• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JTB said:

It’s like no one wants to hear you!…I know that feeling! Lol

Agreed 100%….that’s why I’m pushing for Ayton in a straight up 1 for 1 deal with Capela going back to Phx. But I would also take a serious look at Kristaps Porzingis . KP not a low post threat but his spacing makes Trae and DJ better low post threats.

I’d consider KAT but I don’t understand why we’d give up an asset like Murray when we don’t have too.

I’d much rather keep Murray and add a true offensive weapon at the 5 who can still rim protect but add value on offensive end other then being a lob threat.

@JTB

Believe me, nobody misses the talent from Ayton.  He was a first pick overall.  However, what we also see (that you don't see) is that he is a malcontent.  He sabotages his team by not giving effort.   It doesn't matter what the reason, he doesn't give effort...  I would take 10 JCs over Ayton because even when JC is unhappy with his roll, he goes out and gives you effort. 

It becomes about Character. 

You're thinking about all the good things we can get from a player like Ayton.   What I'm saying is that you're only going to get what he feels like giving.   He's not going to give you his all.   It's not in his character.   He's going to give you just enough.  A metered amount.   And he doesn't have enough pride about winning to give you more than that.  We see it in Phoenix. 

I copied a little of the scouting report coming out of Arizona...

Needs to do a better job guarding against the pick and roll. Can sometimes lose his man … Needs to do better as a help defender … Can get flat footed at times … And seemed to look to preserve energy (and fouls) on the defensive end … While capable of scoring at all three levels, jumper (inparticular shot selection) still needs improvement … Tends to shoot it a bit short and at times can rush his shot … Needs to follow through and also look to improve his touch around the basket … Needs to do a better job of commanding the ball inside and establishing position. 

This is not all that was mentioned, but these are effort things.  He won't give the effort.  That's been known since UA.  There are others that questions his aggressiveness.   The point is we have a team who are trying to go somewhere.  A guy that has been called "Big for nothing" is not somebody who will help us get there.  I'd rather try to get Portis or Lopez. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Analyzing Dejounte Murray's Impact in his first season in Atlanta

Two seasons ago, the Hawks earned a pair of stirring Play-In Tournament wins over Charlotte and Cleveland to advance to a first-round series against the top-seeded Miami Heat in the 2022 NBA Playoffs.  

The Heat won that series in five games, in part because the Hawks sustained some injuries to the frontcourt, but also in part because they focused an undue amount of defensive attention on Trae Young. The Heat constantly guarded Trae with one player while a pair of others crept in from the sides to wall off Trae's angle of attack. 

While the loss may have been a frustrating one, at least it showed what the Hawks needed going forward: a second-side playmaker, someone who could balance the offense while also running it when Trae rested.

Enter Dejounte Murray.

After the Hawks acquired the 26-year-old guard in an offseason trade with the Spurs, he came to Atlanta and had one of his best seasons, setting career highs in field-goal percentage and free-throw percentage, while also connecting from deep on a career-best 133 threes.

In the process, Trae and Dejounte became just the second set of NBA teammates ever to average 20+ points and 6+ assists per game while playing 70 or more games, joining Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen on the 1991-92 Chicago Bulls.

Dejounte also helped the Hawks get to the postseason for a third consecutive season.

"When the trade happened," Murray said, "that was a goal of mine: to get to the postseason and experience it."

Once again, the path to the postseason took the Hawks to Miami to face the same team that bested them in the playoffs the season before (and the team that currently sits one game from advancing to the NBA Finals in the East). His 18 points, 6 assists, and 5 rebounds figured prominently in the Play-In win, and his presence diversified the offense right from the outset in the first quarter.When Trae drove and the Heat defense collapsed to bracket him with three bodies, Dejounte sat ready as a dual threat shoot-or-drive option waiting on the wing. Here, he took Trae's pass and hit a three.

Moments later, Dejounte ran the transition offense from the middle of the floor, allowing Trae to 1) attack before the defense was set and 2) attack from the side where fewer players could come over to help on defense. 

In the same first-quarter stint, the bracketing came back once again – this time with four bodies (!) – and just like the first time, Trae found Dejounte in the corner for a successful three. 

And the offense kept humming when Trae rested, as Dejounte used the point guard skills that he developed in San Antonio to run the show.

