• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you do it??

Diesel

It's like the Falcons fans saying that they would rather roll with Ridder than take a shot at Lamar Jackson.

FOH with that.

That mentality just tells me that you don't want to elevate your expectations, just to be let down if the guy gets hurt.  That's what I see with a Zion trade to ATL.

Collins and Hunter for Zion?  And most of you would balk?  Wow.

Hot take:  Neither Collins nor Hunter will be on this team at the start of the 2024 - 25 season, regardless of who we pick up.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This is what Snyder said about Williamson...

“It’s hard to imagine being better at the rim,” Utah’s Quin Snyder said, prior to Williamson posting 26 points and 10 rebounds in Monday’s upset win over the Jazz. “He’s such a great finisher and so good in the paint.”

This offensive explosion happened with Gobert in the paint.  It's impressive. 

I do have some agreements with @Peoriabird believe it or not.  We haven't considered defense. 

• Offensively, when he plays, we would be unstoppable. 
  • Mentally, I think his mental would change being in Atlanta. 
  • Health wise,  Trae and Dejounte could mentor him.   Get him a chef and a trainer.  Making him a part of the boys club. 

Those things would have to happen though.  i.e. change in attitude towards the game..  and weight loss. 

The thing is that we are at a place where we have urgency.   What getting DJ and Snyder says about us... we have urgency. 

Of course losing all that salary of JC and Hunter would be a positive.  

But dumping it back into a guy who is not on the level of urgency that we have and who can't stay healthy.. is a very big risk. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Well, in a year you will have to own this @TheNorthCydeRises just like the Ben Simmons fans had to this year.

But what were the real expectations for Ben?  He wasn't even healthy when he went to Brooklyn.  Then he plays and gets hurt again.

I'm all about putting the Hawks in position to win a title.  If the conversation was about trading Trae and Dejounte for Zion, of course you don't do that.  But Hunter and Collins?  Come on now.  50% of the fan base wouldn't mind seeing them off the team anyway.

I'll gladly take a year rental on Zion, to see if his offense is the missing piece to a legit championship run.

• Moderators

If the clip Peo posted is accurate and his contract has both weight requirements and games played requirements or becomes unprotected (in whole in or in part) that does make him significantly more attractive.  The fact that he signed a contract like that is kind of astonishing to me.  I'm kind of shocked he didn't hold out for a fully guaranteed contract.  It also emphasizes just how big of a risk  Zion is both with his weight and physical health and with his mental health.  I wouldn't think about dealing for him unless I could get an independent evaluation on him.  The upside is real but the risk is blaring red flag status.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Collins and Hunter for Zion?  And most of you would balk?  Wow.

It's not about what we're giving up. I don't think anyone blinks if we trade JC or Hunter.

But we'd literally be paying someone the max who misses over 50% of the games. He's just eating away at the cap and sits on the bench because he can't stay healthy. 

No thanks...

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

If the clip Peo posted is accurate and his contract has both weight requirements and games played requirements or becomes unprotected (in whole in or in part) that does make him significantly more attractive.  The fact that he signed a contract like that is kind of astonishing to me.  I'm kind of shocked he didn't hold out for a fully guaranteed contract.  It also emphasizes just how big of a risk  Zion is both with his weight and physical health and with his mental health.  I wouldn't think about dealing for him unless I could get an independent evaluation on him.  The upside is real but the risk is blaring red flag status.

The sum of his weight and body fat percentage must be below 295. If it is not, the amount of guaranteed money in Williamson’s contract can be reduced.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And even with those stipulations in the contract he is still overweight and missing games voluntarily

the contract stipulations kick in from next season when his extension kicks in.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If he doesn't make the leap to that next level, and the Hawks can't get out of the 1st round, he'll be the first one that is traded off of this team.

And just what leap is Hunter going to make this time? He's been roughly the same since drafted.  Maybe...could...I see it...nah....possibly.  Damn.  Is no one else tired of that act? 💩 or get off the pot already .

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Zion is essentially like Ben Simmons. It's appealing to think of the possibilities but you'll be disappointed with the results.

To be fair to Ben Simmons he has legit mental and physical issues. Zion is just fat and refuses to lose weight. I mean I get the comparison but one dude has real health issues and the other is just fat. I got a lot of sympathy for one and zero for the other.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's like the Falcons fans saying that they would rather roll with Ridder than take a shot at Lamar Jackson.

I was on board with most of your points on this thread but I cannot get on board with this.  Trading that much draft capital and tying up that much money in an oft injured player is not the best use of resources IMO.

I think Ridder will be a pleasant surprise as will the team as a whole next season.

• Like 1