• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is This Sexist??

Diesel

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'll touch this but from a different perspective. I hate, absolute hate the double standard. These sideline reporters, hires are promoted by the team not only on their talent but their looks.  They almost always hire lookers, encourage them to dress in ways that wouldn't be okay for men to dress, post photos of them, promote them based on their looks (from photo shoots to not hiding them behind a table. Then they tell people to respect them as professionals. You didn't!  Start letting these ladies show their talents before you shine them all up and parade them out.  I'm disappointed by the double standard in the league.

In the last few years though, I've seen a titanic shift in competence from sideline reporters, professionalism and show prep from the female reporters/anchors. and this gives me an opportunity to cheer on the Hawks once again.  Renee Montgomery is better at basketball, smarter about basketball, better prepared as an analyst than 99% of her male counterparts. We've honestly struck gold keeping her in the Atlanta family.  It doesn't hurt she's a looker but I don't even find myself paying attention to that when she's talking. She's brilliant.

Your post is great... really great.  As I was reading the beginning of it... I started to wonder... would we still watch if the sideline reporter looked like RoseAnn Barr?   I mean, I really have to check myself there... I am sexist.  I don't think I would turn the game off but I would definitely leave the room or find other s--- to do.  If the sideline reporter looked like Roseann Barr and had the best takes in the world...  Would we hear them?

29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I keep reading this thread as sexiest and expect to see a pic of me and Deke in it somewhere. :justkidding:

You, Me, and Deke....  No, No, No!!!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Your post is great... really great.  As I was reading the beginning of it... I started to wonder... would we still watch if the sideline reporter looked like RoseAnn Barr?   I mean, I really have to check myself there... I am sexist.  I don't think I would turn the game off but I would definitely leave the room or find other s--- to do.  If the sideline reporter looked like Roseann Barr and had the best takes in the world...  Would we hear them?

You, Me, and Deke....  No, No, No!!!

image.gif.9f2d66edbfc4e98325f358d26b05e3f9.gif

11 hours ago, AHF said:

The main line of sexism I see in sports reporting is that a man can be a non-athlete and ugly and even have bad takes and still get a job.  Women almost uniformly need to be beautiful.  

Are you saying Skip Bayless ain't beautiful? 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I heard someone on here say they don't like Renee Montgomery on the Hawks cast.  But whether or not you think she has good takes you have to say that she breathed new life into a broadcast that was comfortable and stale. Don't get me wrong I love Stinger, Jerome, Bob, Nique but they are 4, 60 year old men and they needed something to shake it up.  

As for the question at hand I don't know.   Hopefully some women will weigh in on the subject.   To me all women are attractive.  The telling part is that for the most part women aren't still in broadcasting when they are over 40 or 50 whereas pervy Marv Albert slaps on a wig and slow calls games in his 80s.   So it's not equal.

You'd be surprised.

Hannah Storm is 59

Hannah Storm - ESPN Press Room U.S.

Doris Burke is 55

AWSM

Jemele Hill is 45 - Cari Champion is 46

Jemele Hill and Cari Champion Are Holding the Door Open for Women of Color  in Sports Broadcasting — Create + Cultivate

Rachel Nichols is 47

NBA reporter Rachel Nichols returns to ESPN amid Maria Taylor furor

Sage Steele is 48

Interview Series "Up Close with Sage Steele" Coming to ESPN+ -  LaughingPlace.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

If Renee Montgomery had anything resembling breasts she would shoot up on the hotness meter. 

Uh ... there is a "line."  I would prefer we not cross it on this thread.

Thanks. .

3 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

If Renee Montgomery had anything resembling breasts she would shoot up on the hotness meter. 

I really want to make a sexist remark here but I'll pass.

:brokenheart:

• Haha 3

• Moderators
On 7/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Diesel said:

I don't know why you wouldn't listen to them.  If Chris Berman was the sideline reporter bringing great takes during those short segments, I'd definitely be watching that.  Why wouldn't I listen if it was Teresa Edwards or something?

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't know why you wouldn't listen to them.  If Chris Berman was the sideline reporter bringing great takes during those short segments, I'd definitely be watching that.  Why wouldn't I listen if it was Teresa Edwards or something?

That's a good point.  Being totally honest.. I think it's just the conditioning that a "beautiful woman" can't know sports as well as a man.  I know that this is not true... but somehow, I have been conditioned to think otherwise subconsciously.   Like if you were to put 10 takes on paper.  10 great takes... and then put the picture of the  10 people; men and beautiful women who made the takes on the side.  My thinking is that most men would think that the takes that fit more closely with what they believe would have been takes that came from men.   Just a quick psyche experiment to start your day. 

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Just a quick psyche experiment to start your day. 

I’d love to conduct the experiment. We will need 10 combined hot men and women. Kg will take the men and instruct them on what they need to do and I’ll take the women and do the same. :yesyesyes:

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

That's a good point.  Being totally honest.. I think it's just the conditioning that a "beautiful woman" can't know sports as well as a man.  I know that this is not true... but somehow, I have been conditioned to think otherwise subconsciously.   Like if you were to put 10 takes on paper.  10 great takes... and then put the picture of the  10 people; men and beautiful women who made the takes on the side.  My thinking is that most men would think that the takes that fit more closely with what they believe would have been takes that came from men.   Just a quick psyche experiment to start your day. 

Looping back to the original post, I think that would be a textbook definition of sexism.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Looping back to the original post, I think that would be a textbook definition of sexism.

Yeah... that's the struggle and the reason why most people deny being sexist.   It's just that simple. 

Unfortunately, because we relate to what looks like us better than what doesn't look like us, it makes for a lot of toes being smashed.  The problem becomes when you "weaponize" those prejudices.