• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

As far as his game, the kid is really growing up out there before our eyes. You can see how each series it takes him a couple of games to get a feel for the opponent, then he is able to play more free and comfortable. Im most impressed that his IQ and awareness have really sharpened going against seasoned guys with more experience than him. He is staying home, not biting as much, staying out of foul trouble. 

His explosion is really good, and the more on top of the play he is, the more he is able to showcase his athleticism.

He is going to be a really good big.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

For essentially the same reason King Kong wouldn't be likely to stick, you're also not going to get ESPN or the rest of the league to accept Big O. You're just not. Some things cross an unnecessary line.

It's one thing for a single head coach of the team to use the nickname, spitting in the face of a Hall of Famer, but that's as far as it will go, mark my words.

EVERYONE else understands. Except, evidently, our otherwise highly intelligent and seemingly highly ethical head coach, as well as the general manager.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, sturt said:

For essentially the same reason King Kong wouldn't be likely to stick, you're also not going to get ESPN or the rest of the league to accept Big O. You're just not. Some things cross an unnecessary line.

It's one thing for a single head coach of the team to use the nickname, spitting in the face of a Hall of Famer, but that's as far as it will go, mark my words.

EVERYONE else understands. Except, evidently, our otherwise highly intelligent and seemingly highly ethical head coach, as well as the general manager.

The biggest issue is that he doesn't want another nickname. If he was nameless the fanbase could make him one like John The Baptist or Red Velvet. 

Until he drops it himself there's not gonna be room for another one.

9 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Ah yes, the beyond tired trope of telling other people what they should or should not be offended by...

People can be offended by whatever they want. But why go out of your way to be offended by something that is not intended to be offensive? If something is intentionally offensive and demeaning, then by all means be offended. But like Charles Barkley was saying, executives were telling him "context doesn't matter." If context doesn't matter, then nothing matters. Context should always matter, and intention should matter. 

8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

People can be offended by whatever they want. But why go out of your way to be offended by something that is not intended to be offensive? If something is intentionally offensive and demeaning, then by all means be offended. But like Charles Barkley was saying, executives were telling him "context doesn't matter." If context doesn't matter, then nothing matters. Context should always matter, and intention should matter. 

But good luck knowing everyone's intention. That's the problem. You can't know intent for certain. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I like calling him Double Oh personally at home or at games. 

He is becoming exactly what he was in college: basically a smaller Capela. The big question for me is can he develop an outside shot and more importantly can he hit free throws. 

He is already more reliable at the line than capela i think.   To me he's kind of a combo of Capela and Collins.  He's a lot more mobile and athletic than Capela and has shown a much better touch around the rim (which isn't saying a lot).

• Like 4

• Moderators

Gwu or OO are fine for me.  Big O is sacrilege within the pantheon of NBA greats.  Nobody should be called Wilt the Stilt even if their name is Wilt.  Nobody should be called Pistol Pete even if their name is Peter.  Nobody should be called the Human Highlight Film even if they dunk the ball with impressive force and style.  There are a handful of nicknames that are just not meant to be handed off and Big O is one of them.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I come from the school that says nicknames are given and accepted, as opposed to self-chosen and accepted.

That is... one can say, I want to be called, "x," but it's really up to others to determine for themselves whether they are going to do that... ie, unless you're one of those who refers to him/herself always in third person, which is really, really irritating to listen to and has been the gist of some really good comedy over the years. I suppose if you do that, maybe, eventually it catches on, but probably only because others think it's hilarious that you talk that way.

And, I'm unaware that OO has, himself, anointed himself Big O. Rather, that's seemed to just evolve in-house among the players, coaches and staff, and among them it's become accepted.

He needs a nickname that everyone will accept. So, no King Kong. No Big O. And waaaay too many don't make it a point to keep up with pop culture enough that a Gwu-Tang thing is going to catch on readily, though unlike the other two, there's nothing as far as I know that would make it offensive or potentially so.

So, I hate that King Kong is off the chalkboard because it's such a fit given the position he plays and the intimidation factor that the title naturally carries... and still bigger picture, it's such a pox on us as people that such a ridiculous negative connotation would exist in anyone's mind to begin with.

