• Can Thomas
    • Tre Mann
    • Keon Johnson
    • Zaire Williams
    • Alperen Sengun
    • Trey Murphy
    • Joshua Primo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/29/2021 at 11:30 PM

30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I actually thought they favored one another.  When I read Jones' supposed weaknesses, I cringed because they were also similar.

ill be the resident Kai defender. I dont like the Damian Jones comp, but I understand where you are coming from. Kai has a more translatable shot and I’m a believer he has a lot of room to grow given he has only played basketball competitively for 4-5 years. He’s skinny, but he is a more fluid athlete than Damian and will likely end up 6’11 240ish as he develops. He is a PF to me - not a C.  he can defend on the perimeter. The potential pairing with Okongwu is very intriguing to me down the road. 

and honestly jaxon hayes as a comp isn’t a great one to me. But if you told me I could get Jaxon Hayes at 18-20 and he’s not a tool? Sign me up. 

He’s a lottery ticket given what I view as his potential. Low floor mid to high ceiling. Thus I’m parking him in the g league for development purposes. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

ill be the resident Kai defender. I dont like the Damian Jones comp, but I understand where you are coming from. Kai has a more translatable shot and I’m a believer he has a lot of room to grow given he has only played basketball competitively for 4-5 years. He’s skinny, but he is a more fluid athlete than Damian and will likely end up 6’11 240ish as he develops. He is a PF to me - not a C.  he can defend on the perimeter. The potential pairing with Okongwu is very intriguing to me down the road. 

and honestly jaxon hayes as a comp isn’t a great one to me. But if you told me I could get Jaxon Hayes at 18-20 and he’s not a tool? Sign me up. 

He’s a lottery ticket given what I view as his potential. Low floor mid to high ceiling. Thus I’m parking him in the g league for development purposes. 

Thanks for that.  I agree he's probably a 4, not a 5 too.  But, for me, that depresses his value unless he can show he can handle.  A primary limiting factor for Collins is the fact that he can't handle.  It caps his effectiveness mightily.

Also agree he's the proverbial 'lotto ticket' just as Zaire Williams is.  If they hit, they'll be great.  But the likelihood of them hitting is low.  Acceptable as long as you know what you're doing.  Not acceptable if you're counting on contributions in the near term.

For me, the Lamian Jones comp is reflective of the fact that I lean towards these types not hitting.

• Like 2

If it was any other draft I may feel differently. I debated with myself if I’d prefer him or Duarte more. I could be swayed to go that route. It’s more of nobody else in the range we are picking wows me enough to not go after the lotto ticket. Tre Mann I don’t care for. Trey Murphy is a poor mans cam Johnson. A bunch of guys that may be ok to me, but not worth a top 20 pick. Unless someone unexpectedly falls to our range. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, sturt said:

Hollinger's take...

2021-07-28_23-25-43.png

... and Kirschner's...

2021-07-28_23-29-32.png

Might've been good, or still might be (?) if all of these essentially-draft-centric threads were brought together under one.

Or maybe not.

When the first 19 players are drafted, the Atlanta's pick comes up late tonight.  That is, unless we do something unexpected.  Travis has a long list, kinda like Santa, so he knows who's been naughty and who's been nice.  The best player available.  What all the assistant coaches, the head coach and all the members of the scouting crew will have a say.  Ultimately, it will be up to Travis to make the call.

I've heard that the first 8 are pretty well set.  After that, it's a guessing game about who goes where.  Doesn't seem to matter.  That favorite player may go 9th or he may still be there at 20.  We're #20.  In a way, we think, "That's bad."  But, wait.  Of all the players available to be drafted, and there are well over 100, only 19 of those will be gone when we get our chance.

Who do we draft?  Will we stay at 20?  Will we move?  Before midnight we should know!  

:sun:

PS:  Please do not trade Cam!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AHF said:

Supes has talked a lot about Cooper and basically argued he is a mid-first round talent that we would be lucky to have still on the board when we pick.  So the idea that he would be picked within +/-5 picks of #30 is kind of crazy to him. 

Pick #48… 

TO YOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR ATLAAAANNNNTTTTTTTTAAAA HAWWWWKSSSS!!!! 

We did get very lucky. Welcome aboard Coop.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Duke forward Jalen Johnson was one of the prospects Schlenk thought had the possibility of being an option at 20, and he ended up being the Hawks’ first-round pick.

“We had him ranked higher. We felt like there was a chance. We weren’t shocked when he was there but we were certainly happy,” Schlenk said.

Johnson didn’t work out for the Hawks during the pre-draft process; the team did interview him in Chicago for the NBA combine and scouted him throughout high school and the 13 games he played while at Duke. This is the first time the Hawks have selected a prospect who didn’t work out or meet with the team in Atlanta since John Collins.

