• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

1 hour ago, aali34 said:

I don't know if that nickname is gonna stick. Any correlation that has to do with black people and primates will go south even if there are positive intentions. 

Viewer discretion for the below.

Hide contents

5bb581652400003200566644.jpeg?ops=scalef

This one was very controversial.

I agree . . . which is why I've resisted calling him that, no matter how fitting the name is.

King Kong

Big O

We can keep trying.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree . . . which is why I've resisted calling him that, no matter how fitting the name is.

King Kong

Big O

We can keep trying.

Not choosing the number 7 was a marketing mistake by his team.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

King Kong

Big O

We can keep trying.

Just call him 'Gwu.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Okongwu's older brother, Nnamdi, had also played basketball for Chino Hills High School. In 2014, Nnamdi suffered a brain injury in a skateboarding accident and died after spending three days on life support. Okongwu had worn the number 21 jersey in honor of his brother, who had worn the same number while playing basketball. Since being drafted to the NBA by the Hawks, he switched to wearing number 17 representing the age of how brother when he passed.  (Nique's 21 is retired)

Thats a touching sentiment. I remember hearing about it during draft time but slipped my mind.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

@Gray Mule was the first I saw posting 0017, me.

I suppose I'm just too persnickety but when I think of James Bond references, I think sniper, and when I think sniper, I think of a player like BogBog.

Hate that there's the perceived connotation with Kong, because just as an inherent quality, you love your center to have a threatening nickname, and one that implies the guy is large and in-charge. Suppose out of courtesy we'll have to abide by social convention/perception and just pass it by, though, waiting instead for some big white kid with the last name "King," right?

Gwu is gibberish, but sometimes the best nicknames are that.

Double-O is a candidate.

Big Oak might be another one.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Yall see what @Spud2nique did to me...he ain’t right.

You are a good man to stand up and take it.  Were you the one who gave him the Lukatar?  Can’t remember if that was you or wretch, etc. but I’m willing to bet he has been ready to inflict similar pain on someone else.  I’m resigned to the fact that I’ll be wearing something like that at some point.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, warcore said:

I don't think it's fair to compare Gwu to Shellhead... I think they're very different just coming out of college. 

Shellhead was a 4 year senior if I recall correctly, with those short ass arms and no athleticism. Duke's strong recruiting classes year after year made him look better than he was. When I read reports that we gave him the promised, I decided I wasn't even gonna watch the draft. That's the only draft I've not watched. I hated that pick so much. Way more than Marvin. 

GWU on the other hand -- young, athletic, oozing with defensive potential. Has length. I was fine with that pick. He's got room to grow. 

My .02

Yeah, everybody was like wtf when we heard about the promise we gave Shelden. I was in denial, like Billy can't be this damn stupid, especially after passing on Chris Paul the year prior.....but little did I know smh

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Yeah I think the references to King Kong aren’t in the best taste.  Young Yek is what I call him.  Double-O-Wreckin if I wanna get a little corny lol.

Yall see what @Spud2nique did to me...he ain’t right.

Good sport guy! You look... good! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AHF said:

You are a good man to stand up and take it.  Were you the one who gave him the Lukatar?  Can’t remember if that was you or wretch, etc. but I’m willing to bet he has been ready to inflict similar pain on someone else.  I’m resigned to the fact that I’ll be wearing something like that at some point.  

Nah that wasn’t me.

15 hours ago, aali34 said:

I don't know if that nickname is gonna stick. Any correlation that has to do with black people and primates will go south even if there are positive intentions. 

Viewer discretion for the below.

Reveal hidden contents

5bb581652400003200566644.jpeg?ops=scalef

This one was very controversial.

Probably the reason you don’t hear someone refer to a gorilla dunk anymore either.  Back to the drawing board..  

Not to put Oscar down, but Big O sounds like an orgasm reference.  Don’t like that one either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Cwell said:

Yeah, everybody was like wtf when we heard about the promise we gave Shelden. I was in denial, like Billy can't be this damn stupid, especially after passing on Chris Paul the year prior.....but little did I know smh

Oh my goodness. I must have traumatic memory loss. I forgot all about the Sheldon era.