with Nash:

image.png

IMO, a lot of voters didn't like Shaq bullying people and he lost votes for style points whereas Nash got all kinds of bonus points for style and image.  (Definitely wasn't his defense).

Also, Shaq was clearly THE man on the Lakers when they won their first ring.  The gap between him and Kobe was bigger than many other stars and their #2.

image.png

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Bud deserves criticism for sure.  Maybe it's just on HS since he's our former coach but as was pointed out by others not sure why Bud gets so much and other coaches are ignored.   Like Donovan who had a rookie inbound the ball on the most critical play of the year.  Two tries and he failed miserably both times.   Or the former HS darling Quin Snyder who's team blew a 3-1 lead.   Where are all the people who pined for him?

• Like 3

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Bud deserves criticism for sure.  Maybe it's just on HS since he's our former coach but as was pointed out by others not sure why Bud gets so much and other coaches are ignored.   Like Donovan who had a rookie inbound the ball on the most critical play of the year.  Two tries and he failed miserably both times.   Or the former HS darling Quin Snyder who's team blew a 3-1 lead.   Where are all the people who pined for him?

I consider Donovan a below average coach.  I'd love to hire him as a college AD but not as an NBA GM.

Snyder...yeah...that was a rough turn for him.  For those who watched that series, what was the story?  Did they run out of gas running close to a 7 man rotation?

Bud deserves criticism if they lose the series.  My comments on the additional randomness in the restart doesn't absolve him of that.  But it is a factor that shouldn't be ignored either.

• Moderators

i didn't watch every minute of the Jazz series but my opinion was that Mitchell just couldn't beat them by himself.   Conley and Gobert put up ok numbers but just didn't seem to be there when it mattered.    Mitchell needs help.    I guess in defense of Snyder Utah is probably out performing their talent but that doesn't excuse dropping 3 straight to lose the series.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

i didn't watch every minute of the Jazz series but my opinion was that Mitchell just couldn't beat them by himself.   Conley and Gobert put up ok numbers but just didn't seem to be there when it mattered.    Mitchell needs help.    I guess in defense of Snyder Utah is probably out performing their talent but that doesn't excuse dropping 3 straight to lose the series.  

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

Snyder...yeah...that was a rough turn for him.  For those who watched that series, what was the story?  Did they run out of gas running close to a 7 man rotation?

Utah was missing Bojan Bogdanovic, would have helped with the scoring load for Mitchell.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The team including Mitchell played horrific Defense.  That's why they lost.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

IOW, Snyder was offensively one-note and relied too heavily on his one star player.  Hmm, where have I seen that before?

:Bud: "Say it.  Say it and I'mma kick yo' a**, kg."

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Other than Cam, Trae, Capela, and Hunter,  I'll trade every asset for a Giannis rental. We can build a bench for cheap with Giannis. We need Trae, Cam, Hunter, and Capela. 

Kevin

John

6th pick

2021 1st

Unless Giannis is signing an extension that's too much. Even if that's the price, I'm not paying it for somebody who may decide to leave in a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2