• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk on 92.9 after Rockets loss: "Good teams don't do that!"

NineOhTheRino

17 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

There are so many areas of this defense that we need to fix, but to me, our transition defense is killing us the most. For example look at this play. Everyone is running back on defense, yet no one knows where there man is. What does that do? Lead to an easy bucket for Jokic.

Does Trae get the blame for that play?  And how does he end up on Jokic?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

He played in 33 games last year and averaged over 8 minutes per games played exact number of minutes Dieng is averaging this year so he wasn't just getting minutes in blow outs

Average margin of games Mays was active but did not play: 7.8

Average margin of games Mays played at least 8 minutes: 14.8

Average margin of games Mays played at least 4 minutes: 14.9

This represents ~2/3rds of his total minutes:

Screenshot 2021-12-20 5.33.41 PM.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mrhonline said:

Didn't he play in the 1st half of many of those games?  If so, how would he be inserted after the game was decided?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Does Trae get the blame for that play?  And how does he end up on Jokic?

100% Trae’s fault.   As he was running with Jokic he should’ve looked ahead and noticed that he was heading towards Monte Morris being loosely watched by Gallo who was in the lane.  Trae should’ve signaled ahead to Gallo to switch and then he should’ve busted his ass to get to Morris in the corner.     There isn’t a bigger Trae Stan in the world than me (not an exaggeration) , but there’s no denying what I saw.   

At the end of the day I put a large portion of the blame for the defense on him.  Teams mimic their best players.  I grew up with MJ and the Bulls where we had a team where the two best players were also dogs on defense.  Led to the other 13 players trying harder than they ever have on the defensive side.   We have a team where our best player is our worst defender.  That can still work, but he has to at least put the effort in to at least not give up completely uncontested buckets.  He can still be a defensive captain and call out assignments or at least use that same basketball IQ he that helps him excel on the offensive end to become more proficient defensively.  That play I just described is a great example of a simple read that Trae should’ve made before he crossed half court and instead he didn’t make it at all.  Pathetic.

edit:  all that said, Gallo could’ve made the same read just as easily and called for a switch, but didn’t.

Edited by shakes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mrhonline said:

In fact,  Mays entered the game in the 1st quarter of those games listed except 4.  3 of them he entered at the beginning of the 2nd quarter.  San Antonio was the only game in which Mays played in the 2nd half only.  So he only played in garbage time only in 1 game.

• Like 1

My bad.  I guess this is Mays 2nd year.  Good luck to him. 

When a 2nd round pick isn't getting minutes I believe the most likely reason is that they belong on the bench.  Fans want to imagine a less likely scenario.  Go with the odds.  

Another thought exercise.  Name a Hawk draft pick that didn't make it into our rotation that went on to have a significant role on a different team.  Mays is a second round pick.  Let's move on.  

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

My bad.  I guess this is Mays 2nd year.  Good luck to him. 

When a 2nd round pick isn't getting minutes I believe the most likely reason is that they belong on the bench.  Fans want to imagine a less likely scenario.  Go with the odds.  

Another thought exercise.  Name a Hawk draft pick that didn't make it into our rotation that went on to have a significant role on a different team.  Mays is a second round pick.  Let's move on.  

Boris Diaw stands out.  Otherwise, I can't really think of anyone.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Name a Hawk draft pick that didn't make it into our rotation that went on to have a significant role on a different team.  Mays is a second round pick.  Let's move on

Truth.   People out there screaming 'Nate is an idiot' for not playing JJ and Rife rn.   Coaches tend to play guys that are going to help the team win because it helps them keep their jobs.   There are fewer agendas than folks realize.   Anti-rookie is really just anti-screwing up and costing us the game. 

I'm high on JJ and Cooper.  I don't really expect Mays to make it in the league.  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't he play in the 1st half of many of those games?  If so, how would he be inserted after the game was decided?

I'm not sure you're arguing in good faith but I'll play along (via StatMuse). Roughly half of his minutes came in the 4th quarter.

• 1st quarter (14g for ~2.8 mpg)
  • 2nd quarter (18g for ~2.9 mpg)
  • 3rd quarter (13g for ~3.1 mpg)
  • 4th quarter (27g for ~4.5 mpg)

He was largely used as a relief pitcher.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mrhonline said:

I'm not sure you're arguing in good faith but I'll play along (via StatMuse). Roughly half of his minutes came in the 4th quarter.

• 1st quarter (14g for ~2.8 mpg)
  • 2nd quarter (18g for ~2.9 mpg)
  • 3rd quarter (13g for ~3.1 mpg)
  • 4th quarter (27g for ~4.5 mpg)

He was largely used as a relief pitcher.

What do mean as a relief pitcher?  Do you mean that he was a back up 1/2 combo guard?  if so I agree.    The guy was a rookie on a team with a lot of guards so yeah he was used as you would expect a rookie to be used on a team with a star point guard.  My point of this conversation is that his advanced metrics continue to look much better than all of our guards not name Young.  And since none of them seem to be able to stay in front of anybody with a ball in their hands, why not see what Mays can do.

• Premium Member

I just want to say that it is absolutely unacceptable that anybody misses a WIDE OPEN three point shot generated by Trae Young. His passes are so good that defenders are often times not even in the screen when his teammates shoot it. These are NBA wings that are known for their jump shot, yet they miss these shots at an unacceptable rate. They should be between 75 and 90% on these shots because they are essentially practice shots. His teammates need to stop being surprised by getting such wide open shots. 

That is all. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 12/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, MarylandHawk said:

I just want to say that it is absolutely unacceptable that anybody misses a WIDE OPEN three point shot generated by Trae Young. His passes are so good that defenders are often times not even in the screen when his teammates shoot it. These are NBA wings that are known for their jump shot, yet they miss these shots at an unacceptable rate. They should be between 75 and 90% on these shots because they are essentially practice shots. His teammates need to stop being surprised by getting such wide open shots. 

That is all. 

I would take a bet that the NBA shooting % for wide open shots and contested shots are pretty close

• Premium Member
On 12/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, NineOhTheRino said:

I would take a bet that the NBA shooting % for wide open shots and contested shots are pretty close

I would love to know. Nothing baffles me more than when Bogi is wide open and he misses the shot. It’s like 3 a game. Then he will come back and make a highly contested 3. 

• Like 2