• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Post-Moratorium Insider Rumor Thread

AHF

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Thanks for posting the text because he don't deserve clicks for that admittedly stale, nonsensical report(sic).

My BIL told me yesterday, and I quote, "I heard we might be getting John Collins".  I rolled my eyes so hard they fell out.  I knew he was parroting some BSPN-ish nonsense and apparently I was right.

These dudes need to just go on hiatus.  There's no new news out there so stop trying to trick people.

He sound like the dude that didn't do the reading but had to speak first in class the next day.  Throwing in a bunch of big words to sound like he read.

"Oh see and maybe they'll get Collins but .... and such as they probably won't because whosoever read hawksquawk 4 months ago and whatnot so ..... yeah, it was good."

Nope 👎 you’re wrong. The Heat will end up with Kay Dee, Spida and JC. It’s the new big 3! :nailbiting:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Unless the league is going to nullify the signings, execs like Morey are always going to take the penalty and players will always go with getting their money. Tampering and collusion will continue unless Adam Silver takes a hard line and nullifies these signings. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

nullifies these signings

Yes, if that's an option.

Not sure it would be, legally speaking, but @AHF or other legal types can comment on that better than I can.

My guess.... can nullify a sign-and-trade like with BogBog and MIL because of the trade aspect, ie, that the trade wasn't approved in the first place. But assuming the league signed off and thus already approved the signing, seems like it could be a problem for the league to reverse itself.

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not sure it would be, legally speaking, but @AHF or other legal types can comment on that better than I can.

My guess.... can nullify a sign-and-trade like with BogBog and MIL because of the trade aspect, ie, that the trade wasn't approved in the first place. But assuming the league signed off and thus already approved the signing, seems like it could be a problem for the league to reverse itself.

Or, they could loosen up like the NFL where players take pay cuts and restructures all the time mostly to help their team’s cap situation. I’m sure a lot of those are wink wink agreements too.

The NBA is too confusing from a cap/CBA  perspective anyways.

More stars stay put in the NFL, honor their contracts, and there is more parity/interest.

I love the NBA product more overall, but I wonder why their business model comes with so much baggage in comparison. 

3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Or, they could loosen up like the NFL where players take pay cuts and restructures all the time mostly to help their team’s cap situation. I’m sure a lot of those are wink wink agreements too.

The NBA is too confusing from a cap/CBA  perspective anyways.

More stars stay put in the NFL, honor their contracts, and there is more parity/interest.

I love the NBA product more overall, but I wonder why their business model comes with so much baggage in comparison. 

Rightly or wrongly, nba players have always had more control than NFL guys.  So, when you see those differences, it's usually because of that.

There's no way nfl players, given the actual choice, would allow that nonsensical restructuring of their contracts and whatnot for the "team" that can cut tour arse st a moments notice and not have to pay 100% of what you're owed.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, sturt said:

Joe Smith is your precedent with very similar circumstances.  The NBA can really drop the hammer if they have the facts and the will to do so.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Rightly or wrongly, nba players have always had more control than NFL guys.  So, when you see those differences, it's usually because of that.

There's no way nfl players, given the actual choice, would allow that nonsensical restructuring of their contracts and whatnot for the "team" that can cut tour arse st a moments notice and not have to pay 100% of what you're owed.

I hate NFL contracts.   I don't like anything that not guaranteed.  It makes a contract less than a promise and more like a possibility.   I hate that. 

I like the NBA contracts where a GM has a set amount that he can spend and when he has used it up, that's his team.   Over the years, I have seen bird rights, rookie caps, and luxury taxes but it still follows closely to the original thought. .. whereas football... has no rhyme or reason. 

@kg01 please don’t call him fatty or chunky. This kid is going all NBA this year I think. He’s mad 😡.

Zion Williamson very bothered by constant ridicule about his weight

i_f8_2d_18_zion-williamson.png?w=190

Williamson understands how much his weight has been a topic of discussion. While the Pels star has always tried to say the right thing whenever asked about his weight, people around Williamson maintain the constant ridicule he’s dealt with annoys him just as much as you’d expect.

