• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 3-point Conundrum

JayBirdHawk

Don't want to start a new thread for this so will just post here...

Thus far in the playoffs, there have been 47 games.  Of the 47 winning teams, 35 of them (nearly 75%) have had equal or more 3pt FGM.  If I recall, there were 2 pushes where winner and loser had the same number of Makes.   

In the 2nd round, teams are 4-0 when MAKING more 3s. 

Hawks HAVE to fill the roster with guys that can MAKE shots next year.  It's just the way of the NBA in 2023.  Obviously you CAN still win without making more 3s than your opponent, but it's A LOT less likely and harder to do.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 5/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, REHawksFan said:

Don't want to start a new thread for this so will just post here...

Thus far in the playoffs, there have been 47 games.  Of the 47 winning teams, 35 of them (nearly 75%) have had equal or more 3pt FGM.  If I recall, there were 2 pushes where winner and loser had the same number of Makes.   

In the 2nd round, teams are 4-0 when MAKING more 3s. 

Hawks HAVE to fill the roster with guys that can MAKE shots next year.  It's just the way of the NBA in 2023.  Obviously you CAN still win without making more 3s than your opponent, but it's A LOT less likely and harder to do.  

To add on to this:

Teams are now 5-2 in the 2nd round when they MAKE more 3s than the opponent.  

On Tuesday:

Knicks were -1 but still won on the backs of being +9 on FTM

LAL were -15!!! but still won on the backs of being +20 on FTM

As an aside, I think the knicks and lakers have combined to win 5 or 6 games now when they make fewer 3pt shots than the opponent.  A combination of defense and being able to get to the FT line a lot more than the opponent.  

Hawks have some "pretty good" three point shooters.  Bogie is our best.  Trae runs hot and cold.  AJ Griffin has the making of a really good one.  

P&R excites the fans.  When you are going down and make the 2 and your opponent goes down and hits a three, soon you are far behind, swapping baskets.

Most Hawk players except Capela have hit a three in NBA games.  None of the others are expected to make a lot of them, just Bogie and Trae.  I expect more stress to be put on the team next season to shoot the three ball.

:smug:

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Thought that was an obvious joke. The offense that scored the most was also undefeated.  

I thought it was funny and didn't read it as a shot at anyone.  Kind of like suggesting a game plan of scoring more than the other team.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Thought that was an obvious joke. The offense that scored the most was also undefeated.  

Haha, you just got Chris Rock'd. 😄

I hope you two can bury the hatchet.  We need the squawk to be vegetarian, no beef.  Maybe I'll even settle my beef with ... ah, nevermind, guess we gotta have some beefs. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, you just got Chris Rock'd. 😄

I hope you two can bury the hatchet.  We need the squawk to be vegetarian, no beef.  Maybe I'll even settle my beef with ... ah, nevermind, guess we gotta have some beefs. 

What would a message board be like without any beefs?  Is that what the Milwaukee boards are like?  

"Excellent analysis, Jim.  I should probably reconsider my view at this point, and then I'll get back to you after I've given this more thought." 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

What would a message board be like without any beefs?  Is that what the Milwaukee boards are like?  

"Excellent analysis, Jim.  I should probably reconsider my view at this point, and then I'll get back to you after I've given this more thought." 

The Milwaukee boards sound great.  I bet there's not even anyone there keeping receipts on all the draft picks I got wrong either.  Lookin at you, burd. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/21/2023 at 6:49 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm gonna blame most (99.9% 😆) of  the 3 point struggles on Nate. I think he deemphasized the 3 in practice, game planning and scheme and in bled over into the games. The hesitancy of players to just shoot the ball with instinct made them second guess the attempt. Trae indicated the entire team is getting used to Quin wanting them to shoot when open instead of waiting for a closeout and attacking for a midrange shot.(thanks Nate). Hunter's 4th turnover in G2 was a microcosm of what he was used to doing under Nate vs what Quin wants.

Keep your eyes on Quin:

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media/2023/04/18/0042200112/290/ebf3594c-1d28-29e9-b9c8-b10ad1e3b8af_1280x720.mp4

Reading thru this thread again- I'm annoyed - again. :blanky:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Reading thru this thread again- I'm annoyed - again. :blanky:

You were 100% correct too, it was so obvious watching them play and how they acted when catching a pass behind the arc.  Hunter looked like a deer in headlights every time until he'd barrel around into a 20 foot jumper.  Trae started falling in love with off-balance middies... DJ put in good work but that's his bread and butter anyways.  It will be very refreshing to see the offense go to work under Quin.  I expect pace to increase and more touches all around.  At one point last year, we had made the fewest passes of any team... Nate's philosophy was use Trae's talent to cover for his lack of scheme.  "Take advantage of mismatches" is not an offensive identity -- it's a lazy way to coach.  Nate was coasting his whole time here and I don't believe he ever really wanted the HC job, he just couldn't turn down the money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae on his latest Podcast talked about his offseason work last year being nore a focus on midrange shots vs 3s. SmhScreenshot_20231009_140737_Gallery.jpg

Oh man what I wouldn't give for Trae to get back to 38% or better from 3pt.  Same for Hunter. I know they are capable and Trae's a huge threat when he's shooting efficiently.  Between them, Bogi, Griff, Patty, and Saddiq that's pretty strong perimeter shooting.  Sprinkle in a little Jalen and Big O and we'll move from the right side to the left of that previous list.  

• Like 2