• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks Backcourt: Trae and Dejounte

JayBirdHawk

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can we stop with the 'they don't fit' narrative? They don't need to be perfect, just play off each other's strengths.

Atlanta has been pretty good with Young and Murray on the floor together, outscoring opponents by 3.8 points per 100 possessions, according to data from pbpstats.com. The Hawks have been bad when Murray plays without Young (minus-6.58 net rating) and slightly worse when Young plays without Murray (minus-6.62).

I'd be curious to see what these numbers are for just January.  

• Premium Member
On 1/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Can we stop with the 'they don't fit' narrative? They don't need to be perfect, just play off each other's strengths.

Atlanta has been pretty good with Young and Murray on the floor together, outscoring opponents by 3.8 points per 100 possessions, according to data from pbpstats.com. The Hawks have been bad when Murray plays without Young (minus-6.58 net rating) and slightly worse when Young plays without Murray (minus-6.62).

These wild splits point to a sorry bench... Neither Young nor Murray are able to get production out of them consistently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SalvorMallow said:

These wild splits point to a sorry bench... Neither Young nor Murray are able to get production out of them consistently. 

First ten games or so we didn’t play AJ or Bogi.  Then Capela and Hunter go down.  The bench units probably look better recently.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Im about halfway through. Really good interview.

Glad we have this voice in the locker room now. Especially with all the outside noise. 

Bitter a** Spurs fans on rgm straight killing this interview.  Calling him childish, immature, etc.  Typical stuff since they all called him as such when he left.  Really weird stuff from them.  Textbook jilted lover syndrome in Texas it seems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Bitter a** Spurs fans on rgm straight killing this interview.  Calling him childish, immature, etc.  Typical stuff since they all called him as such when he left.  Really weird stuff from them.  Textbook jilted lover syndrome in Texas it seems.

It's crazy.   All of a sudden drafting, signing, playing, rehabbing injuries are all acts of charity by the Spurs not the result of a really good player playing for them.   Maybe they should give our draft picks back in protest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Everyone is aware that Nate only uses a nine man rotation.  Check the box score.  In our last game, the nine who were not starting were:

Griffin, Johnson, Capela and Bogie

Is this the "sorry bench" that we are referring to?  Looks pretty good to me.

Hawks have never been this healthy before.  Always, or so it seems, we have a key player or two missing from the rotation.  This appears to be where the "sorry" bench comes from.

Remember, with the current bench, we won!

:smug:

8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Im about halfway through. Really good interview.

Glad we have this voice in the locker room now. Especially with all the outside noise. 

Bill Simmons with Justin Termine this week were talking about franchises in no man's land and the Hawks were one of 6.  Termine said that DJM was on par with the Rudy Gobert trade in WOAT territory.  One thing I can say about that trade is people need to realize that Charlotte 1st is not gonna convert.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Bill Simmons with Justin Termine this week were talking about franchises in no man's land and the Hawks were one of 6.  Termine said that DJM was on par with the Rudy Gobert trade in WOAT territory.  One thing I can say about that trade is people need to realize that Charlotte 1st is not gonna convert.  

Also,  the pick swaps probably won't happen either.  Well, if we continue to play like this  in future years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Also,  the pick swaps probably won't happen either.  Well, if we continue to play like this  in future years.

So, best case scenario, we got DJM for Gallinari (who we didn't plan on keeping at another $20 million for this year) plus two FRPs in '25 and '27, hopefully in the 20s.
I'll take it.  

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well this is unfortunate.  Maybe we need to get a real bench PG to organize the bench better.

I think as a community we could all reach a consensus that the most surprising thing about DJM is that he's actually not a good point guard.  He's a 2.    His passing in the PNR is really bad or at least it looks that way when you're used to watching the master run it for the past 4 years.

More reason why @Diesel is right in saying that the ball should be in Trae's hands all the time.  I would only let DJM run the point as an emergency when teams are selling out to stop Trae.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well this is unfortunate.  Maybe we need to get a real bench PG to organize the bench better.

Maybe it's 'cause Mary can't dribble... or pass.  Some of his losing the ball reminds me of kg03's 9yo bball games.

I saw Hunter on the bench like, "Like, dang dude, did you just dribble off your own calf?"

Meanwhile, after one of his lob "passes", Collins was like "Aye dude, who you think I am?  Elastigirl?" 

😄

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, shakes said:

His passing in the PNR is really bad or at least it looks that way when you're used to watching the master run it for the past 4 years.

His passing in the PNR is different than Trae's.   He's used to pocket passes which ends up risking turnovers from people who swipe the same way that he does.   However, there's no learning curve for the bigs... to grab a pocket pass and go up.    Trae learned his in traffic passing by his father using brooms to force him to make great lobs.   Trae's PNR is a pinpoint lob.  How pinpoint...  the other night, he through a lob to Clint that ended up going in on it's own... as most of them could.    Trae has balanced his lob with his floater and that has allowed him to keep defenses off guard.   At the same time, there's a learning curve for Bigs to play PNR with Trae.   This is what we see with OO.   OO doesn't get it.    Playing with the Ball brothers never allowed him to learn how to catch and finish a lob.  Trae will give you lob city.   OO will catch the lob, bring it back down to organize and go back up.   That why he doesn't finish a lot of the lobs that Trae gives him.  You can visible see Trae get mad everytime he does that.   Mainly because Trae put it in position that all OO has to do is just guide it in. 

So yes, Trae is the master of the PNR for today's time.   Stockton is still the King and maybe Nash/Young a close second.     But it leads to Trae having the GOAT FLOAT.

2ndly...

I was surprised how bad DJM's footwork and passing has been.   He's a high level playground PG.  But he's transitioning to an off guard which is what I believe would be best for him.  AHoli runs the offense a little better but is just not as talented. 

• Premium Member

What surprised me about DJ - a very high dribble, a very loose handle, cannot throw a lob to save his life, doesn't draw fouls (those shoulders should be able to take a bump for finishing thru contact), not driving the paint as much as I remember in SAS (they had more floor spreaders though), his rebounding (though he has recently picked it up.).  Still rather have him than not.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 1:15 AM, SalvorMallow said:

The bench is trash. I think we all know depth is our biggest issue and the reason why this isn't an easy fit is we would have to pay the LT

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Apparently the other players in the NBA are not too impressed with our backcourt.  Below are the results from the players' vote for the all star game for the Eastern  conference guard position.  Trae 12th and DJ not even on the list.   

1. Kyrie
2.Mitch
3. Jaylen brown
4. Demar
5. Harden
6. Haliburton
7.Garland
8.Brunson
9.Lamelo
10. Jrue
11. Zach
12. Trae