• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OFFICIAL: Hawks and All we do is Quin Quin Quin

JayBirdHawk

7 hours ago, Wretch said:

First...a LITTLE shout out to the new front office.  I'm usually very slow to pass judgement on front office changes, unless they sound like Babcock, but it was pure chaos there for a second.  I'll pause on hitting the panic button for now.  These dudes look like they have an actual plan.

I know some people want to separate the arrival of Trae from the uptick in relevancy here, but I'm over it now.  We've had an All-Star starter, we made the ECF's, we've got a player breaking all kinds of records, we recruited a coveted All-Star, and now we've ripped an A-List coach right off the market.  There's a process to this and it starts with acquiring a star.  With this hiring, it's clear that we are on our way or are at least we understand the steps that it takes get there.

I'm interested in seeing if Quin can use Trae and DJ the way we all anticipated during the offseason.  I'm curious too if we'll continue to see the great 2-headed PG stagger that has been so effective for us.

Yea the Front office turmoil was odd but they did step in front of it quick and laid out what was going on. so they handled that well and honestly since the change over they have been making some REALLY good decisions, our trade deadline moves were great, firing Nate and getting Quin is a major coup for the team.

I'm so far really liking the new front office and am very hopeful for the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

So I may have missed this but if he signed a 5 year contract and is coming as soon as Tuesday, did they make this season prorated and his 5 years starts next season?  Haven’t seen that cleared up anywhere. 

I think I heard on Rowland’s pod this season is year 1. Next season will be 2, etc. Didn’t say anything about proration. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The great worry seems to be that the owner and the owner's son, who have the final say, will not listen to reason and will mess up everything because they are not capable.

We all worry about something.  We all think - - "What if ___?"  How does the pieces fit?  Will they keep my favorite player?  Will certain players listen to their new coach?  Will they even like him?

😉

If I don't worry about something, then I worry about that!!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

In 1989, the Chicago Bulls fired popular and respected coach Doug Collins after losing in the Eastern Conference Finals to Detroit. 

Collins had 2 strikes against him. 1) Strange in game decisions and substitution patterns, as well as disagreements with members of his coaching staff on those decisions (particularly Phil Jackson).  2) A failure to understand the changing league dynamic and learning to handle the millionaire superstar athlete.

Phil Jackson, a young, respected coaching mind with a grasp on player relationships, building trust and seeing basketball as through a different lens succeeded Collins. To this day, the two have little to say to each other. Both were highly successful and popular around the league. Both managing a young, superstar athlete breaking the mold of what a modern player was to be.

I see a lot of similarities. Let's hope it works out here, like it did back then.

What's not to like love about that analogy? 😄

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

The great worry seems to be that the owner and the owner's son, who have the final say, will not listen to reason and will mess up everything because they are not capable.

Gray, someone's going to be the architect. I continue to plead the case, who do you want to do that?

Yes, absolutely, if you want a nice house, you let professional architects make plans... the owners of the house get to dictate cost, sure, and get to approve the final architects' renderings, but the only persons around the planning and execution table... the NBA war room as it were... should be the people who've actually committed their careers to scouting, learning, studying players, and even better if those are people who have performed those tasks over an extended period of time, aka, "experienced."

And why is it such a weird idea that ownership would let basketball people make basketball decisions? Are we just so used to owners meddling in basketball ops in 2023 that we don't even bother to survey the rest of the NBA landscape for how others have come to expect their ownership to let basketball people lead?

I don't apologize, then, for worrying. This juncture represented/represents a chance to break away from the same-old-same-old.

Yes. I'm afraid by capitulating to Ressler, our new head coach may have already hurt chances for long-term success.

QS, again, is the only  person in the building who knows what he knows, who has the instincts, who is proven.

Only. One.

But Quin Snyder is going to be subservient and expected to bow to others' inclinations... and most outrageously, the owner.

I don't have any trepidation over who is going to be the architect.  Atlanta seems to be thinking outside of the box on a lot of things, and I like that.  I like it when you challenge conventional wisdom.  That's usually when you get innovative ideas.  The Hawks seem to have an intriguing mix to their hierarchy with Nick Ressler, Landry Fields, Ryan Silverstein, Grant Liffman, Kyle Korver, Dwight Lutz, and Dotun Akinwale.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Nick Ressler, Landry Fields, Ryan Silverstein, Grant Liffman, Kyle Korver, Dwight Lutz, and Dotun Akinwale.  

Who?

I'm sorry. But being reasonable will always > being "innovative."