Is the new “cool” norm of the NBA to get as fat as possible then slim down? 🤷‍♀️ 

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

Unless the league is going to nullify the signings, execs like Morey are always going to take the penalty and players will always go with getting their money. Tampering and collusion will continue unless Adam Silver takes a hard line and nullifies these signings. 

What about stripping the 76ers of multiple first round picks?  That seemed to do a lot of havoc to the T Wolves regarding the Joe Smith contract.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

I hate NFL contracts.   I don't like anything that not guaranteed.  It makes a contract less than a promise and more like a possibility.   I hate that. 

I like the NBA contracts where a GM has a set amount that he can spend and when he has used it up, that's his team.   Over the years, I have seen bird rights, rookie caps, and luxury taxes but it still follows closely to the original thought. .. whereas football... has no rhyme or reason. 

The notion that NFL contracts are not guaranteed is way overblown. It's essentially just semantics. In the NBA it would be called a team option. 

29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

@kg01 please don’t call him fatty or chunky. This kid is going all NBA this year I think. He’s mad 😡.

Zion Williamson very bothered by constant ridicule about his weight

i_f8_2d_18_zion-williamson.png?w=190

Williamson understands how much his weight has been a topic of discussion. While the Pels star has always tried to say the right thing whenever asked about his weight, people around Williamson maintain the constant ridicule he’s dealt with annoys him just as much as you’d expect.

Is the new “cool” norm of the NBA to get as fat as possible then slim down? 🤷‍♀️ 

I'd like to imagine Zion just holds his gut in for the entire game 😂

8435d50a8e9d3e10ec1f30d4b99fbf453ecffb1a

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

I hate everything about the NFL so you're preaching to the choir.

@Spud2nique FZion is more likely to make 1st in the buffet line than he is to make 1st team all-NBA.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The notion that NFL contracts are not guaranteed is way overblown. It's essentially just semantics. In the NBA it would be called a team option. 

Interesting take.  So it seems the issue is in the reporting/description.  They should really only refer to the guaranteed portion when they say "Billy signed for 6 years, $15mil".  Then mention the 'team option' portion separately.

Perhaps they just do it to pump up the money for shock value?

That said, it's still accurate to state NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed.  Some guys don't have any portion guaranteed, no?

23 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You’re hunting for a “like” from the caged and 😡 one huh? 😂 

I'm easy.  You know this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hate everything about the NFL so you're preaching to the choir.

@Spud2nique FZion is more likely to make 1st in the buffet line than he is to make 1st team all-NBA.

The gauntlet has been thrown then..

If you freestyle (stroke) through all our BS… this is CJ vs Beal all over again, it’s our sequel caged!!! I want 💰 fa dis! 

YOUR GUY: BENEDICT BEN (Simmons)

MY GUY: ZION (NO MO JOKES :boxing:) WILLIAMSON

Ps I think you may have won the first round with Beal, but I dunno I’m traditionally supposed to like him based on my history and loyalty of loving guys with loyalty, having said that, I don’t think that was it with him it was 💰 the bag.

I still almost rather have CJ, depends what system.. like OJ Mayo and Supes :ninja:

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The ratio of players that have Team Options are quite limited though. Hawks don't have one player with a TO. Most teams may have 1 player with a TO and it's usually an aging Allstar or a lower level bench guy. 

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Interesting take.  So it seems the issue is in the reporting/description.  They should really only refer to the guaranteed portion when they say "Billy signed for 6 years, $15mil".  Then mention the 'team option' portion separately.

Perhaps they just do it to pump up the money for shock value?

That said, it's still accurate to state NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed.  Some guys don't have any portion guaranteed, no?

I'm easy.  You know this.

I don't think that necessarily true - you hear about players getting cut all the time, I don't hear about those players getting the money remaining on their contract - I do hear about dead money counting against the teams cap though. The other big difference in the NFL is the teams ability to renegotiate existing contracts and for players to defer money, or convert salary to bonuses etc.

Team can cut players and not owe them or am I missing something. You cut a player in the NBA, more often than not they get all their money or negotiate a buyout.

• Like 2