• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

On 9/14/2022 at 11:31 PM, MarylandHawk said:

I want to know who was the point guard on Trae’s HS teams. Must have been a bad mofo to push Trae to the two. 

Probably just a smaller guy who could make sure that Trae got the ball. 

A lot of high school teams are actually small. So for a 6-1 Trae to be the 2, wouldn't be unusual.

What that probably says though, is that they had no other legit scorers on the team. So having Trae play the 2 ( as a scoring combo guard ) was probably the right call.

This was 30 yrs ago, but here was our lineup in high school

Me: 5-9 ( pure passer) 

2-gauard: 6-4 ( pure shooter )

F: 6-1 ( athletic defender ) 

F: 6-1 ( athletic slasher )

F: 6-3 ( post player )

So our biggest guy was our best shooter. And our athletes were our best defenders and rebounder.

Trae would definitely play the 2 on my team, with my job being to get him, and our 6-4 shooter the ball. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This was 30 yrs ago, but here was our lineup in high school

Me: 5-9 ( pure passer) 

2-gauard: 6-4 ( pure shooter )

F: 6-1 ( athletic defender ) 

F: 6-1 ( athletic slasher )

F: 6-3 ( post player )

So our biggest guy was our best shooter. And our athletes were our best defenders and rebounder.

Trae would definitely play the 2 on my team, with my job being to get him, and our 6-4 shooter the ball. 

People dont realize how uncommon it is to be 6'7 and up. Less than a fraction of 1% of men are 6'7" or taller. 

• Like 2

Everything is different.  Yet it's all the same.  Red Velvet is gone.  Murray has arrived.  We are all hoping to see Jalen Johnson as one of the regular rotation players.  Starters from last season?  Yep.  Mostly still around.

Bench.  This looks different, kinda.  Traded one of our big men.  Added another big man.  Rotating Trae and Murray means one of them probably plays a lot of minutes with the bench.  If they both start and play a lot together, we must have a PG with the bench.

Decesions!  Decesions!  Where do all the pieces fit in this picture puzzle?  What about our two rookie draft picks?  Where do they fit in all of this?  I assume they will both see some action.

Then there are all the new additions.  Ready or not, here we come!

🧑‍🔧

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Love this!

Dejounte has no plans to proceed quietly in situations where he believes his candor can improve the team.

"I think I'm being vocal. I'm just a natural leader. I'm not holding back. Coach doesn't want me to hold back. My teammates don't want me to hold back. If they see something from me, they can explain it to me and move on. If I see something, I'm going to speak up, because at the end of the day, we all have the same goals. We want to bring the best out of one another." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

If Trae can continue to shoot over 90% from the line and keep the assist to turn around his current 2.88:1 (2.42:1 last season) I’d consider that a rousing success of a season alone.  Those two factors drive his offensive impact the most.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Dejounte reminds me of a player from the past, I can’t put my finger on it but when he glides around specially after a steal on a breakaway… I can’t put my finger on who though.. it’s a bit Pippen like but that’s not it, it’s somebody else. 

@JayBirdHawk Your boy is amazing. I remember you scouting him up to a few years ago, foresight was excellent, prolly the best pairing for Trae of any player. BURD from waaaayyy downtownnnn BAAAAAAAAAANNNNGGGGG!!!!!!! :applause: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Dejounte reminds me of a player from the past, I can’t put my finger on it but when he glides around specially after a steal on a breakaway… I can’t put my finger on who though.. it’s a bit Pippen like but that’s not it, it’s somebody else. 

@JayBirdHawk Your boy is amazing. I remember you scouting him up to a few years ago, foresight was excellent, prolly the best pairing for Trae of any player. BURD from waaaayyy downtownnnn BAAAAAAAAAANNNNGGGGG!!!!!!! :applause: 

Could you mean "Plastic man?"

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2