Give the only man qualified to oversee this project the keys to the project.

Let all those people around the table be people around the table... fine... but don't flip the bird to giving the pilot's seat to the only man qualified by time and results to be a pilot.

To do this, is to just continue to enjoy more of Tony Ressler's heavy hand in areas where we need only basketball people having conversations.

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Who?

I'm sorry. But being reasonable will always > being "innovative."

Give the only man qualified to oversee this project the keys to the project.

Let all those people around the table be people around the table... fine... but don't flip the bird to giving the pilot's seat to the only man qualified by time and results to be a pilot.

To do this, is to just continue to enjoy more of Tony Ressler's heavy hand in areas where we need only basketball people having conversations.

Nah.  Throughout the history of sports, the best leaders are the ones who challenged conventional wisdom and did things differently than everyone else.  

When Bob Myers got the Golden State job, he was a sports agent.  He wasn't a scout or a "basketball guy".  He was an agent.  He put together a hell of a staff though that mixed scouting an analytics and bucked conventional thought on building that team.  

• Premium Member

I get it. This is a day of celebration. Who wants to quibble with "side" issues? We got our man, and the NBA world is taking notice of a normally unnoticed franchise. So much positivity. Why be negative.

Why not? Why not value both what is positive and negative. Why not engage critical thought and look at all sides of the ledger.

This is the shoe that, as-is, is poised to rub a blister.

Maybe it remedies itself. Maybe everything adjusts between the foot and the sock and the shoe. Maybe.

But it's a situation that history... our own history even, in addition to others... suggests often sees a blister arise... gets irritated... and eventually the whole limb's gotten infected, and entire amputations have eventually had to be performed. All because the shoe wasn't properly stretched in the first place to accommodate what was/is best.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I don't have any trepidation over who is going to be the architect.  Atlanta seems to be thinking outside of the box on a lot of things, and I like that.  I like it when you challenge conventional wisdom.  That's usually when you get innovative ideas.  The Hawks seem to have an intriguing mix to their hierarchy with Nick Ressler, Landry Fields, Ryan Silverstein, Grant Liffman, Kyle Korver, Dwight Lutz, and Dotun Akinwale.  

Nawl... I'm going to call a thing a thing. 

Some of these guys were hired because they are Nick Ressler's buddies.  That's it. One was an actor for godsakes. 

I like the idea of having some basketball guys in the FO.    Landry has held his own and I'm sure that Korver is no slouch and this may be the makeup of the new NBA.. but I can't cosign on the cronyism and try to call it innovative.   Getting Snyder is a great Plus.   He's a true Basketball mind.   But let's not F this up. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Bob Myers

Now c'mon. Bob Myers was an acclaimed sports agent for Arm Tellum. That easily translates to being someone who is intelligent about assessing talent versus compensation. He also had some personal knowledge having played the game at a high level in college.

Pray tell, KB... who even brings that much experience and success to the table.

And to my point is it your perception that the GSW ownership held a heavy hand in their basketball ops? I'm unsure that that was ever the case. Not like it is here in ATL.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

In 1989, the Chicago Bulls fired popular and respected coach Doug Collins after losing in the Eastern Conference Finals to Detroit. 

Collins had 2 strikes against him. 1) Strange in game decisions and substitution patterns, as well as disagreements with members of his coaching staff on those decisions (particularly Phil Jackson).  2) A failure to understand the changing league dynamic and learning to handle the millionaire superstar athlete.

Phil Jackson, a young, respected coaching mind with a grasp on player relationships, building trust and seeing basketball as through a different lens succeeded Collins. To this day, the two have little to say to each other. Both were highly successful and popular around the league. Both managing a young, superstar athlete breaking the mold of what a modern player was to be.

I see a lot of similarities. Let's hope it works out here, like it did back then.

Whoa! Sorry but we don't have Michael Jordan or do we have a young Scottie Pippen. I believe we got most of the pieces we need but definitely not all of the pieces we need. 

• Premium Member

Okay, I've given this thing too much of my time the last week. I need to detach and get back on-track with work instead of recreation.

But yeah, I think to be flippant toward this very weighty, significant issue is effectively to put oneself in this category...

2023-02-27_09-21-24.png

Just now, sturt said:

Okay, I've given this thing too much of my time the last week. I need to detach and get back on-track with work instead of recreation.

But yeah, I think to be flippant toward this very weighty, significant issue is effectively to put oneself in this category...

2023-02-27_09-21-24.png

I remember watching this in the 90s.