I’m gonna miss Clint and the Euros (Gallo and Bogi)

Spud2nique

I love our team. I still can’t believe it’s over. Great ride indeed. This team was one of the most special in Atlanta Hawks history for all of us. Having said that, our ultimate goal has always been to remain flexible as we are a young team looking to the future. (The present is and has been awesome though thus far).

Too early for me to think about too many transactions. 

I will say that in order for us to keep our young prizes in Young, Huerter, Collins, Okongwu, Hunter and Reddish, that a few of the older vets must be dealt sooner or later.

The goners:

Gallo- 2 years left on deal making 20.5 next year and 21.5 mill in 2022-2023. He will still be coveted around the league as he still provides punch for vet teams trying to make moves.

Bogi- 2 years left at 18 mill a year and a third player option in 2023-2024 at 18 mill as well. I love this cat but if we can swing him we need to think about doing so, I’d really hate to lose him but it might be the smart play for the future in remaining flexible.

Capela- Tricky one here, on many nights he was the reason we would win from rebounds as he was the rebounding king to much needed blocks and defense. We may have to sell while he’s hot. 2 years left on his desk at 19 mill next year and 20 mill in 2022-2023.

Taking one step back to take a giant leap forward. 

Thoughts?

Don’t hold back. I’m a big boy, ok smedium. :indifferent:

I know people here will crap on this but Cousins can be had for 1/4 of what we're paying Gallo. From a salary point of view, Boogie for 25 minutes a game backing up up Capella/Collins or as an emergency starter and playing next to OO would have been really nice against those big centers that gave us trouble. He's a ring chaser and we look a lot better today than we did 4 months ago.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Wow, just lobbing   💣  💣  blowing everything up. 😆.  Love it.

When we signed all these FAs last year I said we have a 2 year window to play with the finances before Hunter and Reddish become extension eligible that has  NOT changed. 

My pie in the sky scenarios were:

Gallo moved this offseason or at the trade deadline to make keeping Collins easier (avoid Tax), Huerter shows enough so we can trade Bogi at the end of next season when his contract kicks in, OO makes Cap expendable and by the time Hunter and Reddish are due extensions the cap has increased significantly.

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I love our team. I still can’t believe it’s over. Great ride indeed. This team was one of the most special in Atlanta Hawks history for all of us. Having said that, our ultimate goal has always been to remain flexible as we are a young team looking to the future. (The present is and has been awesome though thus far).

I will say that in order for us to keep our young prizes in Young, Huerter, Collins, Okongwu, Hunter and Reddish, that a few of the older vets must be dealt sooner or later.

The goners:

Gallo- 2 years left on deal making 20.5 next year and 21.5 mill in 2022-2023. He will still be coveted around the league as he still provides punch for vet teams trying to make moves.

Bogi- 2 years left at 18 mill a year and a third player option in 2023-2024 at 18 mill as well. I love this cat but if we can swing him we need to think about doing so, I’d really hate to lose him but it might be the smart play for the future in remaining flexible.

Capela- Tricky one here, on many nights he was the reason we would win from rebounds as he was the rebounding king to much needed blocks and defense. We may have to sell while he’s hot. 2 years left on his desk at 19 mill next year and 20 mill in 2022-2023.

Thoughts?

Ooh man, this is a conundr... a connondr ... a problem but one-a those 'rich people problems'.  Certainly better than having a core where you're like, "ah man, I'mma get fired for dratin' these turds."

I don't want to see any of them go.  Each brings a dynamic that's needed here.  Capela's fine but we need to improve the 'big man room'**.

** In football, people talk about improving the 'QB room' by bringing in better depth.  I'm stealing that concept and applying it to basketball.

Capela's cheap enough and good enough to be a great part of a big man rotation.  We just saw that his girth, or lack thereof, can be problematic when he's the sole show there.  Good news is OO's comin'.  Having another vet big body would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I know people here will crap on this but Cousins can be had for 1/4 of what we're paying Gallo. From a salary point of view, Boogie for 25 minutes a game backing up up Capella/Collins or as an emergency starter and playing next to OO would have been really nice against those big centers that gave us trouble. He's a ring chaser and we look a lot better today than we did 4 months ago.

How about Whinesides or Drummmmn'd?  Each could be helpful in the right role and mindset.

You're not wrong about Cousins although I wonder about his attitude moreso than the others I mentioned.

