• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WILL JAE CROWDER BE A HAWK??? 💗 💗 💗

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

It's so sad that many of us believe that the owners of our beloved Hawk team is too cheap to spend the necessary money to make our team competetive in the NBA.

🥲

Mule, 

I don't think that it's competitive.   Ressler likes it when we win.   He's running the team on the cheap.  He'll spend money on Franchise players but he won't spend money on taxes.   I haven't performed a deep dive but I don't know if there has ever been a team to win the championship and not been in the LT since the LT was commissioned. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Can you all read Ayton’s body language? Oh hewwwwlll nah, I don’t want that dude in here. He was just ratting out Biyombo to Monty and saying “WELL HE AINT BOXIN OUT” and Monty is like HEY, I AINT TALKIN TO HIM IM TALKIN TO YOU! 

Ayton’s attitude and body language stink.

Haha, I had to break out the kettle korn watchin that.

Typical Chris Paul team imploding from within, but errybody wanna call him a leader.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Mule, 

I don't think that it's competitive.   Ressler likes it when we win.   He's running the team on the cheap.  He'll spend money on Franchise players but he won't spend money on taxes.   I haven't performed a deep dive but I don't know if there has ever been a team to win the championship and not been in the LT since the LT was commissioned. 

There's also not a magic formula that says paying the tax makes you a winner.  He's literally only made one money saving move since he's been involved.  ALL of his other moves were to spend and make us a winner ASAP.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

There's also not a magic formula that says paying the tax makes you a winner.  He's literally only made one money saving move since he's been involved.  ALL of his other moves were to spend and make us a winner ASAP.  

I've generally been happy with Ressler but he has sold a few picks in addition to unloading Huerter for the poo-poo platter plus a future first so I wouldn't say he hasn't made money saving moves before.

But big picture he paid a lot of money for some of the first round picks we got and has been fairly aggressive so I'm not going over the edge here either.  (In terms of expensive first round picks, think about the trades for Crabbe, Parsons, etc.).

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've generally been happy with Ressler but he has sold a few picks in addition to unloading Huerter for the poo-poo platter plus a future first so I wouldn't say he hasn't made money saving moves before.

But big picture he paid a lot of money for some of the first round picks we got and has been fairly aggressive so I'm not going over the edge here either.  (In terms of expensive first round picks, think about the trades for Crabbe, Parsons, etc.).

If we can't call him cheap we also can't call him not cheap.   We're solidly middle of the pack payroll wise and basically exactly the same as every other team that's not tanking or enjoying a bunch of rookie deal guys.  

There's a certain amount that every team pays for players and then there are a 5-10 teams that pay more.   We aren't one of those teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

There's a certain amount that every team pays for players and then there are a 5-10 teams that pay more.   We aren't one of those teams. 

I think we’re still figuring him out.  He could be building up to spending more.  He has been aggressive in really smart ways with trades, drafts, and FA signings.   He’s signed or extended every noteworthy player on our roster.  If you are too aggressive too quickly you can get over the tax with unwanted contracts.  I’m hopeful he will spend more when there is an opportunity that makes sense.  I think labeling him cheap is unfair at this point.

• Premium Member

Pass, pass, pass.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2022/12/24/report-teams-turned-off-jae-crowder-not-showing-up-this-season-for-suns/69754850007/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, Final_quest said:

Not a big deal but assuming you're referencing the Huerter trade as the one; you're omitting the multiple 2nd rounders he sold for cash that turned out to be Paschell and Bol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, warcore said:

Not a big deal but assuming you're referencing the Huerter trade as the one; you're omitting the multiple 2nd rounders he sold for cash that turned out to be Paschell and Bol.

Let’s not revise history.  They already had a few rookies coming into camp that year.  They were sellers for strategic reasons AND got future picks out of it.  https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/20/atlanta-hawks-trade-two-second-round-picks-for-cash/amp/

We were under the cap and landed two FAs in Gallo and Bogi that pushed a rebuilding team to the playoffs.  He then resigns the whole team.  Then makes a killer trade to get DJM.  Now he’s a cheapskate?  Most aggressive owner with a desire to win we’ve had.  The story doesn’t fit, cheap owners don’t make moves like this guy.  He spends when we have an opportunity to add difference makers.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Let’s not revise history.  They already had a few rookies coming into camp that year.  They were sellers for strategic reasons AND got future picks out of it.  https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/20/atlanta-hawks-trade-two-second-round-picks-for-cash/amp/

We were under the cap and landed two FAs in Gallo and Bogi that pushed a rebuilding team to the playoffs.  He then resigns the whole team.  Then makes a killer trade to get DJM.  Now he’s a cheapskate?  Most aggressive owner with a desire to win we’ve had.  The story doesn’t fit, cheap owners don’t make moves like this guy.  He spends when we have an opportunity to add difference makers.  

My take is we sold those picks more for money than future value so I do put them in the picks for cash category with some minor consultation picks coming back.  Those were rare second round picks with guys who were projected to be first round picks still on the board and instead of maximizing the return for basketball purposes we leaned into the “cash back” side of things.  Same for the Huerter trade (primarily about the money but we got something back).

Overall I think your assessment is fair for where we sit today.  The real revelation will be whether Ressler orders other players to be sold to stay under the tax line or if he goes for it.  You can’t wait too long to go for it because part of being a successful tax paying team is having maximized the talent on the roster when you lock in (not having diminished it).

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Not watching that. 

:applause: That’s why I posted it. Never click! 😂 

3 hours ago, warcore said:

Man Shams went from good to throwing doo doo on a wall real fast. 

Look at his face. 😂 He’s not a good bull$hitter either 😂 

• Haha 1