• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ice Trae: One Of One

benhillboy

15 hours ago, Sothron said:

Dominique Wilkins is no longer the greatest Atlanta Hawks player. Trae Young is the best Atlanta Hawks player of all time. 

:laugh1: you’re a week late Soth! I dipped my toes in the water last week.

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Soth and Supes make the points above on both sides of how you compare Nique and Trae but just stepping back we went almost 30 years without having a truly significant player (i.e., one who should be in the discussion for MVP/All-NBA/etc. and in the discussion for best player in the league at his position).  

Since then our best have been people like Dikembe Mutombo (exciting impact player but never someone who should be discussed as an MVP), Joe Johnson (repeated participation ribbon All-Star who was never in the discussion for best at his position), Al Horford (great supporting player but not a lead or ceiling raiser type of player who should ever have been in the MVP discussion let alone someone who was a repeated All-NBA), etc. 

I love these Hawks and really enjoyed their careers but none of them are among the defining players of their generation.  Nique was and Trae is.  Those types of players have been far and few between for our franchise.

I'm really grateful to be able to watch Trae play in an Atlanta Hawks uniform and hope he will be a career guy ala Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc.  Just so nice to have someone who has this kind of talent and also comes off as likable as he does (at least to me).

Facts. Both players have been clear faces. We haven't had that since Pettit, Hudson, and Pete.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

Trae is obviously the most significant Hawk since Nique and the among the top 3 most significant players in franchise history (along with Pettit).

Congrats on making more history just 4 years into your career, Trae!

Call me prejudice.   I don't consider any of the Milwaukee/St. Louis Franchise players as Hawks.  

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Call me prejudice.   I don't consider any of the Milwaukee/St. Louis Franchise players as Hawks.  

I don't know that this makes you prejudiced in any way.  I consider the Hawks to have one NBA championship, but I don't think there is a problem with a fan only caring about the Atlanta part of the franchise's history.  Some Colts fans probably consider the team to have 5 championships and some probably only care about the 2006 ring.  Neither view is a problem.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

@kg01 you hear me on the Frank&Scally show this morning on NBA radio?

They agreed that what Trae did was amazing and he needs to be all NBA.  Frank didn't really agree with me that it was an insult for Trae to only make 3rd team, but other than that they were both very complimentary.

I said he should be getting talked about for MVP since, after all, Russ won MVP for his triple double season and what Trae did is  much more impressive and rare.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, shakes said:

@kg01 you hear me on the Frank&Scally show this morning on NBA radio?

They agreed that what Trae did was amazing and he needs to be all NBA.  Frank didn't really agree with me that it was an insult for Trae to only make 3rd team, but other than that they were both very complimentary.

I said he should be getting talked about for MVP since, after all, Russ won MVP for his triple double season and what Trae did is  much more impressive and rare.

Nope but I'll listen to the replay rn.  @Spud2nique I will report back on the sexiness of stu's voice as compared to @NBASupes since he's our barometer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

Soth and Supes make the points above on both sides of how you compare Nique and Trae but just stepping back we went almost 30 years without having a truly significant player (i.e., one who should be in the discussion for MVP/All-NBA/etc. and in the discussion for best player in the league at his position).  

Since then our best have been people like Dikembe Mutombo (exciting impact player but never someone who should be discussed as an MVP), Joe Johnson (repeated participation ribbon All-Star who was never in the discussion for best at his position), Al Horford (great supporting player but not a lead or ceiling raiser type of player who should ever have been in the MVP discussion let alone someone who was a repeated All-NBA), etc. 

I love these Hawks and really enjoyed their careers but none of them are among the defining players of their generation.  Nique was and Trae is.  Those types of players have been far and few between for our franchise.

I'm really grateful to be able to watch Trae play in an Atlanta Hawks uniform and hope he will be a career guy ala Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc.  Just so nice to have someone who has this kind of talent and also comes off as likable as he does (at least to me).

I think with Trae.. it's about Dominance and high level Stats. 

Since Nique:

Deke has been the only player that we have had that has dominated his position and his position made a difference in the success of the team.

Joe Johnson had the stats and even some team wins but Joe wasn't a dominant player. 

Our 60 win team didn't have a player of notice to focus on. 

Trae is the only player we have had since Nique that encompasses dominance and stats.   Dominance in that teams game plan to stop Trae.  Stats in that he brings them. 

Has he surpassed Nique.  Yeah. 

He just doesn't have the longevity yet 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Oh noooo, the replay isn't posted yet.  I'll listen once they put it up.

It was around 8:00-8:10 central time or so.   I was on the way to work and was able to get on after being on hold for about 2 minutes.    

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, shakes said:

It was around 8:00-8:10 central time or so.   I was on the way to work and was able to get on after being on hold for about 2 minutes.    

Next time do the right thing and blast us while your on hold, we’ll towards the end I’ve held for 30 min before when I was steamed about a topic. Lol.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Next time do the right thing and blast us while your on hold, we’ll towards the end I’ve held for 30 min before when I was steamed about a topic. Lol.

yea i only called because Scally was saying how total points is more important than average and i was like, ok I agree 100% now let's talk about that how it relates to Trae.  I only had 5 minutes from when Ic alled to when I would be at the office and I wasn't going to wait longer than that.  Got lucky that I called right when they were taking calls.

24 minutes ago, shakes said:

yea i only called because Scally was saying how total points is more important than average and i was like, ok I agree 100% now let's talk about that how it relates to Trae.  I only had 5 minutes from when Ic alled to when I would be at the office and I wasn't going to wait longer than that.  Got lucky that I called right when they were taking calls.

Wait so Scally was defending Trae and you called to defend the defend?

image.gif.074ca614c2ad68345bd50c4c57bd2a82.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No, Scally was using total points to hype someone else and i used that logic to say he should be doing the same for Trae.  He agreed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shakes said:

I finally heard it.  Nicely done.  That show actually bumped for Trae the whole time.  Wondering why folks weren't giving him more love for the points/assist totals.

And you get a 6.5 on the sexy voice scale.  🤠

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Earlier in the show, both hosts were lamenting why the league doesn't use totals to determine scoring and assist titles.

Said Trae should be a lock for all-Nba.  Didn't know why guys like Ja were getting so much pub.

• Like 1