• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Media Manipulation? (Long)

TRW

• Premium Member

You must be new!

I've learned to block out the 'noise' but I get your frustration.

Our old Hawks ownership group (ASG) did us no favors when it comes to the Hawks perception around the league - players and media alike. 

I first realized this when Shaq wasn't willing to take the vet min to sign with us. He would only come if we gave him the MLE - Why? Cause we were the Hawks. So he signed with Boston for the vet min.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, TRW said:

So Duncan Robinson is better than John Collins or is it just because Collins plays for the Hawks and Robinson plays for Miami. 

Ding ding ding!

43 minutes ago, TRW said:

but an unknown NBA person today said trading Duncan Robinson could get Miami and unprotected 1st Round pick.

That was most likely Pat Riley 😀

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ding ding ding!

That was most likely Pat Riley 😀

No JayBirdHawk, it couldn't be the great Pat Riley. 😀

1 hour ago, TRW said:

Dear Hawksquawkers, I'm a frustrated Atlanta sports fan, so forgive me for my ramblings. I might need a break from this sports things but I'm tired of listening and watching these so called media experts talk about stuff they claim they know and them manipulating situations(flat out lying).

Example #1: Kevin Durant reportedly wants to get traded and he has a list of 5 to 7 teams he would like to get traded to. Surely KD can get out any message he wants at anytime but if KD doesn't like the media (he doesn't IMO) why would he give them his list of teams? I know it was probably reported by his business partner and/or maybe even Brooklyn. Surely Miami and Phoenix are two of those teams but who else is/was really on that list and why are the BSPN and Foxes of the world not covering those other teams.

Example #2: NBA people say John Collins isn't worthy of being traded for a high 1st Round pick but an unknown NBA person today said trading Duncan Robinson could get Miami and unprotected 1st Round pick. So Duncan Robinson is better than John Collins or is it just because Collins plays for the Hawks and Robinson plays for Miami. 

Example #3: One NBA expert says Miami is offering Herro, Robinson, and numerous 1st Round picks for KD and some people actually believe this is good value, but if the Hawks were rumored to send Collins, Capela or OO with numerous 1st Round picks it would be consider bad value.

I can see Pat Riley getting KD in a trade but it's going to take Bam and many more assets, and them probably taking back Ben Simmons also in return.

Example #4: Trae gets elected to start in his first all-star game. The media says it's not right because he shouldn't be starting. The man averaged d@@n near 30 ppg and 10 assists. The main complaint was he didn't deserve it because he was playing on a losing team. Stephen A. said his stats didn't mean anything. Fast forward to next season, Trae gets snubbed but Bradley Beal gets the starting all-star spot and nothing is said about it. The Wizards were terrible. 

What I'm getting at is this: I'm fed up with the media underrating our players when they're on our team but giving them props when they're traded to other teams. Trae Young is a stud but he gets disrespected because he is an Atlanta Hawk. If Trae was playing for the Golden St. Warriors or the Knicks he wouldn't be getting this hate. What has Luka and Ja done that supersedes what Trae Young has done. Absolutely nothing. They are just as bad on defense as Trae but you won't here too many media people say that about them while it's a constant when Trae's name is brought up or mentioned. 

Hopefully one day we'll get back to true journalism rather than this media me first stuff that thrives on throwing sheesh against the wall into it actually sticks.

It's why I coined the term 'yearn-alism' and 'yearn-alists'.

They don't want to report the news, they want to be the news.  They have an idea of what they want to happen, so they 'report' things theyre "hearing" that just happen to fall in line with what they want to happen.  Its madness.

And the selective overrating of certain guys as "assets" is all part of it.  Of course Herro is great return for KD 'cause then they get KD to MIA, which is the story they want.

Casual sports fans just parrot BSPN narratives so they're completely unaware they're being manipulated the whole time.

