• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bogi Most Likely Hawk to be dealt.

Diesel

53 minutes ago, sturt said:

Contrarian thoughts to that... and speaking to the board at-large, not Mac in particular...

1. It's easier to say that today when KVon is having a good start to his year, no?

2. It's easier to say that today when Justin is not having a good start to his year, no? And, addendum to that... people have forgotten exactly which ones of us actually considered Justin to be a decent acquisition... no?

(... hehe, well, maybe, maybe not...)

3. The point made that you had ~$50m of your payroll sunk cost in three players at one position meant that something had to give, and at least one of those players was sitting the bench for as long as you have a conventional head coach who doesn't play the 3rd string.

4. You did just days before that give up more 1st round picks than you'd wanted to give up in exchange for DJM, so it wasn't the most nonsensical thing in the world to deal your excess for some recovery in that way.... and citing #1 and #2, if KVon was playing today like the KVon of 2021-22 and Justin was playing like the Justin of 2019-20 (... again, that's basically what many here were imagining, if we're honest... ) then practically everyone here would be cheering the genius of the deal.

Saying it with my chest, only a very few of us cautioned that KVon was likely still developing and had not hit his ceiling, and only a very few of us cautioned that Justin's severe trend downward made a return to a former version of Justin highly unlikely. Most protested either the former or the latter... or *gulp*... both.

Self-awareness = good.

Sobriety = good.

Intellectual humility = good.

This about me? :er: Asking before I read it…

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

It's easier to say that today when KVon is having a good start to his year, no?

Go back and look at the trade thread and many of us expressed this in the summer.   And my main goal after last year was to get Kevin out of the starting lineup.   It wasn't about worrying that he'd break out it was about needing shooting off the bench.  

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Go back and look at the trade thread and many of us expressed this in the summer. 

Um. I didn't take names and notes, but I have a pretty good recall of what I read... and it wasn't all limited to a single thread, of course.

• Premium Member

Does anybody think that Bogi is low-key being selfish because he was told he was going to be a bench player this year?  He seems to scoff at that assertion every-time someone brings it up to him. I think as long as he thought he was competing for a starting role, he was ok with putting his body on the line. Now that he has be relegated to a bench role, he is playing it super safe. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Does anybody think that Bogi is low-key being selfish because he was told he was going to be a bench player this year?  He seems to scoff at that assertion every-time someone brings it up to him. I think as long as he thought he was competing for a starting role, he was ok with putting his body on the line. Now that he has be relegated to a bench role, he is playing it super safe. 

I think he should take as long as he needs to get fully healthy. Having him 100% for the playoffs is more important than these early regular season games.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

I don't think so. I remember @thecampstersaying his knee is degenerative, so his minutes will have to be managed.

I'd prefer the cautious approach given his history than to rush back sooner this early in the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 11/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think so. I remember @thecampstersaying his knee is degenerative, so his minutes will have to be managed.

I'd prefer the cautious approach given his history than to rush back sooner this early in the season.

I hope his knee is not worse than last year after the surgery. It is weird trying to read between the lines. He says he does not have anymore pain. It that because of the surgery or is it due to the fact that he is not playing?  My point is if it doesn't hurt and you hav had 3 months to build back strength, what’s the hold up? He also said he has good and bad days. Sounds like setbacks in recovery.  Another question, what will his role be with the emergence of AJ?

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, MarylandHawk said:

Not really.  He has to play for his next contract.  If him being out there threatens his career longevity, he should sit longer anyways.  If he’s healthy I’m sure he wants to play. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

My view on trade hasn't changed much.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, AHF said:

This was not a move to improve the team.  There are only three possible explanations:

(1) It was done to get a first round pick for a trade.

(2) Fields/TS concluded that we didn't have enough minutes to go around at SG and either Bogi or Kev had to go and Kev could return you an asset (which is the FRP, not Holiday or Harkless).

(3) It was done to move the team from a tax paying team to under the tax line.

Those can overlap as well.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, AHF said:

[M]y point was that fans are still going to be scratching their heads because hearing Ressler say he'll pay the tax makes them think that he'll pay the tax right now.

In terms of being better or worse, you have to take a big picture perspective to justify this deal.  When you look at it as the roster before we dealt Kevin and the roster after him (with Murray already in the fold), then we are inarguably worse.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, AHF said:

If we keep JC and give regular minutes to JJ and AJ then I'm pretty happy about that aspect of the deal. If we don't play JJ and AJ to give minutes to Justin Holiday and Maurice Harkless then I'll be less happy about that.  JJ and AJ should be significant parts of the rotation in 2023-24.  Holiday and Harkless won't be with the team anymore most likely.

• Like 2