• Can Thomas
    • Tre Mann
    • Keon Johnson
    • Zaire Williams
    • Alperen Sengun
    • Trey Murphy
    • Joshua Primo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/29/2021 at 11:30 PM

6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Not really a question. You sign a PG and a big in free agency, then draft BPA, as is Schlenk's philosophy. 

We could draft anything.

Except the draft is first, correct?

1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

Except the draft is first, correct?

Yes, but irrelevant. If you know your plan is to address both in free agency once it starts, then you draft as you normally would, correct? Schlenk has always said that his plan is to always address needs in free agency so he doesn't have to use a draft pick to fill a need. Relying on rookies to play during a rebuild is fine, but that is the last thing you want to do during a championship window. 

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yes, but irrelevant. If you know your plan is to address both in free agency once it starts, then you draft as you normally would, correct? Schlenk has always said that his plan is to always address needs in free agency so he doesn't have to use a draft pick to fill a need. Relying on rookies to play during a rebuild is fine, but that is the last thing you want to do during a championship window. 

Pretty much, yes.  You can draft BPA knowing your plan is to address PG and C (back-ups) in FA.  A little risky that way, but plenty from which to choose.

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

In this case, I think you look at players like Trey Murphy, Keon Johnson, and Zaire Williams and see what they could be, not necessarily what they are now.  In all three cases, what they could be fits what the Hawks have targeted in the past.  

Totally. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of these guys were gone by 20, too. 

So if we traded up to grab one TS really believes in, cool. 

If there are a number of guys still available when we're coming up to 20 and TS wants to trade down, cool.

Good guy falls in our lap and we stay at 20, cool. 

There seems to be a lot of decent to really good options this year. Feels good walking in with a good squad in place and not needing to draft the perfect messiah to save our season. 

Feels weird. I'm really not sure what to do myself, honestly. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Assuming we use the pick on anything but PG, watch for the immediate and automatic speculation that the General is preparing to say so-long to a player at that position.

That will apply to either Bogi or Kvon... Dre or Cam... CC or OO... and/but especially so if we draft a PF like Kai Jones.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

Very interesting.  Chris mentions that the name he’s heard the most with the Hawks is Cam Thomas.  

Meh....0 versatility position wise..At 6'4, hed be the shortest SG on the floor most nights..And who is he gonna defend? He doesn't even try on defense from what Ive seen of him..I dont see the fit..He has a nice floater and turnaround jumper, but his release after his stepback is slow as hell. lol......IDK man..He could be a Lou Will replacement I guess, but do we really need a Lou Will replacement? 

Edited by terrell

I’ve finally landed on what I’d like to see - not necessarily what Schlenk will do. 

1st: Kai Jones / Chris Duarte / Ziaire Williams / Jared Butler. In that order. I wouldn’t be upset if we traded up for any of the first 3. Id park Kai / Ziaire in the G league for the year if either of them were our picks. 

2nd: Jason Preston / Neemias Queta / Raiquan Gray. In that order. If we picked Jared Butler, I’d pass on Preston. But man - I love that kids game.

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Meh....0 versatility position wise..At 6'4, hed be the shortest SG on the floor most nights..And who is he gonna defend? He doesn't even try on defense from what Ive seen of him..I dont see the fit..He has a nice floater and turnaround jumper, but his release after his stepback is slow as hell. lol......IDK man..He could be a Lou Will replacement I guess, but do we really need a Lou Will replacement? 

This is one of those evaluations where you have to project improvements in certain areas.  If you watch his game against Tennessee, you see him do a great job of recognizing double teams and making cross court passes out of that double team.  So, the vision is there.  The decision making and desire is not always there.  

Is his lack of defense due to lack of lateral agility or a lack of desire?  I think it's the latter, and I think he can be coached to become a better defender.  

From an offensive standpoint, he can get to anywhere he wants to on the floor and is probably the best guy in this draft at getting to the free throw line.  

This would be similar to the John Collins pick, IMO.  When John came out, he was seen as an interior offense only player who was a bad defender.  He's become much more versatile and a better defender in the NBA.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I just think his size and lack of range will factor against him with certain teams. Having said that I’ve seen him mocked at high as #22. He’s compared to your boy Tyler Ulis a bit. Great floor general but lacking that outside ability. 

I didn’t say anything insane I just think he end up very late 1st round (25-30th) or possible early 2nd round (31-35). It’s not like I said something insane. He gave me a LMAO, literally! Not even with an emoji to rep it, just a simple discourteous LMAO like a a crazy person. 

Supes has talked a lot about Cooper and basically argued he is a mid-first round talent that we would be lucky to have still on the board when we pick.  So the idea that he would be picked within +/-5 picks of #30 is kind of crazy to him.  Don't think he meant it as a shot at you but that him going in the second is well outside even the worst case scenario Supes can imagine.

I think Ulis was ultimately done in by his lack of size and athleticism.  Kid had a great feel for running offense for sure.  Sad he didn't end up as a productive backup PG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Has anyone else noticed he looks like he could be the brother of another Jones, one Damian.. 🏃‍♀️ 

I actually thought they favored one another.  When I read Jones' supposed weaknesses, I cringed because they were also similar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I actually thought they favored one another.  When I read Jones' supposed weaknesses, I cringed because they were also similar.

Ya it’s not even the similar look of the face and body it’s similar attributes as well. This is my guy to avoid. Yes I’m judging a book by its cover. Lol.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Has anyone else noticed he looks like he could be the brother of another Jones, one Damian.. 🏃‍♀️ 

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4917382

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya it’s not even the similar look of the face and body it’s similar attributes as well. This is my guy to avoid. Yes I’m judging a book by its cover. Lol.

Yeah I'm real hard on big men ...

200.webp?cid=ecf05e478nk8c1gbz4k9oy7st48

(I'm not proud but it had to be done.)

... I'm totally out on 'skinny' bigs.  If you can't do big man things like rebound/defend/hold position, I got no use for you.  Because you can't handle enough at the 4 to truly be an offensive threat.  No matter how many jumpshots you can squeeze off against the empty chairs.

And, what's worse, is his comp is Jaxson Hayes.  No thanks.  And I'm just referring to his on-court stuff.

• Haha 2