• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I want Mark Jackson as Hawks next head coach

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I don't know if we're in that market.

If the front office considers this team to be a legitimate contender, logic says we can't be. Sure, there are no guarantees regardless, but I think most of us would agree, you give yourself the best chance to achieve in the post season when the chief leading the tribe has been there to some extent, and has made enough mistakes already to have learned some lessons.

If the front office thinks something less of this team, then sure... all options should be on the table.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

IF it were her vs. Adrian Griffin, then yeah, I can see her being the candidate. 

She would be in the conversation. As just deliberated in the other thread, she has legitimate competitors. This isn't a situation where she stands alone as the only reasonable choice... not at all. Some people around here talk of her as if she is, and that's unfortunate, imo, from the standpoint that you're setting expectations even higher than they already are. She is going to be the NBA's first female head coach, barring something really weird and unexpected happening. But this idea that she's going to exceed what most first-time NBA head coaches achieve isn't helpful.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The Novelty of her being a woman will wear off soon.. especially with the players.   THEN what?  We have a very immature team with a very immature star.  If a vet coach like Nate can't garner respect from Trae, what's a rookie assistant coach going to do?

Have to look at both sides of that ledger, though, to be fair. There are aspects of her big sister/young aunt aura that would seem likely to predict she's better able to communicate and teach than your average head coach. She could be amazing.

My sense is that this discussion probably needs to happen, though, in the thread that AHF just parsed out yesterday... so that's where I'll leave it. I've said about everything I have to say on the subject.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 6:44 AM, bleachkit said:

Trae is known to be easily bristled and shut people out at times. Mark Jackson is not a good coach for that type of personality. You need a player's coach with a progressive modernized system. It was no coincidence Golden State took off when Steve Kerr was hired. 

Trae also has Christian roots and is a Believer in Christ.  A coach like Jackson might actually relate to Trae better, than most coaches, seeing that he's a former PG like Nate. And as a high assist playmaking PG, it's no wonder why Mark heaps more praise on Trae, than most commentators.

If Jackson's Christian beliefs is basically the one thing that's actually keeping him out of head coaching jobs, that's a bad look for the NBA . . . especially if this gets out into mainstream media.

The other thing about Jackson is this . . . his players at Golden State have spoken no ill will about him at all ( to my knowledge ).  And while Kerr got them to the next level, it was Jackson who took that team from a 23 win team in year 1, to a 47 win team in Year 2, and had them in the playoffs in Year 3.

I don't know how many Christian NBA owners we have in the league . . probably none.  But it's interesting how Jackson continuously gets passed over, while teams elevate younger unproven coaches.

So to recap, Jackson has:

- proven that he can elevate a young team into a winner

- played in the NBA Finals as a player

- won a playoff series as a coach

- instilled the defense that the Warriors prided themselves on, even after they left.  That organization was NEVER known for playing defense.

So what's the REAL issue with Jackson as a NBA coach?  Is it really his beliefs?  That's horrible if it is.

Actually, Golden State made the playoffs in Year 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

A coach like Jackson might actually relate to Trae better

I know you're making a larger point, but just want to mention that Nate's a Christian. I recall him talking about it once, b/c I was a little surprised to hear, not that he is one, but that it evidently was so important to him--him also not being allergic to F-bombs (hehe). Think it might've been during that summer he signed on as permanent.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae also has Christian roots and is a Believer in Christ.  A coach like Jackson might actually relate to Trae better, than most coaches, seeing that he's a former PG like Nate.

Thank you. I don’t understand why people hate Mark, I’m kidding his motivation, X’s and O’s as a coach.

Ya that point guard connection is one of many reasons it’s a beautiful fit. He did this whole thing in GS 10 years ago and I saw it. He basically made Curry. Lol. I give Mark all the credit. Kerr came in and was white that’s all. 💯 real talk. It was a race thing for sure. Jax built it.

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So what's the REAL issue with Jackson as a NBA coach?  Is it really his beliefs?  That's horrible if it is.

Where the hell were you in my Mark Jackson threads helping me fight off @JayBirdHawk and @kg01 regarding this. Judge the court stuff, I don’t care if he’s purple or blue and he believes in the aliens 👽 from ET, I don’t care, he’s the right candidate and the best one for the Hawks since Bud left and that’s a fact.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If Jackson's Christian beliefs is basically the one thing that's actually keeping him out of head coaching jobs, that's a bad look for the NBA . . . especially if this gets out into mainstream media.

NBA has been fairly aggressive in their support for LGBTQ rights, and if you're someone that the LGBTQ constituency believes to be their enemy, then... as the saying goes... the enemy of my friend is my enemy. In other words, you have to be the kind of Christian who supports gay marriage among other things, and Jackson, as I understand it, does not.

OIP.TJIL3npzHagLENF4XeDrAwHaE7?pid=ImgDe

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

I know you're making a larger point, but just want to mention that Nate's a Christian. I recall him talking about it once, b/c I was a little surprised to hear, not that he is one, but that it evidently was so important to him--him also not being allergic to F-bombs (hehe). Think it might've been during that summer he signed on as permanent.

