• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

How do you see it working?

This is an interesting article on the pairing:

If Head Coach Nate McMillan and the Hawks wanted to be even more creative, they could run Horns Out sets, with a point guard stationed as the screeners on each elbow, with layered options for different styles of play initiation that weaponizes the skills of both guards together. Such options could include guard-for-guard screens, Spain screens, or practically endless possibilities to transform the unique combination of point guards into chaos the defense has to solve. The Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves use versions of inverted Horns. The Brooklyn Nets tested the waters on Horns Out with guards as both elbow screeners last year when James Harden was on the team.

But creativity will arguably come in brief bursts, and there may well be a clear hierarchy with Young continuing to run the show most of the time. As it stands, the Hawks already had the second-best half-court offense in the league last year by running a huge portion of corners-filled pick and rolls. Murray could do little more than stand in the corner, and the Hawks would have an elite offense. Murray will arguably help most when Young sits — when the Hawks’ offense plummeted. But the trade makes the most sense on the other side of the floor. 

A vital defensive boost

Defensively, Young has never been able to compensate for his lack of size or strength. He has never even cracked the 30th percentile in defensive on/offs, and the Hawks were 4.2 points per 100 possessions worse last season on the defensive end with Young playing. Neither have the Hawks been able to compensate for Young. Atlanta had the 26th-best half-court defense last year — because Young plays a lot. (The Hawks were slightly above average on the defensive end with Young on the bench.)  

Murray should help dramatically. He’s an elite ball stealer, shot blocker, and rebounder at the guard spot. Young has never played alongside an off-ball guard with his incredible athletic gifts. (The closest would probably have been Kris Dunn in 2020-21, but due to injury Dunn played in only four games. The two never shared the court.) Murray is 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-10 wingspan, giving him enough size and length to switch far down the positional spectrum. Last year, the Spurs were 2.4 points per 100 possessions stingier on the defensive end with Murray playing. No guard on a Young-led Hawks team has ever reached that mark while playing at least 1000 minutes (10-15 minutes per game) in a season. 

https://theallstar.io/trae-young-dejounte-murray-an-unprecedented-pairing/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget.  In our playoff series last season, our opponent figured out how to completely stop the Hawks.  They made us look bad every game and the Hawks won only one game.  Now, every NBA team is aware of this plan.  Hawks have really messed up their plans.  A different team takes the floor for Atlanta!

🧑‍🔧

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The closest would be Lillard and McCollum most likely.

We have last year’s 3rd and 4th highest assist average guys in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in Trae and DM respectively.

Look it up, that’s never happened.

It's insane!   

Our offense was good last year, except the 4th quarter when it counts.  Having two closers instead of one has got to be a difference maker.  

I'm pumped to watch DejounTrae.  It reminds me of Chris Paul and Harden.  I remember Dantoni laughing at figuring out how that could possibly work.  Are you kidding?  We'll somehow figure out how two generational guys can play together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
On 6/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, theheroatl said:

DejounTrae.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:02 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

or TraeJounte??

On 6/30/2022 at 11:07 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Just tell me which one to use.  I think we need a 'pole'

57 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Did you say .... 😵

I'm stealing this but will give you credit for it.

Still waiting for the official nickname poll.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Just did a search and found this word first appeared on 6/23 by akay.  Second mention was Threezus.  

There's no stopping this nickname, though.  

How about I give you credit for it then you fight it out with them 2 dudes.

Everybody wins?

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

I agree 100%. I don't expect our offense to be significantly better than it was for most of the season (sans playoffs) last year when both are on the floor together. When Trae sits and Murray runs the point with the backups  next to Bogi, I expect a huge offensive boost there, and defense overall in both units should be significantly improved too. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Perfect fit on paper 📑 but as we all know games aren’t played on paper 📄.…. Clichés and more…

They complete each other on the court as far as attributes and if both don’t have the skill at least one does but I. This case they seem to be a couple of pretty confident, skilled and mature young men.

Again @JayBirdHawk we got your boy and I know you know your ball, you wouldn’t want a knucklehead like Damian Jones or anything.. 🏃‍♀️ :laugh1:

No but I’m excited. I think we all quite excited. As Burd pointed out before on a post, we haven’t had a DM type in a while, if ever. JJ had the O but not the D, Smitty the same, Augmon the opposite, ya I don’t remember this type of a player for us.

I’d like to add that DM’s D also unleashes Hunter and Big O’s D’s.. :er: (that’s a lotta D) AND CAP 🧢 How could I forget Ah Capela, yes unleashes his too.

@RedDawg#8 and I noticed that it could also be the first duo point guard starting combo in the league.

Curry and Klay..Wall and Beal.. Nah

The closest would be Lillard and McCollum most likely.

We have last year’s 3rd and 4th highest assist average guys in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in Trae and DM respectively.

Look it up, that’s never happened.

If this happened in the old days..

It would be the equivalent of a Gary Payton/Jason Kidd type backcourt. Both are electrifying playmakers while being able to put it in the hole themselves whenever they please.

I’m pretty excited and probably will be using this gif a lot during games.

image.gif.e82f4838d2127a42b5d3612291b8401a.gif

chris paul and james harden in terms of assists

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AHF said:

I vote for whatever nickname will send sturt off the rails.  Maybe The Iceman, Pistol Murray, Air Hunter, the Baptist and The Admiral for our starters?

How bout Dejounte “Flip” Murray? Not to be mistaken with Ronald. Sturt can’t be mad at that… can he? 

Doc Murray? I MEAN GLENn.. :boxing:

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I vote for whatever nickname will send sturt off the rails.  Maybe The Iceman, Pistol Murray, Air Hunter, the Baptist and The Admiral for our starters?

I see someone woke up and chose violence today. 🤭

Twigg Violence GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by marco102
  • Haha 4