• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

seems damn likely we are making moves

Rarely does any  team ever make zero moves in an off-season, of course, so the question is not if, but how drastic.

Don't care how spirited the team played in that series against Boston, it was clear the talent on our squad was just inferior to the talent on that squad. 

Do you mean "talent," or do you mean maturity? And if "talent," do you mean "talent" in terms of offense or in terms of defense or both?

It's maturity mostly, but/and where talent is concerned, it's about defense. Our talent is a little raw on the offensive end, but we're practically even with them in that area, and will nose ahead of them as Jalen and Junior progress. It's the defensive end where they have an edge. The maturity edge will solve itself in the next 12 months, between the natural fact of aging and, I believe, our coach's ability to accelerate that process.

who can get us the best return

Hard pressed to see how things can develop in a way where we would clearly win a trade... if only because a quick glance at the team salary situations across the league show only 4 (HOU, SAS, IND and DET) that can take-on some minimal amount of salary. That means, of course, to the degree that salary values match-up with players' talent, the best can hope for is some equivalent exchange. And then you ask yourself, "Wait... why are we doing that... we're still a team on the younger side so there's still natural reason to expect more development... why are we tossing that aside and any cohesion/chemistry that our current assets possess with the team if we're not getting in return assets that clearly make us a contender?"

As far as I can see, if you want player movement, your best bet is for the Harden to HOU rumors to prove to have legs, which then would lend some validity to the other rumors asserting that HOU will look to add another vet or two through trade. I believe @NBASupes said he'd heard something about interest in a Harden/Capela reunion. That would seem to make some sense.

But what would they be sending back to us that makes us absolutely better in 23-24? (Not 25-26. Our future is now.) That's the riddle.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, akay said:

more up to date

That info was reported two weeks ago.

Which is contemporaneous with Woj's report...

And this is where the rumor mill stands tonight...

I'll say this. I like that we have a coach who can talk eye to eye with our bigs (Lang), whether or not he's actually considered to have that assignment to coach the bigs.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

tWe need better shooters and better defense. No mystery there. We can say we lost due to execution but executing is making shots. We just don't have as many shot-makers as the Celtics. Trae (and Bogi) can't do it on their own. We don't need Hunter to be a 20ppg guy but we need him to let the threes rip and not pass up open shots. Some of it his release is so damn slow for a wing imo.

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

tWe need better shooters and better defense. No mystery there. We can say we lost due to execution but executing is making shots. We just don't have as many shot-makers as the Celtics. Trae (and Bogi) can't do it on their own. We don't need Hunter to be a 20ppg guy but we need him to let the threes rip and not pass up open shots. Some of it his release is so damn slow for a wing imo.

After games 1 & 2 against the C’s, our offense improved to 122.5 ppg for the rest of the series. That tells me that we started to figure things out offensively. You saw the confidence increase as players started buying in and letting it fly.

Every team could use more shooters, but I’m really convinced Quinn’s ideology of proper spacing and shooting with confidence will improve our shooting naturally.

Defensively, the effort was there, but we had a ton of blown assignments. Guys were used to playing a certain style together all season/offseason and had to adjust to different principles. You could see the lapses where Clint didn’t rotate to clean up mistakes because he was staying home on Al. Quinn doesn’t want us to over help, so our guys were legitimately in no man’s land while Boston’s cutters were attacking with purpose. These are execution things that can be cleaned up with proper repetition.

You can never have too many 3 and D guys, but I’m interested in the development of our core pieces with a real coach.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, sturt said:

Rarely does any  team ever make zero moves in an off-season, of course, so the question is not if, but how drastic.

Do you mean "talent," or do you mean maturity? And if "talent," do you mean "talent" in terms of offense or in terms of defense or both?

It's maturity mostly, but/and where talent is concerned, it's about defense. Our talent is a little raw on the offensive end, but we're practically even with them in that area, and will nose ahead of them as Jalen and Junior progress. It's the defensive end where they have an edge. The maturity edge will solve itself in the next 12 months, between the natural fact of aging and, I believe, our coach's ability to accelerate that process.

Hard pressed to see how things can develop in a way where we would clearly win a trade... if only because a quick glance at the team salary situations across the league show only 4 (HOU, SAS, IND and DET) that can take-on some minimal amount of salary. That means, of course, to the degree that salary values match-up with players' talent, the best can hope for is some equivalent exchange. And then you ask yourself, "Wait... why are we doing that... we're still a team on the younger side so there's still natural reason to expect more development... why are we tossing that aside and any cohesion/chemistry that our current assets possess with the team if we're not getting in return assets that clearly make us a contender?"

