• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Okongwu?

gsuteke

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AHF said:

Gwu or OO are fine for me.  Big O is sacrilege within the pantheon of NBA greats.  Nobody should be called Wilt the Stilt even if their name is Wilt.  Nobody should be called Pistol Pete even if their name is Peter.  Nobody should be called the Human Highlight Film even if they dunk the ball with impressive force and style.  There are a handful of nicknames that are just not meant to be handed off and Big O is one of them.

I will never call him Big O. That's just never going to happen. It is disrespectful. Same with Will the Thrill if some other baseball player was good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I will never call him Big O. That's just never going to happen. It is disrespectful. Same with Will the Thrill if some other baseball player was good.

I agree. (On my own not because Sturt has kidnapped me and making me do it). :mellow:

• Haha 3

On 6/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, Sothron said:

I like calling him Double Oh personally at home or at games. 

He is becoming exactly what he was in college: basically a smaller Capela. The big question for me is can he develop an outside shot and more importantly can he hit free throws. 

That's what I keep thinking.  A lot of power forwards/centers over the years  learned to become great shooters like Barkley, Horford, Karl Malone, Horace Grant,  and even Koncack even deveoped a nice shoot.  Horace could not really shoot once he came out of college but became a great shooter.  That's how guys really elevate to stars and it also helps them later in their career when they can't be as physical.  Collins has improved his shooting a lot but I think if he wants max money he needs to get a dead-eye mid-range shot and improve his 3 pt shooting.  Schlenk really has really done great with his picks; obviously Trae, then Huerter, Okongwu, Hunter, and Cam. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aali34 said:

I’be been saying it all year and throughout the last draft. Okongwu has “natural” strength like very few I’ve seen. 

He’s a rich man’s Carl Landry. That dude had strength but Gwu has a ton of it too. Undersized as far as height but the heart 💜 and hustle is off the charts on him. He’s a keeper. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’be been saying it all year and throughout the last draft. Okongwu has “natural” strength like very few I’ve seen. 

He’s a rich man’s Carl Landry. That dude had strength but Gwu has a ton of it too. Undersized as far as height but the heart 💜 and hustle is off the charts on him. He’s a keeper. 

He's undersized for a center but not for a PF. Carl was undersized for a PF 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 6/22/2021 at 3:18 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

I don't think the use of Big O is the same as calling someone Pistol or the Stilt. Those are obviously unique nicknames that were used to caricaturize that specific person's game on the court.

Big is such a vague attribute that is commonly used as a means of affection, especially among men/jocks. Big Guy, Big Man, Big Bro, Big Homie, etc.... it's a very common Prefix in our modern lexicon.

I do not think they are truly trying to use and market OO as "Big O". It seems to just be an endearing nickname within the locker room, with very little reference to the original. He has a good game, Okay Big "O", I see you doin your thing, keep it up. Sort of like that. But he has always been called "O"  even back to his Chino Hills days under Lavar. That's just his name no matter how anyone feels about it. It's not forced or created. He has always been "O".

1 tiny detail that I think is being glossed over as well as is that Oscar wasn't known as just Big O, he was "THE" Big O. That was literally attached to his nickname. Oscar Robertson, The Big O. 

The most similar comparison that I think could happen is how when Dwight started being called Superman. Sure, people were like "Um, Shaq?" But otherwise people just let it ride. 

I think as long as nobody says "The" Big O, they will let Big O ride among the team. It's not blasphemous, it's coincidental more than anything. They play different positions, different styles, yeah I don't think its that bad. There's Big-O, and then there's The Big O, no comparison.

Can you tell me a nice list of the other NBA studs who have been nicknamed something like the "Big L" or the "Big S" or something so I can see just how generic and unconnected to Oscar this is?  I can't really think of any.  This seems to me like it is in play because Oscar made that name such a big deal and it is being used for OO because it is familiar to hear "Big O."  Like when Westbrook was coming to break Oscar's record it was Big O and not The Big O.   Everyone knows Big O because Oscar made it a legendary nickname in the NBA.

• Premium Member
On 6/22/2021 at 1:25 PM, benhillboy said:

I think I’m gonna fall in line with @aali34 and call him “The Woo/ Wu.”  He kinda favors Inspectah Deck actually.  Inspectah Yek?

WU is what I call him

He’s gonna be a monster. I don’t watch college hoops much so I don’t really know the players, but when looking up the top prospects last year, I thought his game would fit the best. Great to see its working out for us

Edited by Cwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1