• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Early projections: Hawks #5 in EC, 47.5 wins

sturt

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Chris Jackson

I thought he was going to be an NBA star.  Really liked his game and while he had a perfectly respectable career it wasn't what it seemed it could be.

I've said it before, he and Shaq and Stanley Roberts not contending for an NCAA title was a travesty in coaching.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

I would venture to say we are better than Philadelphia and Toronto at this point

Honestly i think Miami comes back to reality this year too.   With Philly i think Harden sandbagged last season and then was way too out of shape to turn it around.   Wouldn't surprise me to see him do well this season.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Honestly i think Miami comes back to reality this year too.   With Philly i think Harden sandbagged last season and then was way too out of shape to turn it around.   Wouldn't surprise me to see him do well this season.  

How many years we gonna let Soften (hes too fat to be hard-en) get away with the 'uh, I came into the season outta shape' eggscuse before we realize he's just over the hill and Father Time is 82-0? 

• Haha 3

On 7/16/2022 at 6:18 PM, Diesel said:

Sactown is dangerous. 

Fox, Monk, Kev, Barnes, and Sabonis.. with Murray off the bench (to start)....That's an interesting group...

My main question would be where's the D-fence.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

How many years we gonna let Soften (hes too fat to be hard-en) get away with the 'uh, I came into the season outta shape' eggscuse before we realize he's just over the hill and Father Time is 82-0? 

Nah, he's just waiting and cruising through the regular season so he can turn it on when it's playoff time.  Lean mean beard machine!  Right?  Right???

image.jpeg.62bc0067a221dbd6f7d855be9b060511.jpeg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, sillent said:

My main question would be where's the D-fence.

And their coach is gonna get exposed. He’s been hiding behind Lebron and Scurry for a while. As the head man, he isn’t very good. I’m rooting Sac on though!

• Premium Member

POWER RANKINGS

10. Atlanta Hawks

Major additions: Dejounte Murray (trade), Mo Harkless (trade), Justin Holiday (trade), AJ Griffin (draft), Frank Kaminsky (free agent), Aaron Holiday (free agent)

Major subtractions: Kevin Huerter (Sacramento), Danilo Gallinari (Boston), Kevin Knox (Detroit), Delon Wright (Washington), Gorgui Dieng (San Antonio)

Did this team get better? The Atlanta Hawks had a brilliant offseason and very much improved. The trade for Murray gives them a great complement to Trae Young in the backcourt on both ends of the floor. Losing Huerter and Gallinari can be tough, but bringing in Justin Holiday is a good plug for the perimeter in this rotation. The Hawks knew they couldn’t just bring the group back that disappointed last season under expectations. They needed some new blood, and now they have a real chance to build something dangerous in the loaded Eastern Conference.

Do we like what they did? 🦅 (I know it’s an eagle and not a hawk, but take it up with Apple.)

https://theathletic.com/3447356/2022/08/03/nba-power-rankings-2022-offseason/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

MD...

Here's the way I see it.  We are a top three team in the east.

Milwaukee, Boston, and Us.   Boston getting Brogdon has helped them a lot.. if he is healthy.   Plus, Boston still has the best offer for KD IMO. 

But I see us being better than Philly Toronto and Miami. 

I agree with you that Miami will come back down to earth.   Their run was based on being healthy and having a strong defense.   Bam and Butler will only get you so far though.  They don't have that guaranteed Bucket that every other team has.  I know Butler seems like it but he's defendable. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

POWER RANKINGS

10. Atlanta Hawks

Major additions: Dejounte Murray (trade), Mo Harkless (trade), Justin Holiday (trade), AJ Griffin (draft), Frank Kaminsky (free agent), Aaron Holiday (free agent)

Major subtractions: Kevin Huerter (Sacramento), Danilo Gallinari (Boston), Kevin Knox (Detroit), Delon Wright (Washington), Gorgui Dieng (San Antonio)

Did this team get better? The Atlanta Hawks had a brilliant offseason and very much improved. The trade for Murray gives them a great complement to Trae Young in the backcourt on both ends of the floor. Losing Huerter and Gallinari can be tough, but bringing in Justin Holiday is a good plug for the perimeter in this rotation. The Hawks knew they couldn’t just bring the group back that disappointed last season under expectations. They needed some new blood, and now they have a real chance to build something dangerous in the loaded Eastern Conference.

