Defense

theheroatl

Bogi has to go in the off-season. Every time he is on the court our defense goes to hell. His offense is too hit or miss to continue to get the minutes he gets. Statistically speaking - he’s a huge hole in our rotation. 

Trae needs to keep putting effort in 100% of the time. He is having arguably his best defensive season yet. Just need to see consistency from play to play. Less complaining and more back checking, please.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Our defense sucks.

Offense and Fit not our GLARING PROBLEM!!!

Yup.  I been giving it some thought.   I may be removed from my prominent spot on the @Spud2nique fan club committee but ....

Do we look to being in Draymond as a culture change?

That's it, I'm logging out before the blowback.  Bye-ee... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  I been giving it some thought.   I may be removed from my prominent spot on the @Spud2nique fan club committee but ....

Do we look to being in Draymond as a culture change?

That's it, I'm logging out before the blowback.  Bye-ee... 

Draymond has always ripped the Hawks on why they didn’t draft him. He’s a tool. He will play out his final parasite days as a scrub and retire and prolly get in trouble and go to jail most likely. Here’s hoping! 

ps Malik’s Andrews and her sister are basically mud wrestling on BSPN. Good look for a good network. Not!

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

O rly?

Be right back ...

😁

It’s not even good lol. It was awkward with some Filipino new NBA insider of the Clippers watching in studio. Why BSPN? People know what siblings are and that it could be fun. Really gonna sell yourselves out to sell sex. Ugh. Men! Disgusting. I bet the same producers of this show made the humor on Threes company relating to sex. I guess the world has to spin but if I’m Malika I’m kinda like really? That’s jacked but I’m your puppet and I’m on center stage so..

All kinds of wrong with BSPN. From Skip Bayless b!tchass to Stephen A(moron) Smith. I feel like Chris Berman in this bit.

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s not even good lol. It was awkward with some Filipino new NBA insider of the Clippers watching in studio. Why BSPN? People know what siblings are and that it could be fun. Really gonna sell yourselves out to sell sex. Ugh. Men! Disgusting. I bet the same producers of this show made the humor on Threes company relating to sex. I guess the world has to spin but if I’m Malika I’m kinda like really? That’s jacked but I’m your puppet and I’m on center stage so..

All kinds of wrong with BSPN. From Skip Bayless b!tchass to Stephen A(moron) Smith. I feel like Chris Berman in this bit.

I keep telling yall stop watching.  When you watch, they win. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I keep telling yall stop watching.  When you watch, they win. 

HEY HEY HEY CALM DOWN PUFF BALL, it was on at the mechanic shop. Wasn’t my tv 📺 but I still almost turnt channel with remote they had :sarcastic:

18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Bogi is one reason

You didn’t watch the game last night did you? Bogi Mutombo was on it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Why can't the Hawks ever play good offense and defense at the same time? Bogi is one reason, but he can't be the only reason. 

I thought about this a lot. I think the reason is many GM's can't find a good mix of A+ defenders and all-star offensive players.

If Landry can put some defensive studs on our team to match with DJ, Trae, AJ, OO then we can hit that next gear.

Look at what Cleveland got... they hit on Evan Mobley big time.

20 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I remember thinking about this early in the season. DJM came out of the gate like a defensive gang buster to start the season. The team had multiple double digit steals, etc. But then he and the team flattened. I wondered if the rest of the team’s lack of effort caused DJM to stop trying so hard himself, or if he was just trying too hard at an unsustainable level and he finally came back down to earth. 

• Premium Member

So, you say you want a better defense?

Well, unfortunately, your rotation is what your rotation is.

The best you can hope for is that those guys get better.

But the second best thing you can hope for is the second best thing you can hope for... backfill your roster with some defense-first players who on occasion can be inserted into the 5-man to pump the brakes on the other team's ability to score, if only for awhile.

I like to solve problems, not just talk about their existence... even if it's only "solving" in theory... (but you knew that already... )

Realized just now, we can get greedy under the circumstances... conceivably, anyhow.

1. Stanley Johnson could be signed, replacing either Vit or Tyrese on the 15-man.

(If you love either one of those guys, though, don't despair, they're both likely to be available on the open market anyhow in the off-season, or if not them, two guys with almost the same resume'.)

2. DeAndre Bembry arguably is facing some G-League time given his return from major injury... but a Google search hasn't given any insight into his progress.

If he is returning, and if he isn't especially coveted at the moment since he's coming off major injury... talk to him about taking one of the 2-way slots.

3. But what has evolved to be my favorite thought over the last 24-ish hours is plucking from G-League a player who actually isn't old and actually can brag that he's been on an NBA all-defensive team and actually has shown himself to be an offensive asset with his jump shot this year, even from distance (38% 3 pt on about 70 attempts).

Our good friend Kris Dunn.

And it gets better. Kris reportedly would be happy to get a 2-way contract.

Yes, if you sign Dunn and Bembry, you have to release Forrest and Williams. I like Forrest a lot, but give me Dunn right now. Similarly, if Bembry is healthy enough to play, he left the court last season having been one of the most coveted buyouts, and didn't disappoint in either Brooklyn or Milwaukee last season.

Real world... I'm happy with just one of these options turning out in our favor, but I'm allowed to dream... 3 players with widely regarded defensive chops, one of them arguably elite defensive chops even. Costing us almost nothing but opportunity cost (ie, the players they'd each have to replace).

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Yes, if you sign Dunn and Bembry, you have to release Forrest and Williams. I like Forrest a lot, but give me Dunn right now. Similarly, if Bembry is healthy enough to play, he left the court last season having been one of the most coveted buyouts, and didn't disappoint in either Brooklyn or Milwaukee last season.

I would be interested to see what happens if we did this.  I am confident that we won't get anything out of those end of the bench players this season at this point so not much downside if we have the cap room to make the swap.  

Dunn was a big letdown for me.  I was very excited when we signed him and thought he could be a difference-maker for us.  Grabbing him for free now if he is healthy could be a nice addition to our perimeter defense.

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Statistically we are BAD defensive team and are getting worse. I would place the blame only about 5-10% on Clint mainly because he literally has no help in the paint. It hasn't been a team effort to keep opponents out of the lane.

The OPITP is perhaps the most glaringly-obvious bad statistic against the whole team.

Edited by theheroatl