• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk headed to an Advisory Role

Jody23

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, sturt said:

Again, all of that could have already been true without making any public move like this at all.

Sticking with my theory. I think Travis has some pride, and I think he may be persuaded that Tony's resistance to any further payroll is torpedoing his work.

Ressler, also, doesn't seem to be the type who just wants to give people money to do nothing and have no responsibility... true?

History says publicly moving into an "advisory" role is a fairly typical path toward exiting an organization.

To be fair, that's conjecture on your part. Travis has built this team and now has a fire proof position on a NBA franchise. I could absolutely see him leaving at some point if he felt his voice wasn't being heard or if Ressler's total resistance to paying the LT is stopping the team from being a serious contender. Personally I know that situation (the latter) has already been reached but that's just me.

You make the public move because Fields is now running the team basketball move wise. He will be the public face and be held accountable for the team. TS is now a backseat team official. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Explain? How do you get there? I don't follow.

Huerter's salary ($14 mil)  was reduced into two smaller contracts $6.4 (JHol) and $4.5 (Mo).  The $4.5 was then traded for $1.5 (Vit) to get under the tax by $1.7 mil.

I really find it so ironic that Sacramento had too much redundancy at Bogi's position to justify matching our offer, and that created a scenario for us where we were in a similar position two years later.  We essentially traded Huerter for Bogi and a pick. 

I'm over the Huerter trade.  We have DJM, AJ, Bogi, and Hunter.  NBA teams have to make roster decisions like this all the time and we got a 1st round pick.  It's not perfect, but even if you get past the money keeping Huerter creates other problems.  Now that all of these guys are healthy who is sitting?  You would have 5 starter level players jockeying for the minutes.  Sorry, it doesn't make sense.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To be fair, that's conjecture on your part.

Right. Said so myself, actually. 😉

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Just my conjecture. Could be wrong. Makes more sense to me than anything else, tho.

46 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I could absolutely see him leaving at some point if he felt his voice wasn't being heard or if Ressler's total resistance to paying the LT is stopping the team from being a serious contender. Personally I know that situation (the latter) has already been reached but that's just me.

So if you know that situation has already been reached, why are we seeming to disagree anyhow/regardless that the working theory makes more sense?

Again, buttressing the point... does Ressler impress you as someone who likes paying salaries for people who don't actually have responsibility?

Not me.

Again again, I could be wrong. Maybe he's just that charitable and appreciative of Travis... I think the more sober conclusion is that this is a way for two people who otherwise like each other to begin the separation process, and history affirms it's even somewhat common.

• Premium Member

John Collins, loved you as a Hawk. Hate that it's apparently come to this. Feel pretty confident that Travis pounded the table to keep you... and so much so, that he felt some hard choices had to be made.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

This will definitely impact things. This is like Rich McKay with the Falcons. Schlenk is going to be basically Teflon proof as a Hawks executive. Fields is now the full 100% GM which means he can do what he wants except go over the luxury tax. 

The cynical part of me has to point out that this would make Fields the fall guy if the Hawks decide at some point to fire the GM and/or coach. Schlenk is basically not going anywhere unless he chooses to leave which I highly doubt will happen. Ressler and TS are tight.

OMG please dont say its like AB and Rich Mckay.. He could kill a player and still have a job.. smdh

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I bet folks aren't familiar with just how long Sund worked for the organization after his tenure as GM

Hard to say.

Wiki claims he's still on the payroll.

But that name is nowhere to be found on the Hawks staff directory on their website.

But that said... again, just conjecture... Sund wasn't exactly some hot property after exiting his ATL GM gig.

Schlenk, I'm just guessing, would be among the most coveted properties on the GM market. (Not unlike Bud on the coaching market back-when.)

Have you ever been in a situation where there was triangulation at work... and the person working under you began to feel obligated to take the side of the person above you, and you saw your voice was increasingly being squelched as a result?

Watch and see if Collins gets traded sometime soon. Easy conclusion from all this is Ressler wants to trade Collins for payroll relief, Schlenk has stood against it, and over time since his GM appointment, Fields has increasingly become a dependable ally to Ressler in that conversation.

1 hour ago, TheBigETrain said:

And both of Schlenk/Fields can't seem to find a suitable trade for John Collins for past 2-3 years.

Because they’re not actively trying to move him.

People call, we set the price. We aren’t the ones shopping him.

He would have been long gone for picks and cash if we wanted to move him.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Because they’re not actively trying to move him.

People call, we set the price. We aren’t the ones shopping him.

He would have been long gone for picks and cash if we wanted to move him.

I've believed that.

I also believe Soth's report, and that the winds are shifting significantly enough that we're seeing trees bend.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This doesn't scream stability whatsoever.  It comes at a time where it's clear the Hawks haven't performed well this season and the owner continues to operate on the cheap even if it doesn't help the product on the floor.  Anybody smell a "Spirit" aroma?  Make of it what you will.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Plus they got the ultimate scapegoat wearing #11 every night too.  When things don't go well or if folks get fired, they know the media will pin it all on Trae before them. Smh.

On a semi related note, I bet folks aren't familiar with just how long Sund worked for the organization after his tenure as GM. 

Which will start the "Trae wants out" rumblings sooner than later.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, TheBigETrain said:

Good decision. Didn't rate Schlenk and his legacy will forever be tarnished by trading Luka Doncic.

However Landry Fields is off to a terrible start in his GM career. The Kevin Huerter trade is horrible. And both of Schlenk/Fields can't seem to find a suitable trade for John Collins for past 2-3 years.

I wanted Luka too, but Trae actually saved this man... the extensions to Dre and JC were way worse imo.. At least Trae is a player.. Yeah I wouldve went with the 6'8 guy too, but tbf Luka is just Trae with size at this point in their careers....Huerter trade was idiotic too but we had to do it because of JC and  then Dre extensions...Why not just trade JC or wait before you extend Dre?? Hopefully this was more on Schlenk wanting to keep "his guys" than it was on LF.. If not, he can go to.. lol

And how can you watch Villanova tape and take Spellman over Brunson?  (We didnt have a legit backup PG for years. smh).. And How can you watch Oregon tape and take Tyler Dorsey over Dillon Brooks? He loves the softest players...

Trading up for Bruno for no reason with Bol Bol sitting right there(he was injured too so I just knew Travis would take him. lol)

Because we all know he has an infactuation for drafting and trading for injury prone guys..

CC injured when we traded for him(his best move as Hawks GM imo) 

Bogi always had knee issues in Sactown. Same thing here

OO injured couldnt play SL(hes been pretty healthy so far knock on wood but hes just a JAG imo)

Reddish always knicked up at Duke injured couldnt play SL

Dre injured a lot at UVA couldnt play SL

JJ injured at Duke most of the year but was able to play SL fortunately(still looks like a Gleaguer most of the time)

AJ injured couldnt play SL(IM praying this kid stays healthy..Just sayin. He had major question marks about his health)

LF nailed the AJ pick, but Murray trade is what his rep is riding on right now..

Nate might be next if we dont start moving up in the standings...... Perhaps Travis didnt want to be the guy to fire him? 

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I don't get it.

What's different?

Who's opinion is actually somehow increased or decreased here? Do we really think Ressler's? Surely not. And why would Schlenk be content to have some lesser say, after putting his heart/soul into building the car?

Weird. Makes no sense to me from any angle.

Yeah it is kinda confusing.. Why would he stay? Other than wanting that bag? lol

I mean who is he advising? The owner? The GM?

Im not gonna know who to blame for any future bad moves with Schlenk still in the building.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1