Do we like what they did? 🦅 (I know it’s an eagle and not a hawk, but take it up with Apple.)

https://theathletic.com/3447356/2022/08/03/nba-power-rankings-2022-offseason/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Our biggest losses were Gallinari and Wright.  Hopefully we have enough to compensate.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

POWER RANKINGS

10. Atlanta Hawks

It's going to take time to get used to not having Gallo or Kev as those safety valve type's who can bail you out with long range shots, but I really do believe our lineup is better just by sheer volume of defensive minded players compared to years past. Any improvement defensively will lead to more transition opportunities, which should offset any drop off in halfcourt shooting (until the playoffs maybe).

I just think that our entire identity is about to change. No more 2nd unit lags, losing the lead. More defense, more fast breaks. Maybe Dre finally emerges. But JC's numbers could also get a bump with the increased tempo that suits his athletic profile better than fitting in to a halfcourt offense next to Dre and Clint.

There are just so many variables to consider.

Less overlap should equal more defined roles for Bogi, Dre and JC. Clint and OO already know what they're supposed to bring to the table. Everyone else only needs to play defense and hit their shots if left open.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

🤣 my friend always clowns me about this and calls us the chickens 🐔 😂 He’s a 🚀 fan so he’s gonna be quiet for a min. 😂 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

MD...

Here's the way I see it.  We are a top three team in the east.

Milwaukee, Boston, and Us.   Boston getting Brogdon has helped them a lot.. if he is healthy.   Plus, Boston still has the best offer for KD IMO. 

But I see us being better than Philly Toronto and Miami. 

I agree with you that Miami will come back down to earth.   Their run was based on being healthy and having a strong defense.   Bam and Butler will only get you so far though.  They don't have that guaranteed Bucket that every other team has.  I know Butler seems like it but he's defendable. 

Boston improved their depth by a mile in my opinion. That was always my biggest gripe against them, yet somehow they still managed to make the finals. 

Tucker is such a culture guy to me. I really believe the 76ers will jump over the Heat because of that move alone. Embiid's Sixers haven't really ever been "tough", but that will change in '23.

• Admin

I think this all breaks down to chemistry ... if people embrace their roles then this team will do well.  Our 60 win team didn't have a star but had guys who knew their roles and stayed in their lane.  I think Murray will have a huge impact on this team if he and Trae can figure out how to play together.

• Like 2

Mother Nature and Father Time are working on some key players on some of the NBA teams.  Hawks do not have a big problem with this aging problem.  Their problem is on the other end - - Youth that our own Nate doesn't really want to deal with.  Jalen Johnson from last summer and our two draft picks from this summer. 

We here on the Squawk feel that we pretty well know who our starting five will be.  Maybe a Suprise or two may be in store for us.  How the others will fit in and be used has to make us wonder.  Ah, well.  It's a long time from now to the first tipoff of the regular season.

🧑‍🔧Under construction!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, AHF said:

I thought he was going to be an NBA star.  Really liked his game and while he had a perfectly respectable career it wasn't what it seemed it could be.

I've said it before, he and Shaq and Stanley Roberts not contending for an NCAA title was a travesty in coaching.

As a lifelong LSU fan my favorite Dale Brown story is from the 1987 tourney when LSU was playing Indiana.  LSU blew a big 2nd half lead and lost the game.  After the game the press asked Bobby Knight if he was worried they were going to lose when they were down big and he said, “I was worried, but then I looked down to the other end and saw Dale Brown and knew we’d be alright.”

• Haha 2