Stu, if Jackson becomes head coach of the Hawks I’d a show in for squawk Hall of Fame, I mean let’s face it my numbers speak for themselves but Big O, AJ, Crowder (still a possibility) AND NAILING THE HEAD COACH!!! @sturt @AHF 

Stu, I want my flowers 💐

ps Braves start off 3-0 this year. :sarcastic:

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

NBA has been fairly aggressive in their support for LGBTQ rights,

Should add... Ressler is among the more politically-outspoken NBA owners out there, and clearly to the left.

I think you can pretty definitively rule out Mark Jackson as a Hawks option for as long as Ressler owns the team.

I'm sure there are articles about why Jackson is considered toxic as a coach.  It wasn't his beliefs, iirc.  It was that he seemingly forced his beliefs on the team.  And, allegedly,turned out to be a hypocrite due to some allegations in his personal life. 

There were also some scathing accusations about how he treated people.

On top of that, the way he used their personnel is seen as antiquated and uninventive against the backdrop of the tremendous ascension they took after he left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There were also some scathing accusations about how he treated people.

Is he like me on here? :huh: I treat people fine the only people who have issues with me stem from jealousy and pretend to not see my posts, it’s hilarious. #pangos4president

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

the tremendous ascension they took after he left.

Don’t make me hate you. I lived there, it’s all a bunch of bullshit as ownership wanted a white man to lead the way. 💯 Believe me it’s sad and true. It’s 2023 l, we haven’t coke a long way at all, how does technology advance but racism as slow as a frickin turtle. 

The team ascended… gimme a break, ya only cuz Jax set the table for it to happen. There would have been no championships with Keith Smart being the prior coach no way no how.

-Bay area insider Spud

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Don’t make me hate you. I lived there, it’s all a bunch of bullshit as ownership wanted a white man to lead the way. 💯 Believe me it’s sad and true. It’s 2023 l, we haven’t coke a long way at all, how does technology advance but racism as slow as a frickin turtle. 

The team ascended… gimme a break, ya only cuz Jax set the table for it to happen. There would have been no championships with Keith Smart being the prior coach no way no how.

-Bay area insider Spud

I dont doubt they stood on the table set by Jackson.  Curry and Kerr have said as much, iirc.  And I don't doubt other coaches could've orchestrated an ascension.

All I'm saying is it's factually accurate to say they did indeed ascend.

I dont doubt what you're suggesting as it wouldn't be the first time we've heard a good ol boy's club preferred a good ol boy.  Just look at the NFL.  

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

-Bay area insider Spud

Yea those evil racist owners didnt want a black coach. I guess that's why they hired... a black coach. Jackson was the first coaching hire of the new ownership. What youre saying makes no sense. And to suggest Jackson's 51 win season somehow truly set the stage for Kerr's historic run of 5 NBA finals appearances, including 4 championships is laughable. 

Edited by bleachkit

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

She has several years experience, coaching under Pop.  Players who have been coached by her have a very high opinion of her.  She is a proven winner.  All these things add up to being desirable to me for our next head coach.

You know that I waanted Haliburton drafted.  Also, Mark Williams.  And you know I don't often get what I want.   Still - - - 

:smug:

Like I said, I don't doubt her Xs and Os.  However, Basketball coaching is also about relationships and respect.   Right now, 90% of her respect starts with Popp being behind her and then players recognizing her Xs and Os.   However, think about Trae with LP.   When Trae had less power, he got LP fired. LP "lost" the team.   I think her Xs and Os will be good, but I think she a better fit for a team with more vets on it than ours.  We are not mature yet. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sturt said:

ere are aspects of her big sister/young aunt aura that would seem likely to predict she's better able to communicate and teach than your average head coach. She could be amazing.

I make room for her being an amazing X and O person.  I make room for her being an excellent communicator for a vet team.  My fear is that our team is so immature if there's no immediate respect, then it will be easy for them to not listen.   I think the person to talk to would be DJ.   IF DJ says she will get the respect and he leads that effort, I think she can definitely work.   But if he is idk on the subject then I would say no.

This is the trainwreck I see:

Young inexperienced FO.   Young Immature team.  Young Immature star.   You don't put a coach that has never been a HC before with that.  I can't feel good about it.   I would have the same issue with Adrian Griffin.   That's why I say I would like D'Antoni to groom an assistant to be his successor in 2 years.   Give this team a foundation.  

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

She has several years experience, coaching under Pop.  Players who have been coached by her have a very high opinion of her.  She is a proven winner.  All these things add up to being desirable to me for our next head coach.

You know that I waanted Haliburton drafted.  Also, Mark Williams.  And you know I don't often get what I want.   Still - - - 

:smug:

Only reason Pop was successful.was because of Duncan and Robinson imo.  

On 12/30/2022 at 6:38 AM, Spud2nique said:

Yes I’m in the minority on this. I’m pretty sure 90% of the board is against Mark. Wonder if he ever does get a gig again.

Minority turning… into majority! 

13 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Only reason Pop was successful.was because of Duncan and Robinson imo.  

And then Kawhi…

• Like 1