• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Sothron said:

If we could move Capela in the off season and start OO I feel comfortable doing it. I would try to keep Dieng as the BU and to have a legit 7 footer for size issues. 

I like having both of them better but if we dealt Capela, we would need to upgrade over Dieng.  First, OO is still green and developing and I don't think he is ready for a full load as a starter.  I'm pretty eager to see how he holds up against repeated outings matched against an opponent's longest, biggest player.  Not yet convinced he won't get overpowered in some of those matchups.  Second, OO has missed a ton of games due to injury in his short career.  If we have playoff aspirations, we can't be relying on Dieng as a starter.  He hasn't lived up to my expectations for this year as a third string center (although I think he clearly still offers value in that role).

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Still not ready to give up on Capela yet. I feel like he hasn't been healthy this season which has hampered his defensive impact. But if the Hawks decide to move him, I feel more than ok with OO starting at center. OO very well may end up being the Hawks' version of Ben Wallace with more offensive capability. I'd still add another 7 foot stiff that plays defense to keep the center rotation at three since Dieng isn't as defensive minded as I thought he was.

I would be much happier trading Clint in the offseason than I would be trading JC right now. Clint is not a great fit as is, especially since his finishing at the rim has become suspect.

• Premium Member

I hate how Hawks fans are so Either OR....  Why can't we just be happy having both?

Travis has set it up that we have Clint and when OO starts to get it, Clint is a BU.   What's wrong with that?

We got squawkers who Believe that "We got to move Clint by this offseason...  We got to move Clint as soon as possible".   You all don't get it.  Clint is better at some things than OO and OO still got a lot to learn.  Last night was a clear case of OO being Outclassed.   You can't tell me that he had a good game with all the dumb fouls that he committed.   First a foremost, OO has to learn to keep his feet.  He jumps at almost everything.  Bam was actually goading him to jump.    Then OO has to learn how to play against the PNR. 

OO is best at taking a defender coming downhill and staying with him.  Like I said before.   That's why he looks good against Embiid, Giannis, and KAT.   Those guys feast against Centers like Clint who they can overpower as they drive by.  But a Guy like Bam is disciplined in that he's moving when he doesn't have the ball. 

Secondly, Clint is a lot better with his chemistry with Trae.   Last night, you saw it... CC and Trae can run the PNR out of any condition and for them it's a recognition thing.  Clint never has to call for the ball and Trae knows where Clint's going to be.   OO's offense and offensive recognition is not there yet. 

For the time being can we be happy having both bigs.. and recognize that we have situational big men??  OO will develop and when he does, he will play more.  But for now, let's not be so quick to weaken this team. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

OO looked the part of an inexperienced rookie last night vs Bam.   The guy bought more head fakes than I buy Ding Dongs when I go to the Hostess factory outlet store.

We both need to reign that in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I hate how Hawks fans are so Either OR....  Why can't we just be happy having both?

Travis has set it up that we have Clint and when OO starts to get it, Clint is a BU.   What's wrong with that?

We got squawkers who Believe that "We got to move Clint by this offseason...  We got to move Clint as soon as possible".   You all don't get it.  Clint is better at some things than OO and OO still got a lot to learn.  Last night was a clear case of OO being Outclassed.   You can't tell me that he had a good game with all the dumb fouls that he committed.   First a foremost, OO has to learn to keep his feet.  He jumps at almost everything.  Bam was actually goading him to jump.    Then OO has to learn how to play against the PNR. 

OO is best at taking a defender coming downhill and staying with him.  Like I said before.   That's why he looks good against Embiid, Giannis, and KAT.   Those guys feast against Centers like Clint who they can overpower as they drive by.  But a Guy like Bam is disciplined in that he's moving when he doesn't have the ball. 

Secondly, Clint is a lot better with his chemistry with Trae.   Last night, you saw it... CC and Trae can run the PNR out of any condition and for them it's a recognition thing.  Clint never has to call for the ball and Trae knows where Clint's going to be.   OO's offense and offensive recognition is not there yet. 

For the time being can we be happy having both bigs.. and recognize that we have situational big men??  OO will develop and when he does, he will play more.  But for now, let's not be so quick to weaken this team. 

I agree we are better with both and can mix and match as needed.  Miami runs a complex offensive scheme and OO needs a little more experience to keep up with all the nuances of it.  Clint did an excellent job last night.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, shakes said:

OO looked the part of an inexperienced rookie last night vs Bam.   The guy bought more head fakes than I buy Ding Dongs when I go to the Hostess factory outlet store.

We both need to reign that in.

It was so bad early that I was proud of OO in the 4th when he didn't go for Bam's up fake!!

Bam did the upfake two or three times in a row and when OO didn't Jump, Bam looked perplexed.  It was like when your girlfriend stop believing that you had to work late. 

I will continue to say that OO will get it and when he figures out that he's a 7 foot rim protecting big, he won't fall for the dumb fouls as easy. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I agree we are better with both and can mix and match as needed.  Miami runs a complex offensive scheme and OO needs a little more experience to keep up with all the nuances of it.  Clint did an excellent job last night.  

OO and Clint play defense differently. 

OO is totally reactionary right now.  That's good in some cases because he can move and be in place quickly.   So if OO sees somebody being picked, he quickly runs in to switch or to pick up the stop the ball man from going to one side. 

Clint on the other hand plays his man.  Clint can see that same pick and roll, he will just fall back and play his man.   It hurts Clint when the ball man sheds off and pops the shot from the midcourt (PNP).   When the PNR becomes a PNP, OO is usually right there with the ball man.   What kills OO is when he goes with the ball man and leaves the middle wide open for the roller.   It's the dreaded Miami Heat Dribble Handoff.  OO plays it close and leaves the middle open.   Clint sags back and forces the ball man to hit the lower percentage shot. 

The other thing that Kills OO that doesn't Kill CC is the backscreen.   Nate has to have some Film Study with OO.  Everytime out of a time out, Miami would run a two men down to one side and one man down the middle.  Fake the dribble handoff and then through it cross court to one of the men going down the side for the dunk or easy layin.   The reason it worked is because the fake dribble handoff gives enough time for a backscreen to be set.  Clint's sagging back usually means that he was in position to feel the backscreen coming.  OO's playing up meant that there was no way he could get to the open man.

Miami's dribble handoff is almost as deadly as our PNR. 

• Like 3

Having both is a plus. It gives opposing teams different looks with each style being extremely effective on it's own.

Like a 2 headed monster in football at RB. As soon as one wears you down, here comes the next guy with fresh legs to keep pounding. That's my ideal scenario with OO and Clint this season. A tag team duo that protects the rim and can matchup against any style of big. 48 minutes of great center play.

• Like 2

Lest we forget:  Lou Williams took this rookie under his wing and trained him quiet a bit.  We traded for another young man who needs veteran leadership.  NY didn't really develop Kevin Knox.  Was it all the fault of KK that he's not much better than he is now?

We all see how 0017 has grown and we are proud of what he is now.  Perhaps this formula will work with our newest Hawk.  We do have some veterans here that are willing to help, I believe.  KK must be willing.  

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This kid is nice. Highly skilled. When he is on like he was again tonight, I never want to see him leave the court. He consistently makes spectacular plays and provides confidence and energy to the whole entire team.

• Like 2