Overall, Dejounte did a great job adjusting to a new role, and as he took care to point out, it was his second such change in two seasons.

"I pride myself in playing the right way," Murray said. "It was a big challenge after having the ball in my hands in San Antonio. (It was kept) quiet really, but that was my first year being a point guard. Before that it was similar to here. Last year was the year where Coach Pop was like, 'We're going to put the ball in your hands and see what you can do.' I feel like I took that challenge, and I did well. Obviously, coming to Atlanta was another challenge. But that's the kind of person I am. I want all challenges. I don't want nothing easy. Adversity is what really builds you."

After one season with Trae and two months under new Head Coach Quin Snyder, Dejounte said that he wants the developing chemistry to keep growing.

"You take the good, the bad – and just the journey – and you enjoy it." he said. "A great story doesn't happen overnight. Success doesn't happen overnight. There are a lot of downs and a lot of days that you have to grind it out and figure it out, you know? It takes getting to know each other off the floor and having a bunch of practice time together. You don't just go out and play in the games and have chemistry. It starts off the floor in practices, and then it translates to the games."

The path to being a great winning team is a long one, but Dejounte sees the vision.

"We're on the right road to that, and I definitely see that the best days are ahead."

https://www.nba.com/hawks/news/analyzing-dejounte-murrays-impact-in-his-first-season-in-atlanta

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Gilbert Arenas didn't hold back from roasting the Atlanta Hawks after Trae Young suggested that he wanted to win a championship with the franchise. On Arenas' podcast, "Gil's Arena," Young claimed he would get respect once he brings title success to the Hawks.

Arenas had doubts about the two-time All-Star winning in Atlanta.

Ouch! Sad that it's about how willing the teams owner is willing to spend.

"You're gonna do that in Atlanta? Nah I'm just saying, who's the owner, he got money? You know they gotta pay! You gotta pay to get to championships."

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/5/2023 at 9:23 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae Young airs belief with Dejounte Murray to become NBA’s best backcourt combo

https://www.talkbasket.net/169577-trae-young-airs-belief-with-dejounte-murray-to-become-leagues-best-backcourt-combo?amp=1

It’s this belief that gives me hope.  We have players who actually want to win here instead of ring chase hoping the grass is greener somewhere else.

On 8/5/2023 at 4:37 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Gilbert Arenas didn't hold back from roasting the Atlanta Hawks after Trae Young suggested that he wanted to win a championship with the franchise. On Arenas' podcast, "Gil's Arena," Young claimed he would get respect once he brings title success to the Hawks.

Arenas had doubts about the two-time All-Star winning in Atlanta.

Ouch! Sad that it's about how willing the teams owner is willing to spend.

Arenas is crazy but this is the absolute truth.  It is pay to play Tony.  I hope you are willing to pay for a winner.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

1 in 365?

lol, yeah, probably marginally higher taking into account distribution of birthdays across the year.  Also, if you step back and look at the odds any two teammates will have the same birthday on a 15 man roster, it's roughly 1 in 4.  Include 8 coaches in there, and there's a >50% chance two of that group of players and coaches will share the same birthday.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

1 in 365?

37 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

lol, yeah, probably marginally higher taking into account distribution of birthdays across the year.  Also, if you step back and look at the odds any two teammates will have the same birthday on a 15 man roster, it's roughly 1 in 4.  Include 8 coaches in there, and there's a >50% chance two of that group of players and coaches will share the same birthday.  

Not a stretch to think any two teammates have the same birthday.  I wouldn't imagine the odds of having any two pillars (all-stars/highly productive) in their prime (under 30) on the same team, starting in the backcourt together are very high - particularly after trading for one to be exactly that.

...or maybe this kind of thing just happens all willy-nilly because apparently, at one point the Mavericks had three point guards with the same birthday IN THE SAME YEAR. 😅

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Not a stretch to think any two teammates have the same birthday.  I wouldn't imagine the odds of having any two pillars (all-stars/highly productive) in their prime (under 30) on the same team, starting in the backcourt together are very high - particularly after trading for one to be exactly that.

...or maybe this kind of thing just happens all willy-nilly because apparently, at one point the Mavericks had three point guards with the same birthday IN THE SAME YEAR. 😅

Had to look:

Deron Williams, Jose Juan Barea, and Raymond Felton were all born on June 26, 1984

• Like 1

• 1 month later...