• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any observable differences with McMillan?

Wurider05

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, High5 said:

It's not uncommon for a team to play with a renewed spirit and focus after a coaching change. And we've had about the softest schedule imaginable to capitalize on that. I do think Nate is a better option than LP for the simple fact that the players seem to respect him more, but I'm not quite sold on the strategic difference yet. 

I hear  you on that.   But the mental is more than half the battle anyway.   We know Nate is competent so all good with me. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, High5 said:

It's not uncommon for a team to play with a renewed spirit and focus after a coaching change. And we've had about the softest schedule imaginable to capitalize on that. I do think Nate is a better option than LP for the simple fact that the players seem to respect him more, but I'm not quite sold on the strategic difference yet. 

We'll definitely have a better sense of things after the 8 game west trip.  Like our defense under Nate is giving up 108 points per game to teams with 15+ wins and 100 points per game to teams with fewer than 15 wins.  Similar gap in the 4th quarter in those games giving up 7 points more against the competitive teams than to the bottom dwellers.  

Where I do have improved confidence for the rest of the season is in Nate's historical track record and the value that his experience and steady hand can bring to our very young roster.

21 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I've mentioned we are running less PnR, but this is 'interesting'

Yep.  

Since March 1:  9th in 3pt FGA / 3rd in 3pt FGM

Prior to March 1:  18th in 3pt FGA / 17th in 3pt FGM

They are taking - and makiing - 2.5 more 3pt shots per game under Nate.  As long as the making continues, they good.  

Another area where there seems to be a HUGE difference is PACE.  They now rank 29th in the NBA in PACE since March 1.  Under LP, they were middle of the back but still around 100 Poss / gm.  Now they are barely at 94 poss / gm.  That has helped immensely with defense.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

More like the wrong people are taking too many threes and they are generally contested.

In terms of who's shooting and how much, the biggest differences between LP and Nate and really seen with 3 players. 

Under Nate:

1. Gallo taking 3 more 3pt shots per game and hitting 2 of those per game
  2. Cam is NOT taking nearly 5 shots per game at 26%
  3. Bogie taking 2 fewer 3pt shots per game, but also making 1.5 fewer 

Everyone else is within 1 shot attempt and 1 make of what they were doing under LP.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, macdaddy said:

We've had two mid game collapses and one was against the G-league Rockets.   So that's not going to fly against even the middling teams. 

I don't disagree, but keep in mind NBA basketball is a game of runs. Even good teams see big leads diminish within the course of a game, the difference between good teams and bad teams is bad teams lose those games and good teams answer with a run of their own. 

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

In terms of who's shooting and how much, the biggest differences between LP and Nate and really seen with 3 players. 

Under Nate:

Everyone else is within 1 shot attempt and 1 make of what they were doing under LP.   

Cam was playing an all around game under Nate. Under LP, he was trying to be this 3 and D guy which he hasn't quite developed into yet. At least the 3 part.

• Like 1

Regardless of who the coach happens to be, if the shots are falling, Hawks are hard to beat.  If we can't get our shots to fall, we're in trouble.

Today's Hawk players seem to have a different attitude and that makes a big difference.  I believe we can win, therefor we win.  I believe we will lose, therefore we lose.  The biggest difference I see is when the team takes the floor after a time out.

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators

The last 7 games have been against hobbled opponents for sure.   But i think it's going to be hard soon to make the case that there is someone out there who is obviously better than Nate for this club and it seems like the players want him.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think Nate will be judged on his performance across the whole season.  Right now, he's 7-0 as head coach... he can go 2-6 in this road trip and he's still 9-6 overall against a nice spread of opponents.  9-6 is 48-24 pace... so I don't think Nate has anything to worry about as long as he has the locker room and the guys continue to develop.

• Like 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The next 8 games may be the determining factor on whether Nate gets this job full time.  8 games in 16 days against quality opponents.  West coast trip to boot.  

