• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I love all that but the one attribute for me is his smarts, dude has brains and very intelligent and efficient on the basketball court. The IQ is off the charts and once you team him up with the IQ of Trae and Huerter and Bogi, it’s just beautiful basketball.

We made the right pick in Okongwu.

00 giving me a Lester Hayes kinda feel and he is doing it without stickum. He has seriously impressed this post season. My word.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Despite Wiseman's elite physical tools, there were some who said Okongwu was the best big in the Draft. I said OO wasn't a "sexy" pick on Draft night, but knew he was sorely needed on this team because of what he can do defensively. I also saw some offensive potential at USC. Now that the game has slowed down, his defensive instincts and motor are starting to become more evident. He's not overthinking the game anymore. He's also a pogo stick with great hands on offense which is perfect for Trae or any PnR point guard.

I never wavered that Okongwu was the best big in the draft

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

During the draft process I thought Onyeka was a top 3, I thought he would be slotted at the Hornets pick at 3. 

Honestly think the Warriors made a HUGE mistake and if they had drafted Okongwu they would be in the playoffs and let me just say this, Curry and Okongwu would have been trouble. 

We got him, they got Wiseman. 

I thought if he was just 1-2 inches taller he would definitely be top 3 or at least there would be an argument for being the best big available against Wiseman.

Wiseman had the size but Okongwu had the versatility. I was always jealous of the bigs athletic enough to hedge ball handlers on the perimeter and even defend smaller guys in short pinches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

Despite Wiseman's elite physical tools, there were some who said Okongwu was the best big in the Draft. I said OO wasn't a "sexy" pick on Draft night, but knew he was sorely needed on this team because of what he can do defensively. I also saw some offensive potential at USC. Now that the game has slowed down, his defensive instincts and motor are starting to become more evident. He's not overthinking the game anymore. He's also a pogo stick with great hands on offense which is perfect for Trae or any PnR point guard.

Great point about him improving as the game has slowed to playoff pacing.  He has the IQ to read the deliberate half court game on both ends yet the fast-twitch movement that serves him well in any scenario.  

When Siakam is at his best his decision making on when to toggle between super aggressive and totally chill is awesome.  Gwu reminds me of him a lot without the offesnive skill set of course (yet). He’s never “in the way.”  Yet when you need him he’s already there.  Our ball handlers are so confident with his screening and rolling, at any spot on the floor. 

Edited by benhillboy

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

And we've got people around here thinking another Center is our biggest need this offseason.

🤪

Still doesn't hurt to get more depth there. But 'Gwu is really turning heads this postseason and I hope he continues to build on this going into next season.

People sh*t on James Wiseman a lot but he’s still quite raw.  From what I’ve seen he has promise for sure but a bright red flag for me is when front court players with high usage commit more fouls and turnovers than field goals made.  That’s the Dwight IQ curse.

16 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

People sh*t on James Wiseman a lot but he’s still quite raw.  From what I’ve seen he has promise for sure but a bright red flag for me is when front court players with high usage commit more fouls and turnovers than field goals made.  That’s the Dwight IQ curse.

Also the expectations for him year 1 were way too high. Mind you, he only played 3 college games before he withdrew, added on with the time missed from the global pandemic. It's gonna take time, but I think he'll also be a really good player in this league.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I never wavered that Okongwu was the best big in the draft

I thought you had Obi Toppin over him.

I'll raise my hand and say I didn't have OO at the top of my list and my reaction was excitement based as much on the fact that TS chose him over Hayes, Toppin, etc. and I believed in TS.  

What impresses me the most with him is how mature his defense is.  Most rookie big men are suckers for a head fake and struggle to be in the right place, to stay with the right man, to avoid unnecessary gambles, etc. and he does it all the right way at such a young age.  He is never going to be a huge big but his mobility, length and strength are so promising.  Really excited to see what he can do the rest of the playoffs and coming into next year.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love me some Big O. Just looking ahead a few years, I think in a perfect scenario if he can develop an outside shot, especially if that's a 3 point shot, which would allow him to get some minutes at the 4 on the court at the same time as Capela then that would be huge.

With Gallo only under contract for 2 more years, his outside shooting is going to need to be replaced at some point; it would be awesome if the bulk of the frontcourt minutes could be divided up between Capela, Collins, and Okongwu in a few years. That depends on Okongwu doing what JC was able to do though, extend his shooting range out to 3 point land. 

But if nothing else, it's at least clear that we've found our center of the future. 

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I thought you had Obi Toppin over him.

I'll raise my hand and say I didn't have OO at the top of my list and my reaction was excitement based as much on the fact that TS chose him over Hayes, Toppin, etc. and I believed in TS.  

What impresses me the most with him is how mature his defense is.  Most rookie big men are suckers for a head fake and struggle to be in the right place, to stay with the right man, to avoid unnecessary gambles, etc. and he does it all the right way at such a young age.  He is never going to be a huge big but his mobility, length and strength are so promising.  Really excited to see what he can do the rest of the playoffs and coming into next year.  

Oh yeah, 2nd best big in the draft. Obi is looking like a miss for me.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Also the expectations for him year 1 were way too high. Mind you, he only played 3 college games before he withdrew, added on with the time missed from the global pandemic. It's gonna take time, but I think he'll also be a really good player in this league.

Yup, exactly. He basically has the experience of a high school freshman, aka he was essentially a straight out of highschool prospect experience-wise. Been a minute since we had one of those so people forget who raw they can be. 

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Some Warrior fans have complained about his work ethic so may be something to that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Oh yeah, 2nd best big in the draft. Obi is looking like a miss for me.

I thought Obi would come in and his three ball would help keep him on the floor but not so. Anyway he did look a bit better end of the season so he should be at least more interesting next season.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I thought Obi would come in and his three ball would help keep him on the floor but not so. Anyway he did look a bit better end of the season so he should be at least more interesting next season.

That franchise just chews up and spits out young players no matter how much promise they may have.  The contributions they’ve gotten from their draft picks over the last few years is depressing even for a non-Knicks fan.

• Like 4