Journalism is absolutely dead.  The sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be because you just take it all like pro wrestling.  Thats all it is at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Or perhaps Hawksquawk members overrate Hawks players. Fans always think the media has it in for their team. Just like coaches always think the refs are screwing them on every call. Also, the supposedly biased media you deride is not monolithic. If anything, Hawks skeptics were right about us. We weren't as good as we thought we were. Basking in self victimization because you aren't media darlings isn't helpful. 

The Warriors are a great example of how the narrative can change fast and drastically after a championship. The Hawks need a championship first before the chitter chatter will include us more often. It's not the other way around. The media only respects championship teams.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

The Warriors are a

Team that makes a lot of money in the Silicon Valley and uses that to pay Adam Silver for championships. Let’s not get it twisted.

I don’t care how good shooting and ball movement are…a lil sawed off prick like scurry and a hacking Draymond don’t win a title otherwise.

Its important to remember that Adam Silver doesn’t mind trying to turn this into a WWF thing.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

The Warriors are a great example of how the narrative can change fast and drastically after a championship. The Hawks need a championship first before the chitter chatter will include us more often. It's not the other way around. The media only respects championship teams.

You're right. Sustained success changes narratives. Fans like winners. Shiiii.... if we just didn't follow up our ECF run with an injury/covid riddled season, the narrative would have continued to change. Instead, the narrative reverted back to last season is the norm and the ECF run was a fluke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I think it's unfair to paint every Hawks fan as an unabashed, uneducated homer whenever they disagree with something on "outsider" says/does.

Are you willing to make a case that Duncan Robinson is a better asset or player than John Collins?   And are you prepared to suggest anyone who disagrees is "overrating" the Hawks player?

Yes, we're largely pro-Hawks but we're not also idiots too blind to see reality.

It's two different things but you always combine them.  Give us a little bit of credit. 

Or atleast recognize it's a nuanced conversation where everyone already knows things like "the media is not monolithic".  Dude, thats not news.  It's not necessary to specify all that in some 8-page list of disclaimers before every statement made.

Give us just a tiny bit of credit.  Not all of us are dummies.  I can point the dumb ones out, if you need me to. 

I knew that post would trigger you. Grumpy cat scores again. 

At any rate, is a thread whining about the media really necessary? Jeez, just give it a rest. It's not their job to be Hawks homers. 

17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

At any rate, is a thread whining about the media really necessary? Jeez, just give it a rest. It's not their job to be Hawks homers. 

Is a whining post in a thread whining about media really necessary?  Jeez, just give it a rest.  Itsnot your job to combat against Hawks homers.  Just let 'em live, bro-lio. 

Also, am I required to do the 'rent-free' thing since you got me on your mind? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outside of the Braves, Atlanta pro sports are not great.  How long since we had a champion?  Never, that's how long.  WNBA Dream haven't been.  Atlanta Hawks have never been.  They did pretty good year before last.  Atlanta Falcons have been to the Super Bowl twice, Bombed both times.  Because of all this, Atlanta gets no respect.  National sports writers downgrade all of our players, regardless of sport.  We must live with it.  It's there and it will never change until we can simply lick every other team.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule

20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Is a whining post in a thread whining about media really necessary?  Jeez, just give it a rest.  Itsnot your job to combat against Hawks homers.  Just let 'em live, bro-lio. 

Also, am I required to do the 'rent-free' thing since you got me on your mind? 

You could do the "rent free". You wouldn't score very high on originality or wit if you did though. But yes , I will continue to shine a light on needless homerism and self victimization. That being said, if the Hawks do have a legitimate gripe about something, say with the league for example, then I would allow that.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

You could do the "rent free". You wouldn't score very high on originality or wit if you did though. But yes , I will continue to shine a light on needless homerism and self victimization. That being said, if the Hawks do have a legitimate gripe about something, say with the league for example, then I would allow that.

Well you know the schedules gonna be u kind, especially when it comes to TV games, after us faltering last season.  So there will be plenty to beef about.  Hope to see you on the right side on that one.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The local Atlanta media isn't much better nor does the front office help itself by creating or allowing disinformation to be created about the team with the exception of a few players on the team.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So is Duncan Robinson viewed as a better player than John Collins or are some of TRW's points valid?