If he knocks it out of the park, I could see them pulling things forward.  If he does something more normal (like a 4-4 or 3-5 performance or something unexceptional) I don't think it will really hurt him.  Even a 2-6 run would leave plenty of time the rest of the year for him to make up the damage.

We'll looked like a truly elite team against the weak competition so far.  So for me it is less about whether he gets the full time job as I think the full year and playoff (hopefully) results will play into that and more of a second data point for how this team does against tougher competition.  He'll have 18 games on his resume as the lead for the Hawks after that run and he will pretty much surely have a winning record (a 1-7 performance would put him at 10-8 overall record as the interim/fill-in head coach).  What we should have is a better idea of whether he truly elevates this team up two tiers or if the team is merely better than before.  If he goes 6-2 or something we'd suddenly be sitting 15-3 under Nate with a bunch of quality wins and we'd be raising the bar for this team.  If he goes 3-5 and we are now 12-6 that would still be a great start but the hits from good teams could suggest we aren't ready to dream of contender status just yet.

• Like 1

I still count his wins over Boston and Denver. To me he is 9-1 as a head coach. If you say he was just running LP's system during the 3 games he was out, then you have to remove the 2 wins before All star break too as he hadnt had a chance to do anything different yet either.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I still count his wins over Boston and Denver. To me he is 9-1 as a head coach. If you say he was just running LP's system during the 3 games he was out, then you have to remove the 2 wins before All star break too as he hadnt had a chance to do anything different yet either.

I agree.  The tweaks he has made to schemes is useful but it is more about engagement from the players and things like use of timeouts, adjustments to rotations, etc.  

I count those games.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2021 at 8:33 AM, REHawksFan said:

Under Nate:

Cam has barely played under Nate. Sample size is way too small. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Agree.  He only had the 3 games where Nate was the fill-in coach during LP's quarantine.  He did shoot 5 and 4 3PTA during two of those games so definitely not enough to draw big conclusions.  He shot 27% over those 3 games.  We'll only really get a feel for whether things change with Nate once he is healthy again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree.  He only had the 3 games where Nate was the fill-in coach during LP's quarantine.  He did shoot 5 and 4 3PTA during two of those games so definitely not enough to draw big conclusions.  He shot 27% over those 3 games.  We'll only really get a feel for whether things change with Nate once he is healthy again.

FWIW my numbers above were only since Nate took over as interim so they didn't consider the 3 games he coaches when LP would out.  My point in mentioning Cam was simply for clarity as I was citing the differences between 3pt attempts when LP was coach and when Nate was coach.  It was in response to Supes saying that the biggest difference is in who is taking the 3's and whether they are contested. 

My quick look at the 3pt FGA prior to March 1 and since March 1 showed everyone was basically the same except for the 3 I mentioned.  Cam was because of injury obviously.  We'll see if his attempts change at when he comes back.    

And now that I typed all that out, it occurs to me I should have also included Hunter since he's been out as well.  Oh well, I agree the sample size is small with Nate.  I just found it interesting that the Hawks are taking MORE 3's under Nate and also making more.  The culprit for that is, in large part, Gallo increasing while Bogie had decreased until last night.    

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

FWIW my numbers above were only since Nate took over as interim so they didn't consider the 3 games he coaches when LP would out.  My point in mentioning Cam was simply for clarity as I was citing the differences between 3pt attempts when LP was coach and when Nate was coach.  It was in response to Supes saying that the biggest difference is in who is taking the 3's and whether they are contested. 

My quick look at the 3pt FGA prior to March 1 and since March 1 showed everyone was basically the same except for the 3 I mentioned.  Cam was because of injury obviously.  We'll see if his attempts change at when he comes back.    

And now that I typed all that out, it occurs to me I should have also included Hunter since he's been out as well.  Oh well, I agree the sample size is small with Nate.  I just found it interesting that the Hawks are taking MORE 3's under Nate and also making more.  The culprit for that is, in large part, Gallo increasing while Bogie had decreased until last night.    

Cam hasn't played a game for Nate since Nate took over as interim coach.

image.png

• Thanks 1