• Can Thomas
    • Tre Mann
    • Keon Johnson
    • Zaire Williams
    • Alperen Sengun
    • Trey Murphy
    • Joshua Primo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/29/2021 at 11:30 PM

CBS mock:

Round 1 - Pick 20

TENNESSEE • FR • 6'4" / 204 LBS

One scout I talked to ranks Jaden Springer ahead of Jalen Suggs in his projections. I wouldn't go that far, but it explains the value that Springer could have at this point in the draft. The Hawks' long-term backup for Trae Young, and Springer is big enough and stout enough defensively that he could even play alongside Young for stretches. Springer's youth (turns 19 in September) makes him even more appealing in this range.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Absolutely not. The guys I put for the choices are all in or around our range with the exception of Murphy who I think would be a steal for any team. Cooper is gonna go late first or early second.

LMAO

I selected Zaire Williams because I've read he may be there for the Hawks pick and to me, he has a ton of upside.  He is a very good defender and I believe his shooting will come around eventually as he puts on more weight and gets stronger.

At this point, I've gone in circles on these prospects and I can't really decide who I want the Hawks to pick.  I've resigned myself to just being happy with whoever they pick. 

Tre Mann is still very high on my personal list of prospects, but I can be talked into any player in this range at this point. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Here are my top prospects in order:

1. Trey Murphy III- He passes the eye test for me. Gets after it on both ends and has a sweet stroke from deep. This cat is a perfect fit with Trae, he’s the pick n pop threat. He’s got a nice feel for the game.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It should be noted that the Hawks may very well have interest in players that they haven't brought in.  I don't remember reading reports that they had worked out John Collins prior to that draft.  Keon Johnson and Cam Thomas are two names who are not on this list that I feel like they will have interest in.  Tre Mann as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it's my lack of deep diving into prospects, our low draft slot, or the depth of this year's class, but I feel pretty good about at least 8 or so guys the Hawks could end up drafting. 

I think TS would have to work pretty hard to disappoint me this year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I don't know if it's my lack of deep diving into prospects, our low draft slot, or the depth of this year's class, but I feel pretty good about at least 8 or so guys the Hawks could end up drafting. 

When it's #20. Not much pressure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Definitely.  I've talked about the traits that Travis has tended to look for in players in other posts, but Travis has the innate ability to see those traits in players who haven't really shown them on a consistent basis.  A lot of that has to do with the style of offense they are in or the role they play.  For example, DeAndre Hunter came out of Virginia with strong defense and perimeter shooting, but he really didn't have an off the dribble game to speak of.  In year two in the NBA, Hunter really tightened up his handle and was probably the 2nd best shot creator on the team when healthy.  

John Collins wasn't a perimeter oriented big man coming out of Wake Forest, but they saw enough to believe he could develop into a spot up shooter off the pick and pop as well as be a dive man off the pick and roll.  

Cam Reddish was a guy who simply didn't fit in Duke's system.  You could see the skill level, but the production wasn't there.

In this case, I think you look at players like Trey Murphy, Keon Johnson, and Zaire Williams and see what they could be, not necessarily what they are now.  In all three cases, what they could be fits what the Hawks have targeted in the past.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Clearly Supes thinks Cooper is going much earlier than the second round.

I just think his size and lack of range will factor against him with certain teams. Having said that I’ve seen him mocked at high as #22. He’s compared to your boy Tyler Ulis a bit. Great floor general but lacking that outside ability. 

I didn’t say anything insane I just think he end up very late 1st round (25-30th) or possible early 2nd round (31-35). It’s not like I said something insane. He gave me a LMAO, literally! Not even with an emoji to rep it, just a simple discourteous LMAO like a a crazy person. 

I've seen him mocked as high as #11. There is a LOT of fluctuation on a lot of players this season, probably more so than many seasons past. But he seems to be a player that is all over the board for people. I think he's going to shock some people in the league, but he's gotta get in the right situation. If he lands in Philly...watch out. 

I personally think landing in the ATL would be the best thing for him, since he could learn soo much from Trae since they are very similar players other than being able to shoot off the bounce (a skill he'd likely improve under Trae's tutelage too). 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Do you have any intel on how the Hawks are approaching this draft? Obviously, there is a wide range of players who could be available at 20, but is there any guy who they are particularly excited about that could realistically be there at 20? — Zach W. 

When I asked him if he was keeping the ‘best player available’ mantra he maintained during the rebuild, Schlenk said the Hawks were taking the “worst player available.” He obviously knew I was asking if he’d be drafting more for fit instead, but I do like his dry sarcasm when he shows it.

But, really, as far as the draft, it’s been more of a wide range of players I’ve heard rather than the few in previous years just because of where they’re currently slotted. I’ll name the prospects I’ve heard mentioned in some capacity from asking around: LSU’s Cam Thomas, Tennessee’s Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer, Oregon’s Chris Duarte, Stanford’s Ziaire Williams and Illinois’ Ayo Dosunmu. I know the Hawks worked out Thomas, Springer, Duarte and Dosunmu. I did not receive any information on Johnson or Williams coming to Atlanta for a workout. I know Springer and Duarte stayed multiple days for their visit, for what it’s worth.

Unlike in my last two drafts, there doesn’t seem to be a good sense of which direction the Hawks might go. The one guy who’s been mentioned the most in conversations — again, for what it’s worth — is Thomas. He’s one of the best scorers and shotmakers in this draft, but that’s all he really does right now. He’s not a good defender and isn’t a passer. I’d also watch out for Dosunmu. He’s 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan, which fits the Hawks’ M.O. of drafting as many lengthy perimeter players as possible.

Also, league sources say the Hawks have explored moving up in the draft. Just how serious those talks have gotten, I’m not sure.

Cam Reddish rumors, John Collins’ contract, draft targets: Hawks mailbag – The Athletic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrReality said:

Seems the needs are PG and big.   Question is which to take in the draft and which in FA.  

Not really a question. You sign a PG and a big in free agency, then draft BPA, as is Schlenk's philosophy. 

We could draft anything.