As far as I can see, if you want player movement, your best bet is for the Harden to HOU rumors to prove to have legs, which then would lend some validity to the other rumors asserting that HOU will look to add another vet or two through trade. I believe @NBASupes said he'd heard something about interest in a Harden/Capela reunion. That would seem to make some sense.

But what would they be sending back to us that makes us absolutely better in 23-24? (Not 25-26. Our future is now.) That's the riddle.

This is such a great post!

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

After games 1 & 2 against the C’s, our offense improved to 122.5 ppg for the rest of the series. That tells me that we started to figure things out offensively. You saw the confidence increase as players started buying in and letting it fly.

Some how this get lost on the fan base...Even scoring 122 ppg against the 2nd best defense in the league is not enough which is strange to me...The obsession here with shooting 3's is pathological.  I know poster consider this the new NBA but Miami just closed out the Knicks winning 96-92 proving that defense can win you some games also.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

On this one, specific to us vs. Cs, we just don't agree. We just didn't get stops like they did. I have it on good authority (Quin's post game pressers). You're always going to be prone to hitting a dry spell shooting, and yeah, that did happen a couple of times unfortunately. But overall, of those that actually got on the floor (ie, both teams sat a couple of fairly well-regarded shooters), this is what it looks like... mind you, obviously, BOS now has more games figured into their numbers, and so a more surgical look would have to do the math manually for just our games...

2023-05-13_08-43-34.png

2023-05-13_08-39-20.png

So, we have as many that are better than the general league average (35%).

Are their shooters better than our shooters?

Jaylen Brown shot 33.5% over the regular season... 46.9% so far in the playoffs.

That's insane. He's just having himself a postseason to remember.

Derrick White's shot almost 5% better (42.6% to 38.1%)

I think we're in their league shooting. Trae's just got to get back to being Trae in that department.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Quin hired 3 coaches that joined the existing staff, they are still here so that's probably the 'nearly' reference in Klein's tweet.

Yeah, that's reasonable.

More, better shooting may come from our younger Hawks.  Non starters.  Jalen Johnson, AJ Griffin and Aaron Holiday.  All three are capable of filling the basket and are part of the reason that our bench is almost as good as our starters.  Add on Bogie and 0017 and we have a really good second team!

I know.  A nine man rotation with Trae or Murray on the floor at all times means no Aaron Holiday.  He's like a spare tire.  Seldom used but vitally important when really needed.

Hawks worst shooter is the starting center.  His value is in rebounding and goal defense.  I like Capela.  I remember those years when we desperately needed a center.  Making moves this off-season will, I suppose, probably involve Capela.  

:smug:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Making moves this off-season will, I suppose, probably involve Capela.  

I just can't envision a deal that makes sense for both/all sides. Been trying.

Best I can come up with is Capela and #15 for HOU FRP #5 + #20. (#5 depending on how Tuesday night goes, but that's the highest probability slot.)

And to do that, HOU would have to be really really persuaded that Harden would be coming back home. And to do that, ATL would have to be really really persuaded that whoever they would get with the #5 pick will make them better for 23-24 than Capela in the prime of his career.

Don't think either of those standards are met.

I'd put the likelihood of Capela being dealt somewhere in the 30-40% neighborhood, me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sturt said:

I just can't envision a deal that makes sense for both/all sides. Been trying.

Best I can come up with is Capela and #15 for HOU FRP #5 + #20. (#5 depending on how Tuesday night goes, but that's the highest probability slot.)

And to do that, HOU would have to be really really persuaded that Harden would be coming back home. And to do that, ATL would have to be really really persuaded that whoever they would get with the #5 pick will make them better for 23-24 than Capela in the prime of his career.

Don't think either of those standards are met.

I'd put the likelihood of Capela being dealt somewhere in the 30-40% neighborhood, me.

SnT Capela to MIN for Naz Reid.  Let the twolves really lean into the 'too many C's' thing.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, kg01 said:

SnT

Think we can safely eliminate that term from our off-season vocabulary... not impossible but highly unlikely that our FO is going to put themselves in a hard capped situation unless it's in February.

55 minutes ago, sturt said:

Think we can safely eliminate that term from our off-season vocabulary... not impossible but highly unlikely that our FO is going to put themselves in a hard capped situation unless it's in February.

It's kind of a running gag, using that term now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2