Basketball-wise, the pick makes sense for the Hawks. They love tall, lengthy forwards, which is what Johnson is at 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot wingspan. What Johnson brings that John Collins and Danilo Gallinari don’t necessarily have at the power forward position is natural passing ability. Johnson has the ability to grab and go off rebounds and create. He should thrive in transition whenever he’s playing with Trae Young, and the Hawks could explore some small ball lineups with Johnson at the four and Collins at the 5 and maximize off-ball movement and playmaking.

“I see him as a combo forward,” Schlenk said. “He’s got the defensive versatility to play a lot of different positions, as you saw this year at Duke. He’s got the ball skills to play on the perimeter but the size and strength to play inside as well. We view him as kind of the modern NBA in playing both inside and outside and (having) defensive versatility.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ya know. I've been assuming that Jalen displaces Nate Knight from that 3rd PF slot.

But maybe he displaces Solo... ???

Very possible, but they do play different roles. Jalen and Solo is more PF/SF where Knight is more PF/C. 

Between Cooper, Mays, and Knight, Nate is probably the most at risk of losing his spot; but it really all boils down to who we are able to add in few agency, along with being able to move Dunn and Bruno.

I do think Solo returns though. He's acting like a guy who was told he's returning. 

If anything I think Jalen replaces Snells spot. Meaning Solo would play more backup SF that PF like last year. 

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Very possible, but they do play different roles. Jalen and Solo is more PF/SF where Knight is more PF/C. 

Between Cooper, Mays, and Knight, Nate is probably the most at risk of losing his spot; but it really all boils down to who we are able to add in few agency, along with being able to move Dunn and Bruno.

I do think Solo returns though. He's acting like a guy who was told he's returning. 

Different roster implications if you can keep Nate on a two-way contract vs Solo who would be on the 15.  Agree every signal from Solo is that he plans on playing here.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

Ya know. I've been assuming that Jalen displaces Nate Knight from that 3rd PF slot.

But maybe he displaces Solo... ???

I suppose it depends on how you want to list Solo's position, but I think he'll be the 5th forward in the rotation. Ahead of both Solo and Knight in pecking order, but behind Hunter, Reddish, Gallo and Collins. Once everyone's healthy Johnson's goal should be to make Gallo expendable as soon as possible and take his minutes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 4:21 AM, NBASupes said:

Where's Sharife Cooper?

He's a Hawk with a 2 way contract.  Atlanta drafted him.  Not @#20, but way down deep in the second round we found him, hid out, waiting for the Hawks to call his name.

No one mentioned Jalen Johnson.  He hadn't worked out for us so the Squawk ignored him.  Yet, if he had played the entire year at Duke, many thought he would easily have been top 5.

It's a steal!  No!  It's two!  I gotta believe both our draft picks was supposed to be 1st round picks and much, much higher than they were.  Only time will tell.  Now, we only dream.

:smug:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2021 at 1:04 AM, Spud2nique said:

Here are my top prospects in order:

1. Trey Murphy III- He passes the eye test for me. Gets after it on both ends and has a sweet stroke from deep. This cat is a perfect fit with Trae, he’s the pick n pop threat. He’s got a nice feel for the game.

2. Jared Butler- Winner and flat out shooter and baller. Combo guard that knows his role and can do a bit of everything and do it really well. I love the defense and the number one attribute is that beautiful stroke. 

3. Chris Duarte- I like his size, hustle, game on both ends, his desire and unselfishness and his upbringing to get here. He’s ready to roll. 

4. Cam Thomas- Flat out can score and his game is built for the NBA. NBA body with craftiness on how to use it. When he gets hot, he gets hot. Oak Hill all time scoring leader. That says a lot. Professional scorer.

5. Jaden Springer- This kid moves his feet on D really well, stays with his man throughout the play. Very centered both offensively and defensively. Plays a slower pace, the slo mo of this draft’s point guards if you will.

6. Tre Mann- 3 level scorer, confidence is high. He’s got a great outside shot and some nice floaters. Tre would groom his game behind Trae.

The order can change with these 6 but these are my 6 guys from this draft. Hopefully we can get one of them.

I left out 2 guys that were close to making the cut.

Usman Garuba- Interesting and love him on D, probably one of the best in the draft, he’s like a Reggie Evans with really good defense and flailing his body around. I hate the fact that he can’t shoot though. 

Alperen Sengun- I like his fundamental post game and he’s got a little passing craftiness. A bit stiff but old school on the block is nice.

I loved Trey Murphy III boy. I saw something in that dude, knew he would be gone before our pick but still. Dude is nice.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:04 AM, Spud2nique said:

Here are my top prospects in order:

1. Trey Murphy III- He passes the eye test for me. Gets after it on both ends and has a sweet stroke from deep. This cat is a perfect fit with Trae, he’s the pick n pop threat. He’s got a nice feel for the game.

:good:

• Like 1