• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Everybody, Please, Like Kris

lethalweapon3

On 7/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, RandomFan said:

I'm all for Dunn returning. Nate being a defensive minded PG as a player can only help Dunn with some development and appreciation, of be can be healthy. 

We're not going to get a better player for $5m most likely. 

Not going to get a better player for 5 million? I disagree, and I'm going to revisit this later. 

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Not going to get a better player for 5 million? I disagree, and I'm going to revisit this later. 

OK, good for you. You're still not gonna get a better player for $5M than one of the 3 or 4 best on ball PG defenders in the league. Not until mid-season when buyout former stars start taking vet min deals to chase rings.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

OK, good for you. You're still not gonna get a better player for $5M than one of the 3 or 4 best on ball PG defenders in the league. Not until mid-season when buyout former stars start taking vet min deals to chase rings.

Are you sure he's still one of the top on ball defenders after last season? 

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

2021-07-27_14-51-49.png

He doesn't need to do half of that to be worth $5M easily.  The risk is that a repeat of last season isn't worth holding the roster spot for him let alone $5M.  Seems a reasonable risk on both sides given his potential upside and downside.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Dunn was coming off two surgeries in limited minutes last season. No one can reasonably judge how he played from that. I like him coming back on what is now a 100% "show me" deal. Dunn has all the incentives to play his damn ass off all season on both ends of the court to find a multi year deal from someone. Maybe us, maybe not. But we will have him playing at his best. That's only a positive for us.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

1. We are now at a point in our evolution that we do have to begin justifying every $5m we spend, and assessing whether it could be better spent either on a single player or as part of the compensation for a better player who we might acquire.

2. As a consequence, and having been among the very few (or maybe even "single person") to put together a salary projection for the 21-22 roster, I'm an advocate for spending virtually all of our payroll on the first 10 players, and as little as possible on the third unit (11-15). For most of those, we should be paying the minimum. At most, we should be paying, maybe, $3m.

3. There is no place for Dunn in the first 10 roster slots by most informed fans' assessment.

4. Kirschner tweeted in the last hour that there's reason to believe Dunn will be moved on or before draft day.

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If they trade Dunn to move up in the draft or for another player that's fine as well. My points about him still stand. He's not an idiot. He knows he has to play great this season to get one last big deal from someone.

I’d be down to flip #20 and Dunn to move up to #16 or #17 OkC or the Pels to get up to grab Trey Murphy III.

#Trae2Trey

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Hm. Looking through the possibilities. We'd either have to trade him to (1) a team with cap room; (2) a team with a trade exception; (3) a team that would actually want him more than a comparably-paid player who we would want more than Dunn; or (4) as part of a bigger package.

I don't think (4) is happening before draft day. I'm in the camp that thinks a consolidation trade is more likely to happen near the trade deadline, after we've had a chance to see Hunter's health and Cam's development a bit more.

I don't think (3) applies--our biggest need is backup PG. If there were a better PG out there who made about the same as Dunn, why would the other team want to give him up for Dunn, unless the teams have dramatically different assessment of the players' respective value?

For (2)...if I'm not mistaken, the only team with a trade exception big enough to absorb Dunn is the Thunder. Dunn would actually make a lot of sense there...the Thunder don't actually have a true PG on the roster right now, and I think Dunn would pair nicely as a backup and occasional mate to SGA.

For (1), there are several teams projected to have cap room that might make sense as destinations for Dunn. I'd rank them:

1. OKC (see above)
  2. Toronto (takes the pressure off them to bring back Lowry)
  3. Dallas (he'd be an intriguing-but-risky fit with Luka)
  4. San Antonio (Dunn seems like a player Pop would do well with, but he might prefer to stick with Patty Mills as Murray's vet backup)
  5. Charlotte (similar to Dallas, he'd be an interesting pair with LaMelo, but they might prefer to bring back Graham)
  6. Miami (defense is not their area of need)
  7. Memphis (they're set at PG)
  8. New York (they make sense on paper, but Thibs ruined Dunn's rookie year)

I should give the disclaimer that I always suck at predicting how roster moves will shake out, tho.

I like Dunn if we want to keep him or trade him. I think he will improve and help us next year after we paid him to rehab all season. But I understand the need to establish a long term solution at BU PG.

Solo said we were missing a dog in our main rotation. Dunn is a dog. If he could play his way on the 2nd unit, then he is worth keeping. If he will only ever be number 3, then you do have to make better use of the money and roster spot.

Business is business.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RandomFan said:

It shouldn't be shocking that an out of shape player coming off a long injury recovery to a leg didn't look like the same player he was before. 

So we are red shirting guys now? It was a bad signing, it happens. 

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’d be down to flip #20 and Dunn to move up to #16 or #17 OkC or the Pels to get up to grab Trey Murphy III.

#Trae2Trey

No one giving up value for Dunn. 

What I think / believe doesn't really matter.  That being said:

1- Dunn is much better / worth more than his $$$ contract.

2- Dunn is not valued as much as his current $$$ contract by other NBA teams.

I think that, if Atlanta gets the true value of Dunn and his contract, he must be kept here until close to the trading deadline at mid season.  If they do this, everyone will then have a great idea what his true worth is.

If he is still a Hawk after the draft then perhaps he stays a while.  He is one of those borderline players that may stay or go.  He's not the only one on our roster.  Changes will come.  Drafted player, if we stay in the draft, will take someone's spot.  Borderline players will get shuffled.  Count on this.

:sun:

15 hours ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

1. We are now at a point in our evolution that we do have to begin justifying every $5m we spend, and assessing whether it could be better spent either on a single player or as part of the compensation for a better player who we might acquire.

2. As a consequence, and having been among the very few (or maybe even "single person") to put together a salary projection for the 21-22 roster, I'm an advocate for spending virtually all of our payroll on the first 10 players, and as little as possible on the third unit (11-15). For most of those, we should be paying the minimum. At most, we should be paying, maybe, $3m.

3. There is no place for Dunn in the first 10 roster slots by most informed fans' assessment.

4. Kirschner tweeted in the last hour that there's reason to believe Dunn will be moved on or before draft day.

See bolded.  I believe this as much or more than the most everything I've read today. No insider knowledge, just gut.

• Like 1