• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

On 10/23/2022 at 5:06 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

People are still not comfortable with him taking shots from 28+ feet.  As long as he shoots those shots in rhythm, they don't bother me anymore.

They really bothered me in his rookie season, when he would settle for that shot and not attack.  But he ends up doing a mixture of both.

If anything, he should try to get himself going first with shots in the paint, then start firing the bombs.

Sam Mitchell hates those shots.. He was going off on NBA TV.. lol. I hate when he's on there btw.. So annoying..

Edited by terrell

1 hour ago, terrell said:

DJM

"I think We took Charlotte lightly with their main guys out and didnt play with enough energy"

Trae Young when asked about it..

"Not me personally...Kelly Oubre has been there a while"

smh

Man, I am so happy Dejounte is here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Huh? Sam is the man, I could listen to him talk basketball 🏀 all day, he knows his stuff.

Much rather listen to Smitty and Greg Anthony.. Sam and Channing Frye get on my nerves... But to each his own..

• Premium Member

From Nate's Radio Interview Today:

Question: who's the guy bringing the team together on the court (when things get disconnected)

Answer: I gotta find that guy! That guy, that voice, that comes out and talk about what we need to do on the floor. Gotta find that guy!

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, shakes said:

so far I've been impressed with DJM as a defensive stopper and a 1v1 midrange/drive scorer, but been extremely disappointed with him as a PG running the offense.

Yeah it hasn't been great with him leading the second unit. Same 'ole same 'ole this year with the offense stalling when Trae is not on the court.

I think a lot of it has to do with the personnel surrounding DJ on that second unit rather than an indictment on DJ himself. Imagine Huerter on the wing instead of A. Holiday in these lineups.... But I digress, getting Bogi back eventually will be a huge help. But for the time being, Nate needs to try mixing up his personnel. Throw the rook out there, Nate!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Yeah it hasn't been great with him leading the second unit. Same 'ole same 'ole this year with the offense stalling when Trae is not on the court.

I think a lot of it has to do with the personnel surrounding DJ on that second unit rather than an indictment on DJ himself. Imagine Huerter on the wing instead of A. Holiday in these lineups.... But I digress, getting Bogi back eventually will be a huge help. But for the time being, Nate needs to try mixing up his personnel. Throw the rook out there, Nate!

yea the personnel sucks on the 2nd unit, but I expect an all star PG to take over in that scenario and dominate the ball, run the offense and look for his own shots.  But he's been deferring to   AHoliday and standing in the corner rather than spearheading the attack.  Very confusing,

• Like 1

If bogi gets healthy on his knee which he said has been bothering him for 4 years, and he can shoot like he did in 20-21, its going to be a whhole other thing, hopefully this knee can be behind him and we can get a few years of that version of him.  Would be super if we could. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Both Trae and DJM are playing too many minutes right now. I would be happier if they maxed out at 35 mins a game this early in the season.  Bogi will help with that, but in the meantime AJ can take some of few of those mins off of their plate. 

Post-game last night, Nate said the starters are playing too many minutes, so the bench needs to step up and give positive production to give the starters more rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Post-game last night, Nate said the starters are playing too many minutes, so the bench needs to step up and give positive production to give the starters more rest.

That’s easy Nate. Play AJ, go from 9 to 10-man. 
Also, Dre is only getting 30 mins a game, I think he can handle a few more.

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

AJ needs to hit his jersey # for 14 min tomorrow against the Pistons.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, Diesel said:

Most of the people who say that say that because they don't like the logo three. 

If the logo three is what Trae needs to keep him going, I say let him have it.   We're talking about a 30/10 player.   He's a freakin UNICORN.   If he could walk on water, they'd say his shoes be too wet. 

He's a freakin UNICORN!!

This fanbase can be ridiculous sometimes.   Trae marks all the boxes for a generational star and the fanbase still have the nerve to criticize. 

He gets a long leash with me.  As long as he is shooting at a high percentage, top 5 in assists, and oh yeah leading the league in assist/turnover ratio.   

image.png.7b1fee869a09a1a53f55ac8e2b05507c.png

Am I being too much of a homer to think that some of the stuff he's criticized over actually allows him to get the results he does?  If he never shoots early in the clock his defender is able to better anticipate and predict what he's doing.  Establishing a threat to shoot early in the clock or long threes keeps the defense off balance.  It's like running a reverse in football, change direction, and force the defense to cover more options.

As far as Trae being a generational talent.  It could be as a 4 level scorer plus league's best playmaker.  He is already on a very short list of 50+ 30/10 games after only 4 seasons.  He's passing Magic this year on that list this year.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

As far as Trae being a generational talent.  It could be as a 4 level scorer plus league's best playmaker.  He is already on a very short list of 50+ 30/10 games after only 4 seasons.  He's passing Magic this year on that list this year.  

Comparing stats between players of different eras is a pointless and completely flawed exercise.

• Like 2