And I hate that Big O is taken by a Hall of Famer for whom that name is, in fact, arguably how he's more commonly addressed and spoken of and written about than by his actual Oscar Robertson name, not unlike how we ordinarily reference Dr. J as that instead of Julius or reference Magic as that instead of Earvin.

Best compromise, to me, is to marry OO... and Big O... and so... Big OO.

Oh. And.

I'm buying this today. Today. No, really. @RedDawg#8, what do you think?

80f63548-4c01-4096-9daa-4976b1c22af7_1.38694299edba74d16d636ef304d5e71d.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I come from the school that says nicknames are given and accepted, as opposed to self-chosen and accepted.

That is... one can say, I want to be called, "x," but it's really up to others to determine for themselves whether they are going to do that... ie, unless you're one of those who refers to him/herself always in third person, which is really, really irritating to listen to and has been the gist of some really good comedy over the years. I suppose if you do that, maybe, eventually it catches on, but probably only because others think it's hilarious that you talk that way.

And, I'm unaware that OO has, himself, anointed himself Big O. Rather, that's seemed to just evolve in-house among the players, coaches and staff, and among them it's become accepted.

He needs a nickname that everyone will accept. So, no King Kong. No Big O. And waaaay too many don't make it a point to keep up with pop culture enough that a Gwu-Tang thing is going to catch on readily, though unlike the other two, there's nothing as far as I know that would make it offensive or potentially so.

So, I hate that King Kong is off the chalkboard because it's such a fit given the position he plays and the intimidation factor that the title naturally carries... and still bigger picture, it's such a pox on us as people that such a ridiculous negative connotation would exist in anyone's mind to begin with.

And I hate that Big O is taken by a Hall of Famer for whom that name is, in fact, arguably how he's more commonly addressed and spoken of and written about than by his actual Oscar Robertson name, not unlike how we ordinarily reference Dr. J as that instead of Julius or reference Magic as that instead of Earvin.

Best compromise, to me, is to marry OO... and Big O... and so... Big OO.

Oh. And.

I'm buying this today. Today. No, really. @RedDawg#8, what do you think?

80f63548-4c01-4096-9daa-4976b1c22af7_1.38694299edba74d16d636ef304d5e71d.jpeg

It's not my style lol, Too much yellow. Mine was Navy with the bananas a little smaller. Can't believe we are having this conversation lol 

• Haha 1

I don't think the use of Big O is the same as calling someone Pistol or the Stilt. Those are obviously unique nicknames that were used to caricaturize that specific person's game on the court.

Big is such a vague attribute that is commonly used as a means of affection, especially among men/jocks. Big Guy, Big Man, Big Bro, Big Homie, etc.... it's a very common Prefix in our modern lexicon.

I do not think they are truly trying to use and market OO as "Big O". It seems to just be an endearing nickname within the locker room, with very little reference to the original. He has a good game, Okay Big "O", I see you doin your thing, keep it up. Sort of like that. But he has always been called "O"  even back to his Chino Hills days under Lavar. That's just his name no matter how anyone feels about it. It's not forced or created. He has always been "O".

1 tiny detail that I think is being glossed over as well as is that Oscar wasn't known as just Big O, he was "THE" Big O. That was literally attached to his nickname. Oscar Robertson, The Big O. 

The most similar comparison that I think could happen is how when Dwight started being called Superman. Sure, people were like "Um, Shaq?" But otherwise people just let it ride. 

I think as long as nobody says "The" Big O, they will let Big O ride among the team. It's not blasphemous, it's coincidental more than anything. They play different positions, different styles, yeah I don't think its that bad. There's Big-O, and then there's The Big O, no comparison.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

On cue... Huerter illustrating that... 😉 ...

Does anyone remember that possession either late in the third or early 4th in game 7 when Embiid tried backing O down? He pulled the chair a little then defected the ball. Made Embiid pass it back out the post late in the possession for a terrible shot. That, folks, is his upside... 

Edited by gHost83
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I like calling him Double Oh personally at home or at games. 

He is becoming exactly what he was in college: basically a smaller Capela. The big question for me is can he develop an outside shot and more importantly can he hit free throws. 

Of all the nicknames, I think Double Oh is most likely to stick...and with the H! lol Double.....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! 
Double OH17!

Check the timestamp ya'll...lol, we need these guys to know where their nicknames come from!

• Like 2