• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The 3-point Conundrum

JayBirdHawk

On 3/23/2023 at 1:22 PM, givemesome1ce1 said:

So much of this year’s failure has to be put on the front office’s failure to put any shooting on this team and Nate’s coaching for barely incentivizing catch and shoot threes and passing the ball period. It’s disgusting. Quin has to fix a lot of shit this off season. 

I just don't think they realized how much Murray would hurt their shooting. 

• Premium Member

I've been beating this drum since before the season...I would do anything to get a legit sniper in the starting lineup.  The streaky outside shooting coupled with a dependency on dribble penetration isn't going to cut it.  We need a sniper and/or a serious low post threat.

That or we completely embrace ball and player movement and see how that goes.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 1/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Let's see where we are to end 2022:

Trae - 31%

DJ - 35% 

Hunter - 35.4%

JC - 22.7% 

AJ - 37.2% 

OO - 0% 

Bogi - 40.4% 

JJ - 21.4%

AHol - 44% 

We are getting nothing from the PF spot.

Not much  has changed since 2023 started.

UPDATE Time with 7 games left:

Trae - 34.3%

DJ - 34.8% 

Hunter - 35.4%

JC - 27.0% 

AJ - 38.1% 

OO - 25% (2 of 8 )

Bogi - 40.0% 

JC - 29.2% 

Bey - 44.2% (Hawks only)

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae - 34.3%

DJ - 34.8% 

Hunter - 35.4%

JC - 27.0% 

AJ - 38.1% 

OO - 25% (2 of 😎

Bogi - 40.0% 

JC - 29.2% 

Bey - 44.2% (Hawks only)

Those 2 OO threes were glorious though!!

JC stats are even worse in context of the looks he's getting (pretty much always wide open if he takes a 3).  Trae has been fine since like January'ish and also has a more difficult shot selection

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Those 2 OO threes were glorious though!!

JC stats are even worse in context of the looks he's getting (pretty much always wide open if he takes a 3).  Trae has been fine since like January'ish and also has a more difficult shot selection

It's hard for me to judge Trae's shooting.  Being a primary ball handler and also the offense that makes us go is always going to be a limiting factor. If he could get the open looks that he creates for others, he'd be among the most elite shooters in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After struggling for much of the season, for the month of March (1 game left):

Trae: 43.4%

JC: 36.7%

Wait didn’t someone make an avatar bet on this? I coulda sworn .. or maybe I’m mistaken.

• Premium Member
On 3/27/2023 at 8:42 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae - 34.3%

DJ - 34.8% 

Hunter - 35.4%

JC - 27.0% 

AJ - 38.1% 

OO - 25% (2 of 8 )

Bogi - 40.0% 

JJ - 29.2% 

Bey - 44.2% (Hawks only)

UPDATE Time with 2 games left:

Trae - 33.7% (37.7% for March and April)

DJ - 34.5% 

Hunter - 35.1%

JC - 28.8% (37.3% for March and April)

AJ - 39.4% 

OO - 30% 

Bogi - 40.4% 

JJ - 28.6% 

Bey - 40.0% (Hawks only)

• Like 3

• Moderators

UPDATE Time with 2 games left:

Trae - 33.7% (37.7% for March and April)

DJ - 34.5% 

Hunter - 35.1%

JC - 28.8% (37.3% for March and April)

AJ - 39.4% 

OO - 30% 

Bogi - 40.4% 

JJ - 28.6% 

Bey - 40.0% (Hawks only)

Bucks have a similar team % as the Hawks but all of their starters shoot better than our best starter except Giannis.  And they have 2 bench guys giving them 41%.  Next season we just can't have 5 starters at <35%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Bucks have a similar team % as the Hawks but all of their starters shoot better than our best starter except Giannis.  And they have 2 bench guys giving them 41%.  Next season we just can't have 5 starters at <35%

...and I don't think we will.  We are currently in the transition period from a coach that didn't put enough emphasis on three point shooting to one that does.  I think some moves will be made to sure up the three point shooting on the team.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

We are screwd.

We can't hit 3s and we can't defend the 3.

1st half

Hawks from 3: 1-16 (6.3%)

Celtics from 3: 9-16 (56.3%)

2nd Half

Hawks from 3: 4-13 (30.7%)

Celtics from 3: 4-17 (23.5%)

Here's a thought:

More OO vs the 5-out offense, with some AJ  time and less Clint, particularly if he's not gonna rebound or offer resistance at the rim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are screwd.

We can't hit 3s and we can't defend the 3.

1st half

Hawks from 3: 1-16 (6.3%)

Celtics from 3: 9-16 (56.3%)

2nd Half

Hawks from 3: 4-13 (30.7%)

Celtics from 3: 4-17 (23.5%)

Here's a thought:

More OO vs the 5-out offense, with some AJ  time and less Clint, particularly if he's not gonna rebound or offer resistance at the rim.

I say start OO but horford will try to assert himself inside once he sees OO guarding him if shots aren’t falling and that’s when we have to worry about that matchup.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JTB said:

I say start OO but horford will try to assert himself inside once he sees OO guarding him if shots aren’t falling and that’s when we have to worry about that matchup.

Rather Horf taking 2s, than him and everybody else shooting practice 3s.

I'm hopeful Quin is willing to shake things up to get the best matchups and that means starting OO over Clint.  

But the reality is, the Hawks don't have the personnel to shut the celtics down from 3.  They are going to have to figure out how to MAKE their own shots.  And that starts with Trae who has been putrid for a while now.  But also it means Bogi, Bey, and Murray need to make theirs at a reasonable % like they are capable.  And playing AJ could be a key as well.  

• Like 1

When we examione all the playoff games, taking and making the three point shot usually takes a major statement on who wins the game.  More and more this becomes an important part of any NBA team.

If this Hawk team expects to make a noise in this playoff season it is imperitive that we make a lot of three point shots.  It just doesn't add up when we are swapping goals,  We are making 2 point shots.  Opponent is making 3 point shots.

Trae is one of our keys.  His missing so many 3 attempts is hurting us.  Bogie came into the game, cold.  Bey didn't hit his shote and AJ Griffin didn't even see the floor.  This part of our attact must improve.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

When we examione all the playoff games, taking and making the three point shot usually takes a major statement on who wins the game.  More and more this becomes an important part of any NBA team.

If this Hawk team expects to make a noise in this playoff season it is imperitive that we make a lot of three point shots.  It just doesn't add up when we are swapping goals,  We are making 2 point shots.  Opponent is making 3 point shots.

Trae is one of our keys.  His missing so many 3 attempts is hurting us.  Bogie came into the game, cold.  Bey didn't hit his shote and AJ Griffin didn't even see the floor.  This part of our attact must improve.

:smug:

We are a poor three point shooting team but even if we get close to our sorry average in game one we actually win that game.  The story out there is that the Celtics shooting and defense was too much for the Hawks but that's not entirely true.  We had plenty of open looks especially from three and were 1-16 in the first half and 17% for the game.   We shoot even 30% from three for the game it's a different story.  

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

We are a poor three point shooting team but even if we get close to our sorry average in game one we actually win that game.    

It is hard to say.  I think Boston took their foot off the accelerator in the second half playing with a huge lead.  It is definitely a different game if we shoot our average.  How does Boston react to us shooting much better?  Hope to see that in Game 2.

• Thanks 2