• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Reposting this here from the trade thread:

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Circling back to this. I think in Nate's my turn, your turn mid-range offense, he saw ample time at PG which was most likely what he promised.

Enter Quin with his PhD offense which requires a little 'more' - he's not getting as much time at PG with Trae? Quin seems to have made that decision that he wants the ball in Trae's hand. DJ having difficulty adjusting?

Interesting to note that DJ is playing 2 mpg less than last season, while Trae is playing 2 mpg more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In addition to not spreading the floor, CC clogs the lane.  I’ve been ready for a change there for a while.  He has real talent so should be able to be a better fit somewhere else.  The question is how to replace him because OO has not stepped up and gets physically outmatched by a lot of centers which is something I had hoped would not be the case this year.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, AHF said:

In addition to not spreading the floor, CC clogs the lane.  I’ve been ready for a change there for a while.  He has real talent so should be able to be a better fit somewhere else.  The question is how to replace him because OO has not stepped up and gets physically outmatched by a lot of centers which is something I had hoped would not be the case this year.

We've out grown CC. 

We are asking Trae to evolve his game, so must our Center position. It's time to find out what OO is or isn't as the possible starter. With the way the season is unfolding, IT'S TIME. Let the chips fall where they may

[Last TDL, this past  offseason, now this TDL - the more we keep floating our players name and do nothing the more we lower their value. Rip off the bandaid.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We've out grown CC. 

We are asking Trae to evolve his game, so must our Center position. It's time to find out what OO is or isn't as the possible starter. With the way the season is unfolding, IT'S TIME. Let the chips fall where they may

[Last TDL, this past  offseason, now this TDL - the more we keep floating our players name and do nothing the more we lower their value. Rip off the bandaid.]

Sadly, that Cleveland game where OO started at center and gave up 17 points to Jarrett Allen in the first quarter alone really soured me on the prospect of OO being a starter.  I know that is a single game but he was dominated so badly by a very mid starting center (Allen is good but nothing very special) and just absolutely physically outmatched by a run of the mill 6'11'' big man that my gut says OO is a matchup dependent 6th man big man type for the future.  He can be paired against certain centers and forwards but I don't have confidence in him as a possible starter.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Sadly, that Cleveland game where OO started at center and gave up 17 points to Jarrett Allen in the first quarter alone really soured me on the prospect of OO being a starter.  I know that is a single game but he was dominated so badly by a very mid starting center (Allen is good but nothing very special) and just absolutely physically outmatched by a run of the mill 6'11'' big man that my gut says OO is a matchup dependent 6th man big man type for the future.  He can be paired against certain centers and forwards but I don't have confidence in him as a possible starter.

Oh I get it.  That one game was brutal, didnt help having Bey at at PF. At some point I want to see the training wheels off.  We won't know what we don't know until we see it play out.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Oh I get it.  That one game was brutal, didnt help having Bey at at PF. At some point I want to see the training wheels off.  We won't know what we don't know until we see it play out.

My focus at this point is having our team ready to compete next year so I'm not opposed to it even if our record stinks and we just get a better lottery pick this season.  I'd hope we do something like trade for Robert Williams if that is the case so we do have more depth there for next year if we go down that route.  I'm high on him other than the fact that he can't stay healthy which is obviously a huge deal.  When you miss time you not only contribute nothing to the team, you throw off the rotation for everyone else covering for you which frequently makes the whole team worse than they would otherwise be.  We can't have a situation where RW gets hurt and OO is suddenly having to guard every 7 footer because we didn't cover ourselves.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but If we can get Trae back and Clint is for whatever reason seems to be doing better and possibly Trae can integrate with how the guys are playing now , could be a big difference 

Trae basically needs.to be ramping up now though but there doesn't seem to be any indication of that 

RDT_20240404_1234527276430608597117223.jpg

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Clint coming alive makes a big difference to the team regardless of who else is playing.  The correlation between how well he is playing and how often the team is winning is strong over the last several years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Clint coming alive makes a big difference to the team regardless of who else is playing.  The correlation between how well he is playing and how often the team is winning is strong over the last several years.

This just underscores the thought that we desperately need to upgrade the center position either through the draft or trade.  I always liked Clint, but he's lost a step and, to me, cannot be trusted to be elite consistently.  

It's like that old country song......"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was."  That's Clint.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, mountainjim said:

Clint misses more 2 footers off the glass than any pro I have ever seen. Yes, want an upgrade badly.

Ever seen Tree Rollins?  Most of Tree's shots were dunks tho.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 1/15/2024 at 7:29 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

We've out grown CC. 

It is time to stop spending all of the money and draft capital on guards period.  Clint has to be replaced and OO is not a starting center.  Get an fing 7 footer and be done with it!  We've passed on too many big men over the last 5-6 years to get very little out of the wing player selected or signed.  Wake up Front office!

6 hours ago, Bonzaii58 said:

Good stuff.  Loving hearing these dudes talk life and how much they love each other and their teammates.  Reassuring that the media garbage is just that...garbage.  

Interesting things:

• When they adamantly stated they are both PGs (and not the GMs or Coaches)
  • Bruno being the guy that plays hardest in practice ("gotta work for them minutes")
  • Pop's text to DJ after the C's game. LOL
  • Trae saying he gotta play D in order to come at guys for not playing D
  • Like 3