• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who should Nate choose to replace Jent?

marco102

• Premium Member

Joe Prunty, 2018 interim HC for MIL, is a natural candidate if it's an internal promotion... and I'd be 51%+ inclined to think that's the case.

Then, I've said a couple of times already I've been hopeful for a new big man coach ever since Foster left.

Who though..........................

Well, I think there's a natural candidate there, too, given the suggestion that we want to get some new grittier attitude, right?

He's on staff at GSW but not an official coach, so it's also the next natural rung on the ladder for him... and if Wiki's correct, he's still making his home in the ATL (... aside... don't understand anyone living in SF area who doesn't absolutely have to).

OIP.6JQTbL5lbEFJyA-RjgpVHwAAAA?pid=ImgDe

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Honestly, I like the idea of Adrian Griffin Sr. 

He has coached in some places that have different offensive looks than what we have. 

I don't like Snyder as much because he comes out of the Coach Bud wheelhouse.   Nate is not going to warm up to bud type offense.. which is infinite ball rotation.   We no longer have the shooters for that either. 

Stotts is too modern.. his teams never really have a lot of assists.  Lots of see a three take a three.  Again, not a good match.

I don't know if it were possible to get him.. I think he's at UA now, but Eric Musselman would be very interesting. I like his idea of building an offensive playbook off of the things you do well... sorta like Jerry Sloan's teams used to do. 

Sam Cassell is a great guy for player development. He would work miracles with Trae and Murray.  Sam should want to get out of Philly because the end is near.  I don't know a lot about his offensive philosophy though.  He's been with Doc a while. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Prunty loss my confidence when Nate and Jent had Covid..

This is a first... someone throwing shade on an assistant coach... hehe... it's even a bit funny actually.

C'mon Dies... who does that.

And which of the handful of other assistant coaches who filled-in for a head coach would you reject on the basis of their not being a good temp?

• Confused 1

We really could use some infusion of experience on the bench.

I already thought this last year heading in to the season. Even moreso now.

At least 2 experienced coaches would be nice considering the expectations we have for our group.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, sturt said:

This is a first... someone throwing shade on an assistant coach... hehe... it's even a bit funny actually.

C'mon Dies... who does that.

And which of the handful of other assistant coaches who filled-in for a head coach would you reject on the basis of their not being a good temp?

Honestly Sturt.. This guy was all over the place.  His offense was bad.. His timeouts made Nate's timeouts seem timely.   We just looked hella bad.  I thought we had let the custodian coach... 

I began to wonder... maybe lack of good assistants is what has been holding Nate back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We really could use some infusion of experience on the bench.

I already thought this last year heading in to the season. Even moreso now.

At least 2 experienced coaches would be nice considering the expectations we have for our group.

Here's an experienced guy...

Atlanta Hawks nearing addition of Mavericks assistant Melvin Hunt -  Peachtree Hoops

Here's another...

Doc Rivers says Sam Cassell deserves a head coaching job

Here's one more...

NBA Rumors: Celtics, Blazers, Magic All Considering Nets' Coach For Vacancy

D'Antoni:  Cmon Nate, let me run the offense and you run the defense and we can finally get those rings we have talked about!!

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I began to wonder... maybe lack of good assistants is what has been holding Nate back. 

I definitely doesn’t help.

Even in the Bud era, you saw this well oiled machine look gradually less and less polished as his coaches got away.

Having so much talent on your bench allows guys 1-15 to get quality individual attention at all times.

Having experience around allows you to trust judgement and opinions other than your own.

I remember when we hired Bud some were upset that we didn’t hire Snyder or Atkinson as the HC, and then they come on as our assistants and we were like, WTF just happened??? We literally hired all of the best available candidates to be on the same coaching staff. That makes a difference.

Wild times.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I definitely doesn’t help.

Even in the Bud era, you saw this well oiled machine look gradually less and less polished as his coaches got away.

Having so much talent on your bench allows guys 1-15 to get quality individual attention at all times.

Having experience around allows you to trust judgement and opinions other than your own.

I remember when we hired Bud some were upset that we didn’t hire Snyder or Atkinson as the HC, and then they come on as our assistants and we were like, WTF just happened??? We literally hired all of the best available candidates to be on the same coaching staff. That makes a difference.

Wild times.

I remember there was a change that happened both in the number of assistants and the Number of scouts.   We had more scouts than ever.  Right now, Nate is pussyfooting around with the acquisition of new assistants.  I think he needs more than 2 ... there should be about 4-5 on the bench. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, BangHolman said:

Solomon Hill

If Hill is transitioning to coaching, I would like to see him start off with player development.   This is true for Lemonpepper too.  I actually saw a lot of good coaching that Lou did with OO during games.  He can see him teaching young bigs how to play with good guards. 

• Like 1