** Disclaimer: I don't like any of these players.  I simply think, if they were on the roster during this run, they could've helped us as long as they were bought into their role.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

How about Whinesides or Drummmmn'd?  Each could be helpful in the right role and mindset.

You're not wrong about Cousins although I wonder about his attitude moreso than the others I mentioned.

** Disclaimer: I don't like any of these players.  I simply think, if they were on the roster during this run, they could've helped us as long as they were bought into their role.

If I had to had to had to pick any of these guys, I'd go in order: Cousins, Drummond and Whiteside.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If I had to had to had to pick any of these guys, I'd go in order: Cousins, Drummond and Whiteside.

So ... I hate Dwhine Coward.  I repeat, I hate Dwhine Coward.  But .............................. (long pause).... he might could help us.

Gah, now I gotta go take a shower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So you only bring Drummond if you're looking to replace Clint. Drummond is a big scary body with way better interior offense. So if you're looking for a way to take the ball out of Trae's hand 10 plays a game, Drummond is a very good option. It would keep teams from double team cheating. The problem with Drummond is the price tag it takes to sign him.

IMHO Capela has the Josh Smith effect defensively. Amazing weak side, intimidation but 1v1 defense he can be lost (as shown by Embiid). He does have timing issues when protecting against the drive and can be beat by good ball handlers. His impact as a shot blocker is as a shot blocker and not as an intimidator.

I'm perfectly happy to keep Clint but would like a big body to fill in while he's out. What we asked of OO was a bit too much this off season. Honestly we should have lost to Philly. Anyone crapping on Ben Simmons doesn't know basketball. It was a terrible stretch for him mentally and I'd take him on my squad in a heart beat.

If I had to choose and based on the salaries, I'd take Cousins, Drummond, then Whiteside but all of them as a high usage backup is a great choice except for their desires to start.  Cousins' injury history and history of whining is the only reasons he isn't making more than Clint right now. It isn't ability.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

I agree with a big body.   Capela had a hard time finishing inside unless it was a lob.   OO will be his replacement in time.   This guy is going to be pretty good.   He has some outside touch too.   

Hawks need another playmaker.   I think Bogi is a core piece for the next few years.   He played so freaking good down the stretch

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

So ... I hate Dwhine Coward.  I repeat, I hate Dwhine Coward.  But .............................. (long pause).... he might could help us.

Gah, now I gotta go take a shower.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, LOL. Dwight just got dominated by OO in our series. And he's a headcase that I don't want anywhere near our still impressionable young guys. 

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

Here: If you don't have time to watch this. Go to the 3:20 mark and watch.  I recommend watching the whole video. Flash isn't always great defense. Its hard to match pure size, strength and length.

This video is from the 2018-19 season. Boogie isn't even *that* guy any more. I'm not opposed to him coming in as a backup, but I highly doubt he'd take a 3rd center spot. So unless we move Capela or Big O, then he probably doesn't fit. 

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The goners:

Thoughts?

If we're not trading for an All-Star caliber player, we may as well keep them in the mix for another year or two.  All of the kids aren't ready for primetime yet, so another year playing secondary roles isn't bad for them.  Hunter is the closest to being ready to make that jump to being a significant impact player.  Cam, once again, has shown flashes of what he can be, but I still put Huerter slightly ahead of him, until proven otherwise.

If all if the kids develop nicely, Bogi, Gallo and Clint will eventually be used as key trade pieces to get draft picks, or we may let them walk to lessen the payroll.

No small smashes this offseason.  Either use our young and vet assets to get a major piece, or run it back with this same group.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

All of the kids aren't ready for primetime yet,

Good point as much as I want them to be, can’t rush the process, Schlenk said no skipping steps good call.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The goners:

Thoughts?

Clint and the Euros? Clint is a Euro, born and raised in Switzerland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Not buying the premise. At all.

This team is going to go baws to the walls in 2021-22, and there is no primary piece of the rotation that's going to be lopped off until next off-season at the very earliest.

Would we even be talking like this at all if Trae hadn't stepped on a ref's foot?

Probably not. Probably would just be chattering right now about our first NBA Finals appearance, and how Capela, BogBog, and Gallo et al are going to play key parts in supernova-ing the suns into a black hole.

Nonsense.

Would we even be talking like this at all if Dre didn't go down?

Probably not. Probably would be laughing at all the naysayers who thought we couldn't get past MIL and were just a fluke.

Believe. Still.

This team is NBA Finals quality, and with another year under the young-uns' belt, so much the more.

• Like 3