• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae, Delon

Bogi, Huerter

Hunter, Reddish, Solo

JC, Gallo, Johnson

CC, Dieng, OO

That leaves 2 NBA roster spots to fill

I think 2 of the 3 gets Two-way contracts: Cooper, Mays, Knight.

Editing since Nathan Knight is moving on to Minnesota (he should get playing time since they need a PF).

Trae, Delon

Bogi, Huerter

Hunter, Reddish, Solo

JC, Gallo, Johnson

CC, Dieng, OO

That leaves 2 NBA roster spots to fill

Like I said previously, the Hawks have not returned the two same two way players in consecutive years

Two-way contracts: Cooper or Mays or both and/or a new two way player from our SL roster.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

and/or a new two way player from our SL roster.

Could be.  I saw that the summer league Hawk team has the top shooter playing for them.  Don't remember the name but apparently he can fill up the basket with the best of players.  Exciting thought!

:hi:

On 3/8/2021 at 11:44, gurpilo dijo:

I like the roster we are building, we have depth and options for certain matchups. We have legit depth even beyond 10th man. Roster is really awesome. Dieng is a real good option with OO injured and injury risks on Gallo and Capela, I think he could end as a Big contributor this year.

I think our rotation with min distribution when everybody is healthy (Big When) may look like this until OO comes back.

Young (33)/Wright (15)/Cooper

Bogi (28)/Huerter (20)/Mays

Hunter (28)/Reddish (20)/Hill

Collins(33)/Gallo(20)/JJ

Capela(28)/Dieng(15)/OO

Minutes for 3rd unir will be hard to come but we are going to have injuries.

Main injury risks are

- Gallo and Capela, this will open more minutes for Dieng/Jalen Johnson.

- Reddish/Hunter/Bogi, this will open minutes for rookie Cooper, sliding Wright to SG and Jalen Johnson as SF.

So apparently after final moves we might look something like this

Young (33)/Wright (12)/Lou (8)

Bogi (25)/Huerter (20)/Mays

Collins(33)/Gallo(18)/JJ

Capela(28)/Dieng(15)/OO

That means that Wright will split his time between PG and SG, and we might be running some small lineups with Huerter at 3 and Hunter at 4. Lou will get his time. We are incredibly deep, 12 quality players that might be on a rotation on any team, that is insane.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Collins(33)/Gallo(18)/JJ

Capela(28)/Dieng(15)/OO

That means that Wright will split his time between PG and SG, and we might be running some small lineups with Huerter at 3 and Hunter at 4. Lou will get his time. We are incredibly deep, 12 quality players that might be on a rotation on any team, that is insane.

Bear in mind that all of 

I can't imagine that Bogi will play that few minutes unless there are wear-and-tear concerns with his knees (and even then, the better approach would be to rest him on the 2NB2Bs rather than simply have him play fewer minutes). He averaged 33mpg once Nate made him a starter, and that just happened to coincide with us going 18-7 over that span. We're deeper now, but I still don't see him playing fewer than 28-30 if he's active and the game is close.

Same with Huerter. He averaged 31mpg last year. He's not gonna have those minutes cut by a third.

Bear in mind that 15 of our 16 regular lineups that had a positive +/- last season featured either Bogi, Huerter, or both (12 of the 16 featured Trae). All 4 of our lineups with a negative +/- had Bogi on the bench. I just don't see Bogi or Huerter having their minutes cut dramatically--certainly not because we want to get Lou minutes or because we'd rather avoid JC or even Gallo having to play the 5.

I imagine Dieng will average 8-12ish mpg rather than 15 (with JC playing a good number of minutes at the 5 and Hunter at the 4 sometimes) and that Lou will see a fair number of DNP-CDs now that Wright is aboard. No third-string PG plays every night, much less plays every night while averaging 8 mpg.

Young (33)/Wright (13)/Lou (3)

Bogi (29)/Huerter (25)/Mays

Collins(33)/Gallo(18)/JJ

Capela(28)/Dieng(10)/OO

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

The depth is nucking futz:

Trae/Delon/Lou/Sharife

Bogi/K’Von/Cam/Lou/Mays

Dre/Cam/K’Von/JJ/Solo

JC/Gallo/JJ/Dre

Clint/Dieng/OO/JC

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

Lou will probably be the 3rd string PG and the 3rd string SG. The good thing about having Delon is with his size he can be on the court with either Trae OR Lou without killing our defense. Delon can play SG with Trae, and slide over to PG with Lou on the court. 

I will almost "guarohntee" that Huerter plays less minutes than last year, assuming both Cam and Hunter don't miss the same amount of minutes again this season. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

Collins(33)/Gallo(18)/JJ

Capela(28)/Dieng(15)/OO

You might need to move some of the minutes from the starters to the 3rd stringers. If we're healthy we're gonna have quite a few blowouts and some garbage time minutes.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Lou will probably be the 3rd string PG and the 3rd string SG. The good thing about having Delon is with his size he can be on the court with either Trae OR Lou without killing our defense. Delon can play SG with Trae, and slide over to PG with Lou on the court. 

I will almost "guarohntee" that Huerter plays less minutes than last year, assuming both Cam and Hunter don't miss the same amount of minutes again this season. 

No doubt Wright and Reddish will eat into K'Von and Bogi's minutes somewhat. But I think that'll mainly come at the expense of the minutes that Lou, Rondo, Snell, and Hill took over the course of last season. I think Bogi's minutes will be right around 30--a bit shy of what he was doing late last year, but not a ton less. I think the fact that Nate played him 20+ minutes a night even when his knee totally robbed him of his bounce and first step is about as strong proof as there is that Nate will trust him to play full-time starter minutes.

Huerter's a trickier situation, depending on how quickly Reddish develops. But given how well Huerter played down the stretch last year, I definitely don't see his minutes crashing all the way to 20. I think he'll be the first guy off the bench and ahead of Reddish, at least at the start of the year. My guess is 25 minutes or a bit less most nights.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Scraps? I thought Dunn was supposedly one of the best defensive guards in the game that was just getting his sea legs this last year.

He was one of the best defensive guards in the game prior to his injury.  He did spend most of last year too injured to play only improving enough to get on the court at the end of the year.  He has not had any reported setbacks since his last game so presumably will be much better positioned to contribute this year.

But he also has a lengthy injury history and made no meaningful contribution to last year's success so the trade makes sense and he is scraps from a year-over-year perspective (i.e., having made no contribution last year his loss is not a meaningful step down for us).  Depends whether you are forward looking or backwards looking in assessing his value.

I do see him as still having value but also see this as a homerun deal for us since we need a dependable backup badly and Dunn just can't be described as dependable with his history even though I did like the signing for his potential defensive impact.  Obviously, Sacramento is making the trade because they have an excess of depth and wanted another frontcourt player.  Boston did the trade for Dunn probably more than either Bruno or the second.

• Like 2

There has to be a sizable gap between the Hawks and the next best 10-man rotation in the league. We got ball handling, shooting, rebounding, and defensive versatility in spades.

Championship teams with great depth (14-15 Warriors) have their starters closer to 31 minutes.  Those who are front-loaded (20-21 Bucks) are closer to 33.  I think we can be the former.

• Like 1