• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would KAT fit with the Hawks?

Spud2nique

Would KAT fit with the Hawks  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would KAT fit with the Hawks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/2022 at 08:03 AM

Wondering how many are on the side of selling a bit of the farm, well a lot of it in this case to land KAT. Just wondering which side of the fence everyone is on.

Thoughts? 

ps Selling the farm=Cam or Hunter and JC and possibly a first or somewhere around that cost.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Firstly this all depends on what we give up. Minny isn't giving KAT away, especially when they are about to make the playoffs, or at least the play in for the first time in a long time. Also, and smart people please correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't it also be true if we acquire KAT we would be more limited in our cap down the line? He is signed through 23-24 which is two more seasons after this one and then how do we pay him plus whatever Trae's next contract is? I like KAT a lot, but I'm not sure he is worth max money. He is a one way player that requires the ball in his hands a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

He absolutely fits but it will hurt the Hawks' depth significantly. I'd hate to see JC go because I'd rather pair him with KAT. I'm still bullish on the young wings. I feel like the Hawks would be selling low on Cam or Hunter if either gets traded this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He absolutely fits but it will hurt the Hawks' depth significantly. I'd hate to see JC go because I'd rather pair him with KAT. I'm still bullish on the young wings. I feel like the Hawks would be selling low on Cam or Hunter if either gets traded this season.

You mind ringing the poll 🗳 bell for the talley of YES then. Lol. I’m counting on my fingers here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Speaking to the salary over the next two years after this season:

KAT makes $33 and $36 

JC and Hunter makes $32 and $37 combined

JC and Reddish makes $28 and $33 combined

The big difference would be the upcoming salaries for Hunter and Reddish.

But we can go over the cap to sign those guys... we can't do that with KAT, right?

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

But we can go over the cap to sign those guys... we can't do that with KAT, right?

I don't quite understand the exact question - the money owed over the next 2 year for these combo of players aligns with what KAT makes currently.  And yes, if in 2 years KAT is resigned, Hawks can exceed the cap to resign him since they would own his bird rights.  I may not fully understand your question.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't quite understand the exact question - the money owed over the next 2 year for these combo of players aligns with what KAT makes currently.  And yes, if in 2 years KAT is resigned, Hawks can exceed the cap to resign him since they would own his bird rights.  I may not fully understand your question.

Nope, that answers it. I thought bird rights only apply for players you drafted, so my question was in the event we acquired KAT if we could go over the cap to resign him.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Nope, that answers it. I thought bird rights only apply for players you drafted, so my question was in the event we acquired KAT if we could go over the cap to resign him.

Got it.  If a player is traded his bird rights goes with him. He would not be eligible however to receive the Super Max contract (35% of Cap) since it can only be given by the team that drafts him. So his max would be capped at 30%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Got it.  If a player is traded his bird rights goes with him. He would not be eligible however to receive the Super Max contract (35% of Cap) since it can only be given by the team that drafts him. So his max would be capped at 30%.

Good God unstudies are the best! Wow, you’ve gone above and beyond. Somewhere, @hawksfanatic.    is smiling :smile:

:rumple: cheers 🥂@JayBirdHawk she guuuuuuuddddd doh :facts3:

image.gif.0913fccf68a57480a03b30e8e44b9abd.gif

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Good God unstudies are the best! Wow, you’ve gone above and beyond. Somewhere, @hawksfanatic.    is smiling :smile:

:rumple: cheers 🥂@JayBirdHawk she guuuuuuuddddd doh :facts3:

image.gif.0913fccf68a57480a03b30e8e44b9abd.gif

HAHAHA...The Cap used to frustrate me as I couldn't understand why teams could sign guys and be over the cap and we couldn't.  So I got tutorials from Hawkfanatic.  Now I get it and doing by best to impart what I know to the Squawk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Wondering how many are on the side of selling a bit of the farm, well a lot of it in this case to land KAT. Just wondering which side of the fence everyone is on.

Thoughts? 

ps Selling the farm=Cam or Hunter and JC and possibly a first or somewhere around that cost.

We would be giving up a lot more than we would be getting back.   I'm opposed to making this type of trade.

• Thanks 1

KAT would fit right in. All offense and no defense. He's a really good player but I wouldn't do it. He gets hurt just as much or more than DeAndre Hunter. We would have to give up too much. He would also have to player power forward with Capela at  Center. I think KAT is too slow to guard power forwards. With all that said, Trae and KAT would be a great offensive combination but the defense would be terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don’t see it unless there are essentially 2 big trades, Cap next to KAT isn’t great and JC and KAT doesn’t really work either.

🤔 

2 big trades seems super unlikely, not after going to the ECF. How patient is Schlenk, he’s been awesome, eager to see if his overall grade stays at an A/A- with me. I’d give him an A- so far overall he’s been great.