• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ain't no one more wrong than @TheNorthCydeRises

Quin needs to start Bogi, and sit either Capela or Collins.  My vote would be for Capela, so that Collins can play the 5 and still give us the slight threat of a shooter, and a legit threat of a midrange / post shooter.

WE gonna celebrate Dre coming out like mini Grant Hill in that 1st quarter.  I'm more impressed with the 6 rebounds than the 10 points he got.

Now do it again.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2023 at 9:31 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

The start of 2021 were fun times with these:

Screenshot_20230417_212801_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230417_212833_Samsung Internet.jpg

....then he got injured 😢

Let's go back and tell what ACTUALLY happened.  At the time these memes were posted we were 3-1.  We then lost 8 out of 9 games WITH Hunter, and that is when all the Wingstop hype ended.    

Immediately following his injury we went on an 8 game winning streak.  Injury did not end the Wingstop fantasy, actual results and lack of ability ended that.  Remember the Wing Twist thread, "Hey guys, no one is going to call it out?  We actually play much better with Huerter and Bogi starting."  At the time no one said, "Our season is lost because Hunter got injured." 

Let's not revise history.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 7:18 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is a controversial and bold statement.  But it may be the truth.

Johnson's perimeter and ball handling skills can't be denied.  He's easily the better passer.  And I think he's the better isolation player, although De'Andre has vastly improved his midrange game.  Cam is potentially a better 3 point shooter, but consistency has been his issue from that range.

I wouldn't say that he's a better man defender than De'Andre or Cam, but he definitely has a better array of offensive skills than those two.  It's going to be VERY INTERESTING how Nate uses him.  You almost have to play him at the 3, with spot minutes at the 4.  He definitely makes Gallo expendable either during the season, or next offseason.

NBADraft.net ratings

• Athleticism      8
  • Size                  8
  • Defense            8
  • Strength           8
  • Quickness         8
  • Leadership        7
  • Jump Shot         7
  • NBA Ready       7
  • Ball Handling     8
  • Potential            9
  • Passing              8
  • Intangibles       7

Overall                        93

To me, the ratings in red are ridiculous.   The guy is easily one of the 5 best athletes in this draft.  And at 6-9, his size is ideal to put at the 3 and even as a small ball 4 in a quick lineup  He didn't shoot the 3 with enough volume in college, so I can see why people may have had doubts with his long range shooting.  But I'm tempted to even bump him up here. 

He's DEFINITELY NBA ready.  I don't think few people can deny that.   And as far as intangibles, he has that too, with the way he can be a secondary ball handler and be a very good weak side defender. He's also ultra confident, which will help him adjust to the league very quickly.

Nate has a very good problem on his hands.  He has a playoff tested team that has good to great chemistry together.  And he doesn't have to rush putting the kids on the floor in expanded roles.

But how do you keep Jalen Johnson out of this rotation?  I honestly don't think you can.

At minimum, he completely takes over the Solo spot as our 3rd string SF/PF.  At maximum . . . he plays well enough to justify him being the 6th/7th man . . . or even starting, if Hunter and Reddish continue to be hampered by injuries.

And by the start of the 2022 - 23 season, our best wing may be Johnson . . . not Hunter or Reddish.

I have to admit, this was a hell of a prediction. If he gets 25+ minutes a game, here will be his numbers:

12.2 ppg - 7.4 rebs - 3.7 asst - 1 8 blks  - 1.1 stls 

48% FG - 33% 3FG - 77% FT

• Like 4

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Jalen is going to be featured in some pick n roll, pick n pop action this year.  His advantage here is the ability to facilitate out of the receiver position. Nothing our other bigs can really do.

And so begins the legend of BenJalen JohnSimmons III ....... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

JJ said he modeled his game after LeBron and Ben Simmons after he was drafted. Now his GLeague coach is saying the same thing and he’s doing workouts with LeBron this offseason. I’ve been bullish on JJ since seeing him in the GLeague and he’s grown so much, but something tells me his development with the direction of this coaching staff (no roboNate to bury him on the bench) is going to be eye opening this season! 

• Like 4

At what age does a player reach his peak?

Old man Jalen Johnson will hit age 22 on December 18, 2023.

(Gasp)  Why are we still discussing his G League play?  This was so long ago, wasn't it?  

Squawk posters, wake up!  We're talking about a very young player who has just recently started his journey in the NBA.  He's barely stuck his big toe in the pool.  Swimming laps are still in his future.  How much has he shown already?  Read what his G League coach had to say about him.  Quin and his staff are here to train and mold him.

Note:  I have six grandchildren, all of which are older than Jalen Johnson!  Am I a huge fan?  You bet I am!  I believe he is destined to become one of the best players to ever play for the Atlanta Hawks!  Better than any current Hawk?  Yes!  High expectations!

:smug:

• Like 3